• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steelhead fishin

44newman

Anyone been? Iv hit Hells Canyon 3 times, always slow. But havent been in last 2 weeks,. Went to Troy 3rd weekend of Oct. Caught 1 lost 1, that was my 12 hrs. 6hrs per fish was stated and it held true.

yeah I go on the carbon, I used to go on Snoqualmie river, under the falls before it closed

r u catching steelies off the carbon?levi....i see scotty fishing down there ..or his truck parked at the skate park.

I have been thinking about going down the hill to the skykomish to see if I could hook into one but with all the rain its very muddy.

what are you using to catch the Steelheads?

Fished Hells Canyon (Grande Ronde to Kirby Creek) for two days a couple of weeks ago. Caught a handfull of decent natives but only one keeper. Nailed the **** out of catfish though.:haha:

IMG_0437.jpg

The counts are down but we're gonna hit up the John Day on friday anyway.

Fished Hells Canyon (Grande Ronde to Kirby Creek) for two days a couple of weeks ago. Caught a handfull of decent natives but only one keeper. Nailed the **** out of catfish though.:haha:

IMG_0437.jpg

The counts are down but we're gonna hit up the John Day on friday anyway.

Cool, The JD mouth? From a boat or the bank? How far up? Does it take a jet boat or will a prop do?
Ive been thinkin about takin my boat down there and I have a lot of Qs.
I actually live in JD.

We're gonna be fishin' out of a boat.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask about the JD. I've only been on it a few times. Never more than a three or four miles up which was no problem in a prop boat. Once you get past the campground up there (can't remember the name) you've got to watch out for shallow spots but you can still get about another mile up with a prop. I don't know how far but the jet boat guys are getting a ways up in there.

We usually don't fish more that far from the mouth. I'll post up some pics when we get back.

r u catching steelies off the carbon?levi....i see scotty fishing down there ..or his truck parked at the skate park.

well mostly kings on the carbon, yeah I took Scotty down there a couple times. He parked in front of the skatepark, I parked about 200 feet in front of him

I think this is one of the times we went

l_635218a857ba4e58a13298abf564bc05.jpg

We're gonna be fishin' out of a boat.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask about the JD. I've only been on it a few times. Never more than a three or four miles up which was no problem in a prop boat. Once you get past the campground up there (can't remember the name) you've got to watch out for shallow spots but you can still get about another mile up with a prop. I don't know how far but the jet boat guys are getting a ways up in there.

We usually don't fish more that far from the mouth. I'll post up some pics when we get back.

You guys just troll the banks? What do you guys use for lures?

You guys just troll the banks? What do you guys use for lures?

Usually troll the banks with bobber and shrimp. We only got one hit all day. We got it to the boat but it was native. Talke to some guys trolling with lures but they weren't having any luck either. We marked quite a few fish but just couldn't get em to bite.

From everything Ive read a black/silver glitter wiggle wart is king. Ive heard Umatilla mouth has a lot of coho.
My friend was at Hells Canyon Dam,couple days ago, he lost a couple. Talked to some others that had limited out on steelhead, and landed some chinook.

Was he below the dam? If so do they launch there or run up from one of the landings down river?

Yep, below Hells Canyon Dam. Its the first dam going up the snake without a fish ladder (end of the line). You can launch about a half mile below the dam, nice launch facility. But a lot of lewiston boats show up from down river.

Its the first dam going up the snake without a fish ladder (end of the line).

I've only been to the dam once but it never even dawned on me that there wasn't a fish ladder. I'm an idiot:mad::haha:

Kind've off the fishing topic but I'd like to run the river up to the damn in the spring in a smaller boat. The one I went up in was actually an open top tour boat, about a 30'er. I've seen some of the youtube videos of the HCM crew running the upper canyon and the Salmon during the spring runoff and it looks INTENSE.:011:

Bellow Hells Canyon Dam. Found 1 bouncing pink shrimp on the bottom. Lots of Salmon being caught but season is closed, Most look like hell anyway. I was the only guy to try bottom fishin, and caught 1 and lost 1 in 1/2 hour time, then broke off so much line I couldnt reach the hole anymore:mad: Had to go back to bobber fishin
ID side wasnt an busy as normal. OR side was full but not to full.
DSC01205.jpg

We hit the Grande Ronde next weekend from the bank. Anyone have any advice for it? I think at least one of us will be using a fly.