• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering pump feed line

nhl_bullitt

Southern IL/MO
How long (but still properly works) are some of your feed lines that go from your reservoirs to your pump? Pictured is my old buggy. I was proud of the mounting I came up with on the 4.0 to get that res fitting mounted perfectly in line and keep that hose short as hell. On my current build, it is going to have to be longer. The reservoir is mounted much higher than the pump, gravity will be on my side ...but the length has me concerned. With that said, I'm pretty sure I've seen some nice buggies with them mounted all the way back at the cowl. :dunno:

Maximum 16" according to PSC.

From their site:

Reservoir Installation Checklist:
1. Keeping in mind the pump is gravity fed, the reservoir should be the
highest point in the power steering system. This will help ensure the pump
gets all the fuid it needs as easily as possible, greatly extending the life and
performance of the pump. If the reservoir is too low some components may
drain back into the reservoir upon engine is shut of. This can cause leaking
or, worse, allow air into the system. Another problem with a reservoir
mounted low is that the pump will be working overtime, all the time.
2. It is preferable to mount the reservoir directly over the pump. If this is not
possible, in front of the pump is typically better than behind it.

3. If the reservoir must mount to the frame, body, etc (anywhere not directly
tied to the engine) take special care that the feed line will not become
stressed during engine torque over or other twisting and flexing maneuvers.
4. Use a baffled reservoir. A properly baffled reservoir will help keep air out
of the system. A non-baffled, or poorly baffled reservoir can introduce air
simply by allowing air to mix with the fluid as it enters the reservoir.
5. The feed line should be kept as short and straight as possible. It should
not have any dips or sharp bends and should never run below the level of the pump. The feed line should
never be crimped, looped, or run horizontal – it should always be flowing downhill into the pump, the steeper
the better. The longer the feed line, the harder it is for the pump to draw fluid in. It should not exceed 16
inches
. The feed line should also be of suffcient size to meet the demands of the pump, #10 is the
recommended minimum. Do not use the supplied -6 pressure line as the feed line, use the -10 feed line. When
attaching the feed line to the pump, do not over tighten! The wrench used is typically long providing a great
deal of leverage, it is not uncommon to see these fittings twisted off.
6. The reservoir should be vented, and this vent must remain open. The reservoir cap can be drilled and
tapped to accept a 90 degree fitting if this helps with clearance issues. If the vent is spitting fluid, it is a sure
sign that air is in the system and needs to be bled.
7. Do not bend any fittings. Example: bending a 90 into a 120. This will result in restricted flow.
8. The reservoir should be filled to 1" below the top of the reservoir (see illustration). On single ended
cylinder applications this should be measured with the cylinder collapsed.

easleycrawler said:
I don't have a buggy. But on my yota, mine is about 11"-13". It works perfectly fine.
Thanks.

Thanks John. I actually saw that on PSC which is kind of what sparked this.

Am I seeing this picture correctly though? That reservoir looks to be way back there. Mine would be closer than that by quite a bit.

1381338d1405258544-2012-jimmy-smith-buggy-image.jpg

My old buggy chassis had a loop in the feed line and I never had steering issues. The resi was too close to the pump to feed it directly. So I'd say you can get my with less than ideal situations but you will have to try and see.

I saw one bouncer with the resi mounted back by the firewall, and they had almost like an extra resi tank welded up right above the pump, so maybe it held enough fluid in it for steep climbs.

The BK buggy has or had it mounted dam near the firewall. I had asked bout it being a problem, never got a response but the buggy sure does work well. Mine is so tight in that area it sucks. I actually am working on a hole in my hood. From the hood barely hittin the vent nipple on the cap of res. Sucks. But works.

nhl_bullitt said:
Thanks.

Thanks John. I actually saw that on PSC which is kind of what sparked this.

Am I seeing this picture correctly though? That reservoir looks to be way back there. Mine would be closer than that by quite a bit.

1381338d1405258544-2012-jimmy-smith-buggy-image.jpg
. Yes that one was way back but it still seemed to work fine. Idk I only owned it for a short amount of time don't think Brinker had any issues with it tho either

Re: Re: Steering pump feed line

redneckengineered said:
You can push the limit of the length as long as the pump is more or less still being gravity fed. Honest question but does the pump care how far away it is from the reservoir if the fluid is essentially still flowing down hill?
As long as the hose is big enough to constantly keep it fed fluid.

Thanks for all the feed back everybody. Makes me feel better. I should be alright.

Never caught that you owned that buggy Nathan. 2 bouncers at once has potential to be a maintenance nightmare. Haha

I know the closer the better. My new buggy is a straight shot 6" long but my wife's buggy (Lady Luck) had a bad reservoir placement when I built it , when she rolled the res. Hit the ground so I recently moved it to the back of the motor guard and ran hose straight to the pump like the busted knuckle buggy . It's gotta be at least 18-20" away from pump and it seems to work just fine . Not ideal but her buggy is so small and her pump is mounted rather high so it's the only place i could safely mount the reservoir and still be above the pump level