• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering System for an XJ/TJ

FiFo

After spending the weekend at Rim Rock I need to replace the drag link, tie rod, and pitman arm in my Cherokee. What steering system does everyone recommend and is there any way I could flip my tie rod up in order to keep it from smacking into things. FYI I am running a High Pinion Dana 30 and have a 5.5 inch lift, the steering system in a XJ is the same as in a TJ.

Currie sells a "Heavy Duty tie rod system" that includes a drag link and tie rod as well as all the ends. They claim it is 200% stronger then OEM, but it wouldn't flip my tie rod. What does everyone recommend?

OTK is tough to do with the 30, and in opinion, not worth it. I ran Avanteone's 1 ton tie-rod set up on my 30, and now on my HP D44. Totally bullet proof and has never let me down. He's got a few sets in stock, if I remember correctly.

-----Matt-----

P.S. You're in the next issue of CRAWL, Mike. :cool:

teraflex makes a knuckle that you can flip but i haven't heard anything good about it.
you should just go with the currie set up unless you like to replace the stock stuff.
the currie is the way that i should have gone, but i just replaced by draglink and steering damper on saturday after elbe last weekend.this is the second draglink in the last two years that i have replaced on my tj.

The stock tie rods in a TJ or Cherokee are a joke.

That said, you may not need to go to the Super Heavy duty /bulletproof aftermarket system.

I would suggest the factory tie rod from a V8 grand Cherokee. They are solid forged rods and fairly beefy. This is a pretty common OEM upgrade and is the one I run on a TJ. There are articles on this swap on the internet; try
http://www.nwjeepn.com/TJTieRod.html

If you roll straight on into a rock, something has gotta bend. You want a tie rod that will bend before you start snapping ball joints, also something you can straighten safely IMHO.

Last edited:
I have a custom made tie rod and drag link (prolly be too short but can be retubed) plus I have the Teraflex Crossover arm, if you want to come take a look at it/buy it:redneck: you are more than welcome to hop over the river to my place if you're out at tom's. :awesomework:

One thing I was gonna add....IMO get the teraflex arm, ream it out to 3/4 ton or 1 ton stuff, along with you other joints... I have another pitman arm if you need it, I just took it off...It's from a YJ though...:eeek:

Last edited:
I have the currie kit on my rig.

I like it just fine, I've bent the tie rod on it. But the draglink and tie rod are mighty beefcake.

I've had it on the rig for about 2 years of DD/WW. I finally need to replace the tie rod ends on it.

The only thing I don't like about the kit is you have to replace the drag link entirely at the passenger side knuckle. There is no option from currie to just have it set up for a TRE at the passenger side knuckle.

Anywho, I really like it and if you keep it greased it should last you a long time as just a weekend wheeler. It's fawking beefcake.

The only reason I bent the tie rod is because I wheel like a pissed off teenager.

My 2 Cents ..

Build what you need from parts that a very common and beefy. I have been thinking about this for awhile and Chevy one ton ends do fit that discription. Besides if you find your self in the middle of no where you can steel a tie rod from either Tom or Karl's truck. :D

Besides if you find your self in the middle of no where you can steel a tie rod from either Tom or Karl's truck. :D

Different tierods on the new trucks than the ones used for a "1ton TRE upgrade"

Mike the down side to the Currie set up is you have to get replacement TRE's from Currie and the draglink rod end on the axle side is only serviced as part of the draglink:looser: which is why mine hasn't been replaced yet.

Different tierods on the new trucks than the ones used for a "1ton TRE upgrade"

Mike the down side to the Currie set up is you have to get replacement TRE's from Currie and the draglink rod end on the axle side is only serviced as part of the draglink:looser: which is why mine hasn't been replaced yet.

It isn't really that big a deal.

The draglink is $125 and the TRE's are $50 a pop. But they are fawkin beefy.

Polish that turd to a high mirror shine.

I support Avantone's set up!! I dont run it yet but I have seen it in action and lik e ixnayxj said..its bulletproof!

alittle spendy but worth it in the long run!

support local venders first!!!:awesomework: