• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering woes

chainsaw

I have a Dana 44 with flat top knuckles, Sky high steer arms both side, 1 ton TRE's on everything, and 1 1/2" DOM for the links. I have two problems, #1 the tie rod touches the pitman arm at full stuff on the drivers side, so my solution to that is to just give up full high steer and put the tie rod on the 44 knuckles arms (lower) so that solves problem #1. Problem #2 is good old bumpsteer, I have 10 degrees from level on the drag link, I could ream the steer arm from the bottom but that puts the TRE attached to the arm 2 1/8"s closer to the spring, loosing me that much up travel. So my question is can I get away with hydro assist to help with bump steer? Will it help at all? I plan on doing hydro assist anyway but Im wondering if I can keep the steering (thats attachet to the pitman arm) up out of the way also..?

Please help:hi:

Whats your caster?
What pitman arm are you using? Maybe change the pitman arm drop to take some angle out.
Spacer block on the high-steer arm to raise it up and flatten the DL?

Got pictures of your set-up?
They hydro-assist would probably do a pretty good job of masking the bump-steer.

Scoot that steering box ahead a bit or run a flatter pitman arm. are you running a steering stabilizer? if not that helps quite a bit, and yes hydro assist will wipe out alot of bumpsteer you might still have a little bumpsteer but it definately helps.

Whats your caster?
What pitman arm are you using? Maybe change the pitman arm drop to take some angle out.
Spacer block on the high-steer arm to raise it up and flatten the DL?

Got pictures of your set-up?
They hydro-assist would probably do a pretty good job of masking the bump-steer.

Caster is 6*. I have the SKY tall high steer arms. Spacing up the passenger side would help but then the drag link would hit the bottom of the frame at stuff. + stacking steering box scares the **** out of me! Unless I could get those fancy keyed ones.

Unfortunatelly the comp Im using is old as crap so I cant upload pics.

Scoot that steering box ahead a bit or run a flatter pitman arm. are you running a steering stabilizer? if not that helps quite a bit, and yes hydro assist will wipe out alot of bumpsteer you might still have a little bumpsteer but it definately helps.

Thought about that too, there is a body mount in the way so I could only get 1/2" forward or rebuild the whole body mount. Ugh..
The bumpsteer isnt unmanagable, just annoying mostly, serious taming would be a great start.
What's your lift, and how tall is it?

Its full custom. SAS on a 00 Nissan frontier waggy 44 with stock waggy spring SOA. Factory steering box.

Here we go, this is my buddies truck, same set up as me + hydro assist. His drag link goes to the bottom of his pitman arm, the one thing I want to avoid. Ill put the hydro assist on and see how bad the bumpsteer is with it, if it still sucks Ill put the drag link on the bottom of the pitman.
P4214287.jpg

Last edited:
When you flip an axle to SOA from SUA often the caster and camber are overlooked, in lieu of driveshaft angularity.

The drag link and tie rod both look OK.

I'd take it in for an alignment, see what the specs are.

Latest posts