• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

steering ??

phil

Just got my 75 gmc home. kinda scary, felt like i was all over the road.it's got 37/14.5r15 toyo's. Is this normal, somthin i have to get used to, or can I do somthin for more control. soon I will get a smaller steering wheel (get rid of the school bus one thats in there now).???? phil:rolleyes:

Ball joints, tie rod ends, steering gearbox, wheel bearings, leaf spring bushings.

I'd start there then also shocks and sway bar bushings might help too.

Also look for obvious broken stuff like leaf spring center pins, bent leaf springs, bent tie rod.

You could also check the toe-in with a tape measure, if thats way off it could cause the bad handling too.

The last one is the least likely but everything I listed (and probably several I forgot) has happened to me- mabey I should write a book about death wobble :redneck:

Ball joints, tie rod ends, steering gearbox, wheel bearings, leaf spring bushings.

I'd start there then also shocks and sway bar bushings might help too.

Also look for obvious broken stuff like leaf spring center pins, bent leaf springs, bent tie rod.

You could also check the toe-in with a tape measure, if thats way off it could cause the bad handling too.

The last one is the least likely but everything I listed (and probably several I forgot) has happened to me- mabey I should write a book about death wobble :redneck:

add pinion shims to that list too. If it has them, bad news.

what the hell is apinion shim? U arn't talking a pinion gear( front/rear) shim are u??? sorry the FNG

Look for wedge shaped shims under the leaf packs, between the spring and the axle. People use them to correct front driveshaft angles sometimes. The will cause the front end to "wander" more, not return to center.

Like crazydaze mentioned look around the steering box bolts for cracks or it might be falling off!:;

Probably just used to driving the S10 phil:;...All of the above mentioned items are things to look for....Also, what lift you running???And is there a raised steering arm to supposedly correct for bump steer? If it's a 4" suspension lift--and has a steering correction arm(raised), take that fawker outta there, and put in a stock arm...This will do wonders for driveability...:awesomework:

not my s-10 its my buddys. I have the GRAND PRIVILAGE of dd an 84 honda civic WAGON WOO_HOO and ur right i've been in a low rider too long

Latest posts