• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Storing a rig longterm

1TONZR2

Big mudda fugga!
Ok fellas, as many of you know, I will be leaving to go overseas for a year, so I need to get my rig ready for storage. Are there any precautions I should take to prep it before I leave? I figured I would put some drain most of the fuel and treat what is left in the tank with stabil or something similar. I have also thought about pulling the tires/wheels off and setting the rig on jackstands so the tires do not flat spot from sitting for a year. Should I drain the NO2 from my shocks/bumps? Engine oil treatment? I have never had to park something for this long, so this is new to me and any help or ideas would be appreciated!! :dblthumb: :drinkers:

Brian

-drain fuel
-Jackstand truck
-disconnect battery
-ensure coolant has enough antifreeze to not freeze

thats it bro

EDIT: oh yeah and leave a list of what you did so you remember what you need to undo.

1TONZR2 said:
I was hoping you would chime in. I know you have stored some vehicles long term. shocks should be good I guess?
`

if you are really concerned you can jack stand the body and the axles. take the load off the suspension, and the axle load off the tires.

Dad has told me to overfill the oil and tranny and diff fluid and top off the radiator and brake fluid. I've never done any of that.
You're going to want change all the fluids when you get back and take it from storage as well.

oh yeah and where ever you park it, have some one routinely put rat poison in the corner of the storage. keep those ****ers out of your wiring and off your hoses.

Pull the plugs and spray the cylinders with a big shot of WD40 and then roll the engine over to coat the cylinder walls. This will displace any moisture and keep the rings from sticking. Definately a good idea to jack the body and let the suspension hang. Best of luck to you and come back safe. :dblthumb:

I have done this as well. Wyatt is on the money. Only thing extra I have done is ran the engine until it ran out of fuel before putting the wd-40 or mystery oil in the pistons. The rat poison is a good idea as well. All I had to do both times I came back was replace the battery.

Thanks guys. The rig is going to be left in garage, so hopefully the rats won't be a problem. Good idea on the wd40 or marvel oil. I was pretty much planning on buying a new bbattery when I got back, since the current one already dies within a few days of no use.

I will volunteer to come get it and do all the work for you. Might take me a couple of months to do it, but eventually I will get tired of driving it and store it. molaugh

1TONZR2 said:
Thanks guys. The rig is going to be left in garage, so hopefully the rats won't be a problem.

My Uncle uses some rat and mouse deterent stuff that is in small blocks to protect his tractors in the barn. Maybe toss one or two on your floorboard?

Good Luck and Thanks :dblthumb:

dont put any rat or mouse stuff in the cab, its actually bait, so it will attrack them to the poison. Dont want them finding ways into your cab then dying inside.

Marvel Mystery oil is the ****.

Chas, you are not the only one to voluteer to "take care" of it. :****: after drivnig a cab truck, you wont want to drive your buggy...... :wtflol: :****: :gtfo:

Thanks guys for the info, I will start getting it ready once I get back from Indiana.

Brian

1TONZR2 said:
Chas, you are not the only one to voluteer to "take care" of it. :****: after drivnig a cab truck, you wont want to drive your buggy...... :wtflol: :****: :gtfo:

Brian

I'm there for you big guy! Just doing my part while you're doing yours. THANKS...

Dont worry about the tires, i plan on borrowing them! thumb.gif And i can always swing by once a month to crank it / drive it around your neighborhood

I think your better off filling the fuel completly full and adding stabil fuel stabilizer. Empty fuel line tend to harden and dry up. Just what I have seen over the years with lawnmowers & such as they tend to to set long periods of time without use. You need it low of fuel though when you add it then fill the tank and run it for a few to get it in the fuel delivery system. JMHO Stay safe man and thanks for your service.

Macman said:
I think your better off filling the fuel completly full and adding stabil fuel stabilizer. Empty fuel line tend to harden and dry up. Just what I have seen over the years with lawnmowers & such as they tend to to set long periods of time without use. You need it low of fuel though when you add it then fill the tank and run it for a few to get it in the fuel delivery system. JMHO Stay safe man and thanks for your service.

The problem is that with modern gasoline it has so much ethanol in it. If you have any sort of vent on the system the ethanol evaporates and leaves you with bad gas. On all of our hotrods, you will only ever catch me putting 4-5 gallons in ever (unless we're roadtripping it) and try to keep them close to empty because they dont have sealed systems and I know 50% or greater will evaporate before I drive them again even if its only a weak later. I mean no reason to put $4/gallon in knowing that alot is going to evaporate. :(

Do you have a fuel cell, is there foam in it? I've heard its better to keep the foam covered with fuel then to be empty or just pull it out.