• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Street legal RZR in Alabama?

ibrokeit said:
Its not that simple. I promise. From what I understand, they have to send a sheriff out to your house to inspect the vehicle. They arent stupid.

yeah but the sheriff may be!

really though, if you have the necessary items to make it street legal, why wouldn't they sign off on it?

I saw tons of rzrs running around on the streets here last summer, and a couple local shops were advertising "street legal conversions"...

I haven't saw any this summer and no more advertisements ???

I dunno if the state cut down on it or what,

Tenessee is very easy to get a tag in, from what I understand. GA has a loophole that lets you get away with riding them with NO tag. I am thinking I may try this route. Ill take a $86 chance. I already have a windshield and 2 side mirrors on it.

ibrokeit said:
I did find this from someone in GA. $86 for an Arizona Plate. 2 guys did the 4800 mile Eastern TransAmerican Trail on their rzr's.

"I never went to the tag office, I hired a title service company in AZ. Call Robin Pendergrtaft 1-623-581-8281 ext 12 with Sierra Title Service. She will email you the paper work, you fill it out, get it notarized, mail it back to her with a check and she gets the tag for you. There is no inspections or requirements. You have to have insurance and give her a AZ address. The address is never verified and is only used to put in the DMV data base. She will mail you the tag where ever you want it. It took about 10 days. "

http://www.southeastsxs.com/technical-discussion/1651-got-my-tag-today.html

I don't know if this helps or not, but I have a bare bones XR650R SuperMoto tagged/insured in AL. I did several thousand road miles on it last year, and went through at least 10 traffic stops on it (Insane amount of checkpoints around here), and even pulled over once (He didn't like my lack of turn signals, but the law wasn't on his side) without any trouble.

Now as the OP has said, it is basically impossible to get anything with an off-road title ( Such as my XRR ) tagged in Al. The funny thing is that there is supposed to be a way to get vehicles like this or ground up custom built vehicles inspected for road worthiness for them to issue you a title, but there is apparently no document written yet that says exactly who is supposed to do this or would have the authority to do so ( Thats basically Alabama Govt. for you ).

You have to get it tagged in another state that allows it first. They will issue you a title that no longer says off-road. Then it is easy to transfer your tag to AL. When I first regd. my bike I was a little worried. The lady at the tag/title office had to "inspect" it which entailed no more than making sure that the VIN matched the title. When she first saw it she said " Huh, never seen one like that before", and that was about all the concern she had.

Anyway... I think the $86 AZ deal is probably your best bet. Even if you have family in a state that you could title it in that would be willing to help it's probably worth the money to save everybody the hassle. Ride on the AZ Tag until your Reg. is up for renewal, then convert to AL tag.

Sean

LiveOff-Road said:
I don't know if this helps or not, but I have a bare bones XR650R SuperMoto tagged/insured in AL. I did several thousand road miles on it last year, and went through at least 10 traffic stops on it (Insane amount of checkpoints around here), and even pulled over once (He didn't like my lack of turn signals, but the law wasn't on his side) without any trouble.

Now as the OP has said, it is basically impossible to get anything with an off-road title ( Such as my XRR ) tagged in Al. The funny thing is that there is supposed to be a way to get vehicles like this or ground up custom built vehicles inspected for road worthiness for them to issue you a title, but there is apparently no document written yet that says exactly who is supposed to do this or would have the authority to do so ( Thats basically Alabama Govt. for you ).

You have to get it tagged in another state that allows it first. They will issue you a title that no longer says off-road. Then it is easy to transfer your tag to AL. When I first regd. my bike I was a little worried. The lady at the tag/title office had to "inspect" it which entailed no more than making sure that the VIN matched the title. When she first saw it she said " Huh, never seen one like that before", and that was about all the concern she had.

Anyway... I think the $86 AZ deal is probably your best bet. Even if you have family in a state that you could title it in that would be willing to help it's probably worth the money to save everybody the hassle. Ride on the AZ Tag until your Reg. is up for renewal, then convert to AL tag.

Sean

Awesome. Good to hear somebody with real world experience. I honestly think that if I get an Arizona tag/title, the monkies at the tag office here would just shrug and look at the vin number. My guess is I wont be able to ride much on the Arizona tag (cops around here will give me a hard time, tell me its not legal in alabama, etc.) but once I get the AL tag that should go away.

I live in TN and had no problem getting a medium speed tag (45 or less) for mine. My friend just went a few months ago and lady at the tag office said dont those go alot faster and he ended up with a motorcycle tag :****: They are renting RZRs to the tourist in Gatlinburg and they are riding them everywhere.

I wish somebody would try the az tag in Alabama so I'll know it'll werk. I just don't wanna be the guinea pig, I'm also concerned with the local pd, there's a rzr problem in my town n they r assholes about it booyang

race_jeep said:
I wish somebody would try the az tag in Alabama so I'll know it'll werk. I just don't wanna be the guinea pig, I'm also concerned with the local pd, there's a rzr problem in my town n they r assholes about it booyang
That sounds like a good story line for a horror movie! :****: Gayzrs everywhere run!

I was in AZ the past few days.
They are all over in the smaller towns.
And even got passed by a 4 seat XP on the highway near Bouse, NV. I was going 55ish and he bombed past me like I was dragging a 'chute

Heres from 1st of June in Lake Havasu on the Main drag.

what you gotta do to get it tagged in tenn? ive been seeing them driving up and down the boulevard in my town aint noticed any mirrors or turn signals. thinking bout just taking the vin # up to court house and asking for a tag.

youngbloodlvmc said:
what you gotta do to get it tagged in tenn? ive been seeing them driving up and down the boulevard in my town aint noticed any mirrors or turn signals. thinking bout just taking the vin # up to court house and asking for a tag.

I've always been told they had to have Hi and Low beams, turn signals, brake lights, windshields, mirrors, and DOT approved tires on it.

guess ill try to catch one of them stopped sum where n ask if they getting harassed by cops or anything. i aint even noticed them having tags on them just that little white square sticker on the side which i got on mine and don't really no what its for. its the size of the sticker you put on your tags for the experiation date

I think the Arizona tag thing would work, hell where i work (West Ga) they put Illinois tags on all the 1 ton and larger trucks with a DOT number so we wouldn't have to get trip permits when we cross the Alabama state line anymore

ridered3 said:
I've always been told they had to have Hi and Low beams, turn signals, brake lights, windshields, mirrors, and DOT approved tires on it.

TN has changed some laws this year.
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

This is a direct link of where it is stored online, straight from TN.gov http://www.tn.gov/regboards/mvc/law.shtml

^ there is the TN codes, Title 55 is the Vehicle code.

You have to have a horn, 2 head lights (no hi/low beam required), 2 rear tail lights, 2 rear brake lights, blinkers are not even mentioned,windshields are required to have wipers (but windshields are not required), 1 mirror is required, Tires aren't even mentioned...

The 2010 vehicle code didnt' even requrie headlights or taillights! Good thing I looked into it :spin:

TBItoy said:
TN has changed some laws this year.
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

This is a direct link of where it is stored online, straight from TN.gov http://www.tn.gov/regboards/mvc/law.shtml

^ there is the TN codes, Title 55 is the Vehicle code.

You have to have a horn, 2 head lights (no hi/low beam required), 2 rear tail lights, 2 rear brake lights, blinkers are not even mentioned,windshields are required to have wipers (but windshields are not required), 1 mirror is required, Tires aren't even mentioned...

The 2010 vehicle code didnt' even requrie headlights or taillights! Good thing I looked into it :spin:

Good info as always. Got to love state codes that require wipers with a windshield but don't require windshields...

Re: Re: Re: Street legal RZR in Alabama?

ridered3 said:
Good info as always. Got to love state codes that require wipers with a windshield but don't require windshields...

And if you read the laws about frame height and suspension, there are specific exceptions for "4x4 recreational vehicles".

The steering law is a bit sketchy though, the way I read it is that non factory steering is technically illegal

ibrokeit said:
Bringing this back up for round 2 since I own a rzr now. Anybody?

I have a tag on my Teryx.
Went in to get a LSV tag, after some confusion & a few phone calls from the clerk to the state office, i came out with a tag receipt that says "Passenger- Auto"...

The clerk may have made a mistake but i didn't say anything. Still shows Passenger Auto after renewal also.