• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Street legal RZR in Alabama?

Took the 'Rex with me to tag office on a trailer. (Tuscaloosa county)
-They checked the VIN # on the frame (which has to be a 17 digit number), compared it to the bill of sale.
-Looked to make sure it had the sticker that says it meets emissions standards. Didn't say anything about aftermarket exhaust being on it.
-Had to have proof of insurance, of course.
Didn't check lights functionality, no mention of not having signals, windshield, etc. Tires were not DOT. Didn't look at those either.

I had to pay some kind of fees from the date I bought it, even though I argued with them that it wasn't used on public roads until i decided to tag it. I bought it new, so i had already paid Bama sales tax.
Think it cost $140 or so the first time, can't remember how much renewal was last year. Maybe $60 or so i think

A guy i work with had gone to the same tag office the week before i did & his paperwork shows "LSV" & they did the same checks on his Polaris Ranger. He just wanted to be able to ride in his neighborhood without getting ticketed anyway.

Awesome. I shall try that this week! I just thought that along with bill of sale, you had to have a previous title or MSO. Guess not.

mine is register here in tn all I have is turn signals front windshield horn and mirrors and stock tires

thomasbynum said:
Took the 'Rex with me to tag office on a trailer. (Tuscaloosa county)
-They checked the VIN # on the frame (which has to be a 17 digit number), compared it to the bill of sale.
-Looked to make sure it had the sticker that says it meets emissions standards. Didn't say anything about aftermarket exhaust being on it.
-Had to have proof of insurance, of course.
Didn't check lights functionality, no mention of not having signals, windshield, etc. Tires were not DOT. Didn't look at those either.

I had to pay some kind of fees from the date I bought it, even though I argued with them that it wasn't used on public roads until i decided to tag it. I bought it new, so i had already paid Bama sales tax.
Think it cost $140 or so the first time, can't remember how much renewal was last year. Maybe $60 or so i think

A guy i work with had gone to the same tag office the week before i did & his paperwork shows "LSV" & they did the same checks on his Polaris Ranger. He just wanted to be able to ride in his neighborhood without getting ticketed anyway.

So you didnt take any paperwork with you other than bill of sale and proof of insurance? How long ago was this?

race_jeep said:
I wish somebody would try the az tag in Alabama so I'll know it'll werk. I just don't wanna be the guinea pig, I'm also concerned with the local pd, there's a rzr problem in my town n they r assholes about it booyang

You ready to be the pig yet??

ibrokeit said:
So you didnt take any paperwork with you other than bill of sale and proof of insurance? How long ago was this?

Sorry, i haven't been on here in a while...

I took all the paperwork that i was given at the dealership when i first bought it. I'm pretty sure the bill of sale & insurance were the only things they were concerned about.
It has been almost 2 years ago. And i asked about a LSV tag. Somehow ended up with paperwork that said "passenger- auto". Think that was a mistake on their part.
The LSV tags are intended mostly for the street legal golf cart type vehicles. I think the vehicle is supposed to be limited to a certain mph to be eligible. The tag person didn't say anything about top speed.

I just got a tag on my rzr 900 4, wasn't that hard . It had a TN tag already . They acted like that didnt matter though? I had to get insurance and have it inspected at the tag office. All the inspection was they looked for a emission sticker , which it had .... Seems like they didnt really give a **** what it said other than it needed to say it passed emission...!? Heck I even got a personalized tag!! Lol

ibrokeit said:
Any trouble so far driving it on the street (with the law)?

No, but haven't seen any cops when i have had it on the street. Normally if i'm on a public road, its just on small county roads or dirt roads. I run it a few miles on Hwy 43 to fuel up sometimes.

My buddy has one on a 400 Ranger & had been stopped by Northport cops in is neighborhood before he tagged it. No ticket but told him he'd get one next time they saw him (without a tag). Hasn't had an issue since he put the tag on.

wannabe said:
thought alabama didnt have any emissions ****?

No emissions sniffer test. They just look for the OEM sticker that says "this vehicle conforms to 2013 federal emisions standards" or something to that effect. (Not a sticker saying it had been checked)

B.DRAKE said:
Where would one get an emission sticker?

Mine was on the center console & part of it had been torn off with a pressure washer spray, but you could still read most of it so they didn't mind.
If yours has been removed i would think you could get one from rockymountain or bikebandit, somewhere that sells OEM parts & decals.