• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Stu's new ride

Ok, I was looking at it on my phone and zoomed in and still couldn't tell. But I was thinking, damn Crash has balls, throwing a hole saw on a grinder. :redneck:

I have a hard enough time not hurting myself notching tube,lol...

..after all this time I just found this thread! Duh!

Crash, it is coming along great! So glad we got this one going instead of that '81.

It is getting a winch that might help it level out, but I think I'll look into longer shackles or something for the rear. I hope the Waggy's are not wrapping and bending too much. May have to do a 3rd link in version 2.0.

Thanks for the pics and status twiggy! :awesomework:

Not mine, I know where an older upright is for a screamin' deal if you're interested...:awesomework:

Time for an update. I was hoping to be able to whip thru this but due to family stuff its going to be slow.

Time to dig into the front end.

1-Need to roll the front forward on the perch's.
2-Move steering box
3-shock hoops
4-bump stops

stu-43.jpg

stu-44.jpg

I was lazy and just pulled the u-bolts and slid the axle to one side. I redrilled the perch's and spring pates and flipped the center pins so I could drill a smaller hole.

stu-45.jpg

stu-46.jpg

stu-47.jpg

stu-48.jpg

Pulled the steering box/removed upper mount and prepped the frame. Good thing I am doing this as the upper mount had 1/2 weld torn.

stu-50.jpg

I was almost going to go simple and order a new flat pitman arm. I said screw that and did what I have done a number of times---made a new flat pitman arm.

stu-51.jpg

New fully sleeved mount all done up. I just gotta pick up a couple bolts and then the box is ready to install. Once I get it in I can look at how I wanna do the steering shaft on this version.

stu-53.jpg

stu-54.jpg

Still putting along as time is available.

So since the steering box was mounted it was time to get the steering shaft done. The hard part about the 3rd gen is the fact there is no slip collar to knock loose to extend it, instead they use a collapsible setup. So I simply cut that out.

stu-55.jpg

The steering shaft OD is roughly .750 and I happen to have some tube with a .750 ID so it was quite simple to get the correct length.

stu-56.jpg

Once the shaft was done I found center of the box and finished assembling the rest of the steering--thats off the list.

stu-57.jpg

does that steering shaft have anyway to collapse? If not your going to be takin it straight through the chest if you hit something hard in the driver front

does that steering shaft have anyway to collapse? If not your going to be takin it straight through the chest if you hit something hard in the driver front

In 15 years and dozens of rigs its never been an issue and probably not going to be an issue on a trail rig

So I got both shock hoops done. I forgot I really need to get a leather hood for squeezing my head into those little places--ever since I used maulers once I have really wanted one.

stu-59.jpg

stu-60.jpg

I also started cutting parts for the bump stops--last piece of the puzzle for the front suspension.