• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Stu's new ride

stu-82.jpg

silly question, but what is the point of the raised portion that you eventually bolted a strap to, to the upper portion of the core support? curiousity has me on this one.

nicely done for sure. how much room did you gain by cutting the core support and replacing it with the thicker piece? 2"?

silly question, but what is the point of the raised portion that you eventually bolted a strap to, to the upper portion of the core support? curiousity has me on this one.

nicely done for sure. how much room did you gain by cutting the core support and replacing it with the thicker piece? 2"?

Look closely at the last picture/look right behind the winch spool.

2-2.5" or so.

It's getting SO close. Now I am really getting excited! I know there is some snow somewhere around here! Soon, the pics will be action shots! Thanks for the top notch work Mike!

Getting closer... The next few days will be very slow as I try and get that square peg into that round hole :awesomework:

One important thing to replace is the support for the hood latch. There is ZERO strength in the upper core support so I built a support that bolts to the top of the winch protector.

stu-88.jpg

I ended up cutting an oblong hole for the winch wires to pass thru and then to protect the wires I took rubber hose and slit it. It then fits nicely into the edge of the sheetmetal. Once in place I use liquid tape to lock the edging into place--this has worked very well in past years.

stu-89.jpg

stu-90.jpg

Now this I really fought with trying to find a good place to fit. I didn't have room behind the grill without fully butchering it but I also wanted it in a easily accessible location. I finally found this spot and built a nice bracket to hold it.

stu-91.jpg

So with how I want to do the stock bumper I wanted some sort of protection for the studs on the winch motor and those silly stock boots the winch comes with just simply won't cut it. This is what I came up with.

stu-92.jpg

I temporally hooked up the winch to get the rope on the drum/outa the way.

Now this turned out allot better than I was hoping.

stu-93.jpg

stu-94.jpg

stu-95.jpg

Also cut the bumper ends to hopefully clear the tires.

stu-96.jpg

So I just gotta get the optima battery in place and new battery hold down made and then all the cables reworked/radiator back in and then the front should be done.

Omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg ... I am slightly getting excited!

Mike... I like how that front winch/bumper all turned out..

it looks really clean... :awesomework:

You are doing a great job on it... :awesomework:

:awesomework:very cool Mike. I love the end result. I think Stu likes it so much he made a mess of himself:masturbanana[1]:, so when he comes to get the truck you may want to park it outside of the shop so he doesn't make a mess in there as well. :awesomework:

Ya I figured you would like that Stu :D

Thanks guys I think it did turn out pretty cool but looking at it I wish I would have done a rounded edge instead of a sharp edge at the center cut out.

Also I aint calling it a bumper--just a skin to cover the gab since there is really no strength in it :D

Ya I figured you would like that Stu :D

Also I aint calling it a bumper--just a skin to cover the gab since there is really no strength in it :D

Guess I will just have to remember to never hit anything! :cool:

No, I am so stoked how it looks, I might just want to beef it up when we do version 2.0 and leave it as is!