• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Summit Fuel Cells....your opinions?

Harvester of Sorrow

Looking at pulling the trigger on a new fuel cell as my HUUUUGGGEE poly cell is getting yanked soon.

I am looking at getting an aluminum cell in the 10 gallon range like this unit:

sum-293210_w.jpg

Other than the tabs looking a little weak...any other thoughts on these things...?

I'd only do it if there was an option to get one made out of .125.....it seems they are all made from .090.

If you can't find a .125....I'd get a 10 gal plastic tank

I have a 20 gallon. better tabs have been TIG welded on, but the fuel cap can be a PITA to Open/Close carry a screwdriver :redneck:

Otherwise they are a decent Cell for the price.

my boss runs that same tank and we had issues with the tabs when the break they normally crack the cell and then they leak so we reinforcrd one and adde support all the way along the sides and it held up through koh
the rear deck lid was held down with 6 self tapers into the tube and it broke off in the first 20 miles

I got an 8-gallon plastic for ya :D

if you go 10-gal, you'll need to carry extra gas. That Naches trip we did last year I ran through all of the 8-gal, topped if off with one of the spare can's I carried before I actually ran out, but I bet I went through atleast 8-9 gal on that Saturday. And thats with my little motor and use mostly trail running. With your caddy, I would seriously look at a 15 or even 20 gal. What size is in there now? 30?

I got an 8-gallon plastic for ya :D

if you go 10-gal, you'll need to carry extra gas. That Naches trip we did last year I ran through all of the 8-gal, topped if off with one of the spare can's I carried before I actually ran out, but I bet I went through atleast 8-9 gal on that Saturday. And thats with my little motor and use mostly trail running. With your caddy, I would seriously look at a 15 or even 20 gal. What size is in there now? 30?

Hey HOS.....if thats a 30 gal plastic your going away from...I'd be interested in it for my tow rig.....already have one.....but need another:D

.....Were you out at CORE?....if so.....you didn't come say HI:booo::flipoff:

Hey HOS.....if thats a 30 gal plastic your going away from...I'd be interested in it for my tow rig.....already have one.....but need another:D

.....Were you out at CORE?....if so.....you didn't come say HI:booo::flipoff:
He didn't have the special "all access green wrist band". Tried to get him one but no.....

He's the one that shot all but one of the videos for me.

Last edited:
I have a summit tank and I have blown out 3 sides so far and have needed to get it welded back up I would stay away from them.

I ordered a summit steal wrapped plastic cell I will sell you mine for cheap it even has an added tank on the bottom for off camber times...

I was researching the same (and similar) cells and from what I gathered you need to build a base out of angle to mount it in and also strap over the top- this will at least make it less likely to crack.

But I have never heard of a weld cracking on a poly tank. :;

Even if supported properly underneath it will eventualy blow the sides out. :puke::booo:

Make one out of steel .090 or similar and baffle it up and make a sump. It can be custom fit aswell freeing up some space for other things.:awesomework:

I was researching the same (and similar) cells and from what I gathered you need to build a base out of angle to mount it in and also strap over the top- this will at least make it less likely to crack.

But I have never heard of a weld cracking on a poly tank. :;

My tank sits in an angle iron frame with straps and I am still blowing out the seams... :booo:

Last edited:
Thanks for the feed back everyone...

Sounds like the cells are marginal at best. I don't really want to have to go to all the work of "modding" a brand new item that I pay for...that is something that actually really chaps my ass.

The fuel cell I am replacing is a 33'ish gallon polly unit that serves the rig well and I am just looking at ways to re-configure the back of my rig. I am going to be outboarding my shocks and "might" need to run them through the sheet metal right where the current cell sits.

I also am putting FI on the 472 this year (finally) so this mod goes along with that plan...

Sounds like I will be best served with another poly cell.

MAULER: If you want the tank when it gets ripped...we can figure something out...pennies on the dollar.

BOXBOY: Shoot me a PM with your tanks info if you want...I am a sucker.

Well...

After looking over a bunch of different cells...I am going to move away from the aluminum idea and go with another poly.

I am looking at getting this 12 gallon one:::

sum-290102.jpg

I am curious about the bottom sump though. The previous two cells I am familiar with have had top fittings...where the lines then have to pass through the floor somewhere etc...

1. On this unit wouldn't I just cut the floor and have the supply lines already pointing down and out of the body?

2. There are two -8N supply lines out of the sump...there is a -6N line for return...Will that be sufficient for my soon to be TBI system?

Latest posts