• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

superduty ball joints

boxboy

can I be your friend...
So I finally had a change (which is read as “got off my assâ€) to look into my front end wobble and noise in my superduty, I thought maybe it was going to be the wheel bearing thing but it looks like the upper ball joint. The issue here is the ball joint was replaced just this last spring, so I am questioning brand what I should replace it with, I think the one in it was an off the shelf NAPA brand?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Any opinions? (well that's a kind of stupid question, there’s as mean opinions around here as there are a$$holes everyone seems to have one or two:flipoff: )

boxboy said:
So I finally had a change (which is read as “got off my assâ€) to look into my front end wobble and noise in my superduty, I thought maybe it was going to be the wheel bearing thing but it looks like the upper ball joint. The issue here is the ball joint was replaced just this last spring, so I am questioning brand what I should replace it with, I think the one in it was an off the shelf NAPA brand?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Any opinions? (well that's a kind of stupid question, there’s as mean opinions around here as there are a$$holes everyone seems to have one or two:flipoff: )

I go through the ball joints in the front of my Jeep..which are the SuperDuty units about every six months. The Napa brand vs Dana Spicer seem to make no difference in longevity.

Are you getting a pretty good clunking noise out of the front too? I have an 03 F-350 that has a nasty little clunk now and again when I am coming to a stop.

Dunbroke said:
Are you getting a pretty good clunking noise out of the front too? I have an 03 F-350 that has a nasty little clunk now and again when I am coming to a stop.

Jack the front end up kerry and hold the tire at the top/bottm and try to make the wheel whobble...

Stupid ball joints anyway :mad: :mad: Who's bright idea was it to put weak ass ball joints on there any way? :puke:

boxboy said:
Stupid ball joints anyway :mad: :mad: Who's bright idea was it to put weak ass ball joints on there any way? :puke:

COG's

Cost Of Goods

Comes right from Dana Spicer...they use a less expensive, easier to assemble part to increase their margins...pretty much standard regardless of what is being built.

So your telling me, I should get very proficient at changing ball joints:clappy:

I will blame all this on big_mark (Just cuss :; ):kiss:

crash said:
I have had WAY better luck with spicers than what MOOG puts out...

You suggested the Spicers the last time mine got worn out...they didn't last any longer than the ones from Napa.

Maybe in the SD and road miles they will last longer?

Jobless said:
You suggested the Spicers the last time mine got worn out...they didn't last any longer than the ones from Napa.

Maybe in the SD and road miles they will last longer?

Full hydro is pretty hard on Ball Joints...

Jeepasaurusrex said:
I had mine replaced in my F350 last Feb. They seem to be holding up well. Are you guys greasing them often? :redneck:

the uppers, I have, don't seem to be greaseable? I grease the lowers all the time and they seem fine.

boxboy said:
the uppers, I have, don't seem to be greaseable? I grease the lowers all the time and they seem fine.

The uppers are harder to grease. You have to remove the lil plug in the zerk hole and then screw in a 90° zerk. You cannot leave the zerk in place as the Yolk/U-joint will shear it off flush. :redneck:

Jeepasaurusrex said:
The uppers are harder to grease. You have to remove the lil plug in the zerk hole and then screw in a 90° zerk. You cannot leave the zerk in place as the Yolk/U-joint will shear it off flush. :redneck:

Not true...I had 90's in there with no problems...unless you break a shaft or U-joint.

Latest posts