• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Superduty Dana 60 front end

iron lotus

I recently bought a newer model ford Dana 60, where the driver side tube is all but non existent. I'm looking for ideas on how to incorporate my lower link mounts.. feel free to share pics and ideas.. thanks in advance..

You talking about the 02-04 60? Here is a pic of one. Not mine, but he just cut away the cast right where the link mount goes and welded it all back together. Same thing I did on my 86 60, but I did not have to remove as much casting of course. I tied the truss into the driver's side to keep it all rigid.
84fdfe0aa04cc84b637c22677f7592ff.jpg

c18a71e4c705b352610c054e107aade3.jpg

55ac09114732770f44ad5d847842749b.jpg

dc2a3fad9fbe6209a41d78e729e216d1.jpg

This is mine under a coil sprung XJ. Fawking sucks cutting all the cast off but there is tube all the way up inside the casting. Seen a few people cut a lot more than I did in the last months. I was a little unsure how much I could get away with cutting but a year and a half later after probably 15 wheeling trips it's still fine. I'm not worried about it at all. A full truss would be cool but I'm still waiting to see a nice 05+ specific one not for a JK. Wish I knew what I was doing when I did this swap.

Thanks guys, yeah I stepped into a good deal on the front and rear end thanks to pholmann, just need to work on this side link mount.. You all have kinda calmed my nerves on cutting that much of the cast away..

That's the plan now, I will post some pics of what I come up with.. BTW, it was good meeting you p holmann, thanks for the tips on the 5.3

Once you trim the fat and find the axle tube. Check out the artec link brackets. They make one that's pinched in at the axle for short axle tubes.

Figured I would bump this one up and ask here instead of a new thread....
If dale Larsen is beating on his s.d. 60 with the rcvs for I'm guessing around 5 grand in it.....why would you build a 10 thousand dollar 14 bolt instead? I understand the 14 bolt is a stronger differential set up with the pinion support, but you also had Bobby tanners high pinion 60 that I never saw really grenade either....
What's the advantage of a expensive 14 bolt build vs. The 05+ s.d 60?

I think there is a good debate to be had on the strength of low pinion 14 bolt, extra pinion support and all VS the beef that is the 05+ high pinion stuff.

Gears are roughly the same size, so it comes down to pinion support vs high pinion

Re:

Some good ideas here. Didn't think you could get coils on these axles but wow...proved wrong. I would like to stay coils on my tj.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Ok I was hoping I wasn't missing something obvious....14 fronts just look like a huge money pit when you can run the **** out of a s.d. 60.
Can yall decode this pic? From what I've seen the 256 is supposedly the 10" ring gear. Well I've also seen there is no 8 lug 10" ring geared 60s. And the 3.73 ratio is also not a 10" option...this crap is about confusing but this is a smoking deal on a axle I wouldn't mind sitting on for a later on build.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-25-21-41-22.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-25-21-41-22.png
    769.2 KB · Views: 114
whiskeymakin said:
Ok I was hoping I wasn't missing something obvious....14 fronts just look like a huge money pit when you can run the **** out of a s.d. 60.
Can yall decode this pic? From what I've seen the 256 is supposedly the 10" ring gear. Well I've also seen there is no 8 lug 10" ring geared 60s. And the 3.73 ratio is also not a 10" option...this crap is about confusing but this is a smoking deal on a axle I wouldn't mind sitting on for a later on build.
Got any pics of the numbers stamped on the back side of the long tube? For example, mine says 2004633-2. It was out of a 2006 F350. You can cross reference to this list. Axle Builder | Dana 60 Front Reverse Rotation Low Carrier 35 Spline Axle Parts
http://www.axlebuilder.com/dana_60_front_rev_low_35.html

To add to the confusion though, they ^^^ are making it seem as though all of the 05+ have the 10" ring gear and the only difference in some is the u joint size. I believe my understanding is similar to yours though, the f450/550 only came in a 10 lug design and were all geared 4.XX.

I believe "****" or Patooyee qould would have the most accurate info.