• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

surgery

So my original idea was to flip my kingpin tierod to the top of the knuckles, hence me researching 7* reamers and the assoc tool talk thread...

Steering update:
The more I research flipping my tie rod, the more I'm thinking this is a great idea. BUT maybe not the way to go for me. First it involves more labor. Granted not a lot, but second, I'd need to buy a 7* reamer which I keep reading is technically not the right size anyway (actual pitch is 1.5" taper/ft which equals 7* and something like 12 or 13 minutes, so while a 7* reamer will 'work', it's not perfect). And lastly and most importantly, if I'm going to go through the hassle of flipping the tie rod, why not go true hi steer? I haven't run into any con's yet, so if someone can think of something, let me know...
Advantage Kingpin. Instead of running my current hi steer arm on the passenger side, I can run it on the driver's side. Then I'll get a new passenger side arm w/3 holes, two for multiple drag link options and one for the TRE. New arm will be ~2" longer w/the first extra hole for the drag link end further forward (away from the knuckle) than the TRE hole. This will give me better mechanical leverage during steering. Second extra hole to be behind the TRE hole (toward the knuckle) should I ever wish to try that setup, advantage being quicker steering response. As I don't know which I'll like better and also don't know if/when I'll go hydro assist, options are good.
I'll need to mock this up of course after I get my axle under the rig to verify any clearance issues. I'll also need to see how the drag link angle will compare to the working angle of my trac bar. I'm currently running a drop pitman arm, so it's possible I'll have to go back to a shorter arm to keep the two parallel.

dr drae said:
Also researching a MC upgrade to work the new brakes. A lot of XJ guys run the Ford E350 MC that has 1 1/8" bore b/c with a few easy mods it bolts right up. I also heard you can run a Lincoln/Merc MC that has a 1 1/4" bore, but not sure how easily it bolts up, wondering if it's worth figuring out?

98 Dodge 3500 MC fits the newer booster....

T&A-XJ said:
98 Dodge 3500 MC fits the newer booster....
'97 XJ has the newer booster? and newer booster = dual diaphragm style?

do you know the bore? the E350 is 1 1/8"

thanks!

Shifting gears a little, and THANK YOU for all the help you guys, this is fantastic!

Which leaf spring perches are guys using on their D60's? Their site is down right now, but Blue Torch Fab has a 2.5' x 7" "antiwrap" perch for the larger D60 tube size. Cost seems competitive (<$40/pr) and they've definately been getting good press over on Pirate.

And anyone have a D60 shock mount they like?

Ordered a DIY frame sleeve kit today designed by Jason @Temper-Mental Racing. These just came available and apparently I'm getting one of the first sets. Been talking to Jason for awhile and while this kit is intended for JeepSpeed rigs, it should be more than enough beef for my front end given what those rigs go through. I'll post pics when they show up. I'll use this kit as a starter, then fab my own from there back to the rear suspension mounts, tying in the Clayton long arm mounts along the way.

No suggestions on D60 leaf spring perches?

it's back on . . .

TMR1.jpg

TMR2.jpg

TMR3.jpg

Killer. I'm glad to hear you got her back. Now just fix up the little issues and get down on gettin' those 60's installed. :clappy:

I ordered a set of the TNT unibody stiffeners today. What I don't see people doing, yet LOT'S of people wish they had done, is drill some holes in the side plate so I can add some plug welds every 12" or so. Will be a bit of puzzle work tying these into the rear spring hanger, clayton long arm mounts/crossmember, and the forward frame plates, but should make for a stable platform to tie my cage into...

Looks like I've got some 38" creepy crawlers on the way, (thanks for the lead xjoffroad) I'll be ordering some wheels this week as well, time to get some pics going...

War-Jeeper said:
I know I know, I'm slacking on pics...

beadlocks ordered
38" creepys should be here next week

If someone buys my NP242 I'll get an Atlas. :hi:

dr drae said:
I know I know, I'm slacking on pics...

beadlocks ordered
38" creepys should be here next week

If someone buys my NP242 I'll get an Atlas. :hi:

Well get on it man jeez dont leave us hanging without pictures!:corn: