• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Swapping a 4.3 into a toyota

gotrocks

I know this topic has been talked about a lot, but I have a quick question that I hope can be answered by some of you gear heads. (crash will know at least). Anyhow I'm about to buy a 4.3 vortec out of a 99 S10 Blazer tomorrow and was just told tonight by one of my friends that the later model 4.3's are harder to convert into another rig. I'm getting the engine complete with wireing harness and will be putting it into a 84 ex cab toyota. It's not going to be a street driven truck. I'm doing a very minimal wireing splice into the truck (just the heater controls and guages) Does anyone know anything about a problem with the later vortecs??

What trans you going to run?

With the 99 your going to have issues with the vcm due to the passlock security system. Your going to need a vcm out of a 96-97 or have yours reflashed(around 300 bones)

turbo 350. I can probably just ask the wrecking yard for a vcm out of a earlier model. I'm buying it complete from them for 900 bucks. So I don't see why they can't just change the computer around for me. They have older ones I'd assume. Does 900 sound like a good deal?

I know of a 94 Blazer with a Vortec in it. wants 700 for the whole thing.. I was just going to offer 600, maybe less. has 100k on the rig. it was rolled and totalled (obviously). It's not advertised or anything so it's still just sittin in their garage.

gotrocks said:
turbo 350. I can probably just ask the wrecking yard for a vcm out of a earlier model. I'm buying it complete from them for 900 bucks. So I don't see why they can't just change the computer around for me. They have older ones I'd assume. Does 900 sound like a good deal?

$900--thats too much. Should be around 5-600$

well here's the update. The wrecking yard sold the 99 and told me they'd be getting in a 97 (perfect problem solved) well they get the 97 in and it has a bad knock to it. The people who bought teh 99 brought it back because it was going into a insurance claim and the people didn't want a used engine so they brought it back.

Does anyone know if I can use teh wireing from the 97 on the 99. They'd split it up for me and I'd get the whole computer system and everthing from the 97 if it will work on the 99. Someone please help I need to find a 4.3

gotrocks said:
well here's the update. The wrecking yard sold the 99 and told me they'd be getting in a 97 (perfect problem solved) well they get the 97 in and it has a bad knock to it. The people who bought teh 99 brought it back because it was going into a insurance claim and the people didn't want a used engine so they brought it back.

Does anyone know if I can use teh wireing from the 97 on the 99. They'd split it up for me and I'd get the whole computer system and everthing from the 97 if it will work on the 99. Someone please help I need to find a 4.3

Identical except I believe there are 2 wires(injector control) that need to be moved in the vcm plug..

thanks crash good to know. I also asked Trevor at SN Fab and he told me that it should work just fine as well.