• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Swartz Canyon Closing Rumors????

4RnrRick

Just heard this over on OT4x4.org forum .... Can anyone confirm it?

SCHWARTS CANYON WILL BE SHUT DOWN IN 30DAYS FOREVER!!!!
This is what I was told by Chris from obscene off road, when they were over there last weekend he was talking with a BLM officer that told him they were shutting that particular area down that we wheel in, for several reason, Has anyone else herd any info on this?
I hope its not the case, If so we need to all make it over there for one final run!

Bend/Prineville, OR

Photos of the area can be found on the bottom part of this page:
http://www.cascadecruisers.com/032704/index.htm

Basically its a canyon out in the desert that has TONS of rocks and unlimited possiblities for carnage. The rocky terrain is similiar to "The Hammers", but its MUCH smaller - not to mention closer!

Not that it matters, but its been photographed in several DVD Videos and Magazines. I'm a bit surprise you haven't been there Crash.

Last edited:
Bend/Prineville, OR

Photos of the area can be found on the bottom part of this page:
http://www.cascadecruisers.com/032704/index.htm

Basically its a canyon out in the desert that has TONS of rocks and unlimited possiblities for carnage. The rocky terrain is similiar to "The Hammers", but its MUCH smaller - not to mention closer!

Not that it matters, but its been photographed in several DVD Videos and Magazines. I'm a bit surprise you haven't been there Crash.

Oh--you mean "bend" :awesomework: I have not made it there yet :booo:

IF it is where I think it is it is outside of the OHV areas here.
A lot of the locals don't really like OHV's because of the pure stupidity that minority segment of the OHV community displays!

It is unfawking believable the amount of illegal dumping that is going on. Nevermind that the dumping is being done by idiots in 2WD trucks towing utility trailer loads of yard and construction debris... NO it must be them great big 4x4s...
We have decided that we are going to build a dump trailer so that we can go out and clean up the **** and haul it to the dump where it belongs. Going to cost me to build the trailer and the dump fees. Been doing the dump fees for years though.
The other aspect is the ATV riders! There are illegal ATV trails everywhere! **** I had them go around a fence under a fence and then ride across the metal siding for my shop a couple weeks ago. Damn good thing the shotgun was locked in the safe or I would'ah got my bag limit in my Driveway!!

If you have a better description of the location (PM if you want) I'll be happy to see what I can find out.

Chris in Central Oregon.

Our group is friends with the Bend Oregon crew and we were told about this a few months ago. I believe that technically the canyons and trails to them were never "open". Rather just turned a blind eye by the BLM.

That area is pretty remote and easily accessible from many of the off shoots from the paved road. I don't see this area being "closed" very easily.

If you do loose it, it will be a great loss for all local rock crawlers.:booo:

Real quick check shows that at least part of the canyon is private property.

BLM lists it as one of their projects:
"Gravel road entry and staging areas for military purpose @ supplimental Reacreatioin uses."

Whatever that means... That is a C&P off the web site!

IF it is where I think it is it is outside of the OHV areas here.

I know its NOT part of McMillian OHV....

It is unfawking believable the amount of illegal dumping that is going on.

10-4!!! Last time I was there I hauled home 4-5 tires and a couple bags of garage. as well as the rest of my crew hauled home even more tires and garage!

Our group is friends with the Bend Oregon crew and we were told about this a few months ago. I believe that technically the canyons and trails to them were never "open". Rather just turned a blind eye by the BLM.

Are you refering to Tydes and gang? I no longer have Graeme's phone number otherwise I would call him. Would love to hear a response from him (or the bend gang) about this since he/they live there and have blood and sweat in that area.

Last edited:
The area was never open officially
We had verbal permition years ago from the BLM manager, but we didn't follow though and the BLM managers changed.
We did work hard to keep the area clean
The new BLM manager is hell bent on spending the OHV money on Cline Buttes area between Sisters and Redmond. This is a mostly flat desert area with a cayon along one side. There are three destination resorts around and over looking it. The resorts all want this area closed because of noise and dust. They even offered the BLM $300K to move the trails into the bottom of the canyon. I was told by the BLM manager that unless we agreed to sign on with his plan for Cline Buttes, there would be no talk about Swartz Canyon.
At first he told us that if we helped him with Cline Buttes, we would then work on Swartz.
He told us Swartz was never open, and never would be because ,get this the land owner next to it would more than likely build a destination resort.

Now I'm piss off again

The good news is we have a great working relationship with the forest service.
We helped build the Ground Hog rock crawl area east of bend last summer and had a competition there this summer.
We put up signs for the first Class 2 trail system in central Oregon in June at the Edison OHV area south of Mt. Bachelor. We may have an event there next year.

I still think Swartz Canyon is the best rock crawling in Oregon.

Last edited:
The area was never open officially
We had verbal permition years ago from the BLM manager, but we didn't follow though and the BLM managers changed.
We did work hard to keep the area clean
The new BLM manager is hell bent on spending the OHV money on Cline Buttes area between Sisters and Redmond. This is a mostly flat desert area with a cayon along one side. There are three destination resorts around and over looking it. The resorts all want this area closed because of noise and dust. They even offered the BLM $300K to move the trails into the bottom of the canyon. I was told by the BLM manager that unless we agreed to sign on with his plan for Cline Buttes, there would be no talk about Swartz Canyon.
At first he told us that if we helped him with Cline Buttes, we would then work on Swartz.
He told us Swartz was never open, and never would be because ,get this the land owner next to it would more than likely build a destination resort.

Now I'm piss off again

The good news is we have a great working relationship with the forest service.
We helped build the Ground Hog rock crawl area east of bend last summer and had a competition there this summer.
We put up signs for the first Class 2 trail system in central Oregon in June at the Edison OHV area south of Mt. Bachelor. We may have an event there next year.

I still think Swartz Canyon is the best rock crawling in Oregon.

Great first post, who are you?:beer:

HA HA I know who you are Muel
I knew you would be running your mouth around some where.
It looks like your the expert at everything with an Ego to match.
Here's our run in with you:rolleyes:
http://www.deschutescounty4wheelers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=261&whichpage=1

Toyota... Thought so!
Ya I'm THAT JAckass.
I didn't post that link anywhere because the people from here that that have read it were laughing at you/DC4W!
Far be it for me to disparage DC4W behind their backs.
Did you make a link to all the bullshit in your members only area? that the site admin didn't know how to config until it was pointed out?!:haha:
Or did you conveniently leave out the funnay parts?:haha:
Ego? Because I asked questions about your trail?

Ah, but this aint the place for this so unless you provoke this farther I am just going to leave it and you alone.

Ya'll enjoy the linked thread:beer:

Mr Badass "GreenTech" Toyota... Welcome to NWW!:cheer: :beer:

Toyota... Thought so!
Ya I'm THAT JAckass.
I didn't post that link anywhere because the people from here that that have read it were laughing at you/DC4W!
Far be it for me to disparage DC4W behind their backs.
Did you make a link to all the bullshit in your members only area? that the site admin didn't know how to config until it was pointed out?!:haha:
Or did you conveniently leave out the funnay parts?:haha:
Ego? Because I asked questions about your trail?

Ah, but this aint the place for this so unless you provoke this farther I am just going to leave it and you alone.

Ya'll enjoy the linked thread:beer:

Mr Badass "GreenTech" Toyota... Welcome to NWW!:cheer: :beer:

Just curious mr Outback. How many hours did you put into developing that legal area for our sport. For that matter how many hours have you spent developing any legal trails? I know for a fact that the DC4W have put in thousands of man hours and a ton of their own money doing so. So how about you?

Just curious mr Outback. How many hours did you put into developing that legal area for our sport. For that matter how many hours have you spent developing any legal trails? I know for a fact that the DC4W have put in thousands of man hours and a ton of their own money doing so. So how about you?

Started wheeling in the 60's.
Been hauling out trash since then on my dime. Thousands of dollars out of my pocket, Thousands of hours. Your Point?
Been involved with many trail and riparian habitat projects over the years.
Hundreds of letters and phone calls.
We were doing TL decades before it came into being! and long before DC4W existed I & my family was out here...

Developing legal trails, You have me on that one. DC4W is to be commended for their efforts and I have said that repeatedly. Both in print/text and to the DC4W members that I have met and were NOT involved in the thread...

Any other questions?

Started wheeling in the 60's.
Been hauling out trash since then on my dime. Thousands of dollars out of my pocket, Thousands of hours. Your Point?
Been involved with many trail and riparian habitat projects over the years.
Hundreds of letters and phone calls.
We were doing TL decades before it came into being! and long before DC4W existed I & my family was out here...

Developing legal trails, You have me on that one. DC4W is to be commended for their efforts and I have said that repeatedly. Both in print/text and to the DC4W members that I have met and were NOT involved in the thread...

Any other questions?

My point is you were quick to put down a very good club that does a ton of work in your area (legal) Just because you were chastised for taking a fullsize rig on trails made for smaller rigs. In your next post you commend them:eeek: It dosent usally get to work that way:eeek:

Whats TL?

My point is you were quick to put down a very good club that does a ton of work in your area (legal) Just because you were chastised for taking a fullsize rig on trails made for smaller rigs. In your next post you commend them:eeek: It dosent usally get to work that way:eeek:

Whats TL?

Not first post if you count the intro...
However you are correct, I tend to be a bit blunt and the humor is a bit dry...

I've been... Ummm... fully aware of this particular Club for its existence... Like any club they have their gods and bads and everybody else. And I was warned about this club by other locals before I posted... Next time I'll listen.

What you did not see is the BS that went on.
"I want to see pictures of that Jackass stuck up there" words to that effect! Unlike the people making that statement and others. If my rig can't make the trail for some (ANY) reason... I'll pull cable or take a 'legal' by pass, or turn around and go back out (I said as much in the thread). No big 'ego' blow for me at this point in life.
BTW: There are NO wheeling dents on the sheetmetal on the truck to the left! If you can't drive through clean you do not belong there! Just my old school approach to wheeling.

What you did not see in the thread was my private apologies to some specific members for my 'attitude" when the BS finally came to the surface, OR their replies to me. I stand by my apologies, regardless! I was wrong, to get a bit pissed off at the couple of jerk wads and I should not have been rude, and I apologized for it.

What you do not realize is that my "MFOTHERFUCKINGTOODAMNBIG" truck, as it was put to me directly in person in a parking lot; that would be 'in my face' kind of directly; is 3' as in THREE inches UNDER that damn width restriction and there is NO MF'ing Wheelbase restriction! (which is flat out stupid!). Note, that in that thread a DC4W member admits to being too wide and running the trail... Hooking the trees... Fawking Hypocrites! Oh and my supposed Ego let the little bandy cock walk away after being in my face...

What DC4W has yet to figure out is the damn trail has been cleaned! Not a single dent in sheetmetal or damage to any trees, and 2 full garbage bags of **** was hauled out. I have no idea how the trash got there could it be that a bunch of hardcore local Jeepers or ATV riders accidentally dropped all the beer cans, pop bottles, bags, wrappers water bottles, and other ****... that I baled out of the right seat to pick up...

Couldn't be the rednecks like me in the MFOTHERFUCKINGTOODAMNBIG trucks because... We won't fit:haha:

You don't get TL? http://www.treadlightly.org

Now I am done with this.
I have answered enough questions and this at this point does not belong in this section anyway.
IF you or anyone has any more questions I have no problem answering (if I know the answers) them call me out in the Chatterbox or PM me.
I have nothing to hide, not even my name.:beer:

Chris

Holy ****ing hi-jack batman..... :looser:

More info about this is also here:

Prineville - Burnt Car Road (AKA Shwartz Canyon)
http://www.ravenoffroad.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=2883

It is here and now publicly posted that Shwartz Canyon is NOT a Legal OHV use area in the BLM land management system. From this point forward - all future OHV use of the area listed above will be regarded as illegal and fine able by law.

Sarah has not been an employee of the BLM for 2 years. Keith Brown is the Prineville Recreation Coordinator and is responsible for the management of OHV use in the Prineville District.

The ONLY legalized wheeling under the new laws in the area closest to the Canyon on BLM land is the Cline Buttes area which is in it's final stages of proposal right now.

Keith is very aware of the illegal OHV use by Crawl Magazine and 4Locked films and was mentioning he wishes there were future lawsuits due to publicized use in a non-ohv area.

Latest posts