• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

T-case question.

wentz912

Ok somebody needs to help me figure this shat out. Ok here goes. you may assume that we're talking about toyota cases of course.

1. What is the difference between the top and forward shift t-cases? Don't they both have the shifter coming up out of the tunnel?

2. Which type is needed for the second t-case in a dual case setup and why?

3. Which one did my 1984 SR5 Five speed come with? And should i keep the one I've got, if yes or no, why?

BTW, please excuse my retardation. I'm still hoping its only temporary.

The top shift has the shifter coming straight up from the t-case. The forward shift has the shift forks running forawrd in to the back of the transmission housing.

The second 'case in a doubled setup should be a top shift, as well as the crawl box.

I had an 84, it had a forward shift.

But no matter what 'case you have, Marlincrawler sells a kit (60-80$) that converts a forward shift to a top shift.:D

Heres a link for more info http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transfercase/tcaseinfo.htm

Brent

Last edited:
Alright thanks for the info. But here's my other question. Why do both cases need to be top shift in order to work, as I'm assuming that it's not possible any other way. And how exactly does this crawl box thing work? Is it the bit that connects the two cases to each other?

Again with the retardation bit, pardon it, it should be only temporary if ya'all help me out.

The crawl box is the first transfercase. When you double two t-cases, you split the front case in half. You only need the reduction part of the transfercase, not the chain and front output,etc. In order for a forward shift to work, you need a transmission to support the shift rails as the shifter go through the back of ther transmission. The rear t-case has to be a topshift becasue there is no transmission directly ahead of it. The crawl box can be a forward shift case if your tranny supports it.

Check out Malrincrawler's website. www.marlincrwaler.com and check out the transfercase section as well as the forums. It has all the info you'd ever need.:D

Brent

83yota said:
The second 'case in a doubled setup should be a top shift, as well as the crawl box.
Brent

This is what kind of had me confused. I was partly trying to figure out whether or not i would have to spend the money on a forward to top shift for the front case/crawl box or not but it's not looking like I have too. And if I were to go with a twin stick in the first case/ crawl box (before going duals) I wouldn't have to purchase a new one when i add a second case in front of that case right? I can just keep using it with the forward to top kit that I'll have to buy?

The only difference between a top shift and forward shift are the shift rails, all you need are new shift rails and a conversion is made. All the toy t-case shifters from the mini-trucks are the same. Go out to the 4x4 swapmeet next weekend and score a top shift case and buy an adapter and you are rockin' with your existing setup.

Ok that'd be awesome IF I had the money to get up there AND be able to afford to get one. But since I don't have either, it's not gonna happen lol. What I was wondering is if I get a twin stick for my forward shift that I have now, can I just stick it in a top shift after I get a second case? I'd really like to have the 2WD Low for messing around on the property here and in the snow I would think it'd be sweet too.