• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tacoma SAS steering ?

Robinhood

A freind is coming up in couple of weeks and we are going to do a SAS on his Taco. I have done lots of them on 2nd gens but this will be my first Taco. I know they have a rack and pinion steering set up. My ? is does anyone know what steering shaft modification will need to be done to get the shaft facing forward to hook to the new gear box? thanks for any help or links

I just cut a hole in the firewall plate for it to point forward and sealed up the bottom hole. I remember seeing that someone was actually selling modified plates that were sealed and everything for the shaft to go to a IFS box. Make sure you get the older IFS shaft to combine with the taco shaft

I just cut a hole and used some rubber to reseal the hole. So far it keeps the water and air out.

Find an older IFS shaft and you are set.

I usually use the stock seal and cut a new plate (use the old one as a pattern). then weld the old lip in and press the seal back in and presto. I have seen everthing from shock boots to shifter boots used for sealing up the hole. what ever works!! and youll need that older shaft to get rid of the double joint. if you get one thats too old it will have too big of a u joint yoke and will hit the brake booster. (I think) good luck. On the king taco build I will be doing the column next week if you want to see how i do them.:awesomework:

p.s. ive seen the shifter boot trick done nicely and its alot less work if you find one that fits good.