Well I have been know to build things over kill and I guess you can say this is one of those times.. I did it because I had half the parts already so I figure why not save some money and make it even stronger. well then of course I screwed up and did not measure twice I guess because the dang trac bar was short.. so last night I cut it in half and made it longer.. atleast this part I will never have to worry about breaking on me
showing cut in half and the sluig and spacer I made
I cut some holes for rear tail lights and also started on the fill neck for the fuel cell so we can fill it up from outside the jeep and not have to open the back every time
inside the tub hole for filler neck
the last thing is I have been trying to decide on a rear fender.. just to help keep a little dirt out of the kids when they are riding in the back seats
so I held up the stock YJ fenders and I think I kind of like them.. what do you guys think?
I know lots have done TJ fenders or even tub fenders but I kind of like the idea of keeping the outside Yj..ish
Just wanted to send a big thank you to Randal, Doug, Craig And John for the help today
We got rock rails on, rear bumper on, Transfer case shifter mount made. Shock tower support tabs made and tacked on. New power steering pump installed. Reservoir pump bracket made and reservoir mounted. All hydro lines made and on except the line to cooler And brace that goes from shock tower to tower cut and painted ready to go on.
Next is to finish the Welding and paint everything fill fluids the. Start making driveshafts.
well I have been trying to get this done so I can make it to my clubs fall wheeling/camping trip which is in two weeks.
- I finally got all the correct bolts for control arms, shocks, etc and they are all in and tightened down.
- front fenders are back on
- tires are on with all lugs nuts finally
- installed air cleaner
- got my rear drive shaft back ( I learned to make sure you measure twice.. I told the driver shaft place exactly 1 inch to long.. so I had to cut it up and shorten it.. I bet it is not balanced anymore )
- added rear frame brace for limit strap ( rear has way to much droop for the shaft )
- welded in exhaust cat, which will be enough for this trip
and I am happy to say I moved the jeep 3 feet forward and backwards and then I learned my brakes SUCK.. so I am gonna replace the master with dodge 1 tom to see if that helps
well good news is I found the issue.. it was the rear passenger caliper.. the calipers came with the rear axle and what I found was the previous owner drilled and tapped the bleeder screw.. so i am pretty sure it was not holding pressure.
replaced caliper and we now have brakes..
so great day when you finally get to drive it around the block
trying to get a few last minute things done before this weekend..
I took an old rusty CJ tailgate, cut the rust off the bottom and welded up a new bottom and back bracing and put it on YJ tonight.. I am happy with it
and yes it opens and has a cable to keep it flat when open to make lunch sandwiches for the kids]
Took the kids and the jeep out to out clubs fall bash and had a blast..
The jeep did great with only issue the rear air shocks settled a little but nothing some nitrogen could not fix when we got back to camp.
here is the jeep at camp
here is our camp
I joined the "easy" group because I had the kids and did not want to push it to hard on the first trail ride. but I could have done the hard as it walked everything i tried with no issues..
My son enjoying the ride ( he kept saying this is AWESOME )
stopped for lunch
when we got back to camp we had some field games and I got a pic testing the flex on the rti ramp.. I ran out of rear shock or it could have kept going..so hopefully I will get some good pics of it really rock crawling on next trip out with just the guys
well nothing to huge going on but I did take the jeep out for a ride this weekend and I could not go over 35mph without the jeep wanting to go all over the road
so got it home and found out my toe in was all messed up.. here is how I fixed it by myself. attach a piece of wood to outside of each tire and that worked.
then I started to work on my ARB switch mounts.. the one thing I have learned from others is when wheeling if you can see the switches you forget if they are on or off.. so I sat in my drivers seat and looked around for the best location that I could reach when strapped in with my harness and here is what I came up with..
happy to say we took the jeep out again this past weekend and it worked great.. climbed with no issues and road great on the trails.. I did fry the E2000 Fuel pump but once replaced it was back to driving fine again
buddy took a video ( not sure why he did slow mo) but hey atleast it proves it was on the trails
Here are some related products that HardlineCrawlers members are talking about.
Clicking on a product will take you to HardlineCrawlers’s partner,
where you can find links to HardlineCrawlers discussions about these products.