• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"Take 92" - YJ Link kit from Motobilt with Nines

Been working on the trac bar.. got the passenger side done and installed.. also picked up all the new soft brake lines and some tube to finish trac bar.. hope to have all that on and done this weekend

img_5435.jpg

img_5436.jpg

img_5437.jpg

well like a lot of things it takes longer then planned.. had to travel for work a bunch with kept me out of the garage..

but I did get a little time tonight and got the rear brake lines done.
Thanks for ECGS for my new lines

img_5522.jpg

img_5520.jpg

img_5521.jpg

Well I have been know to build things over kill and I guess you can say this is one of those times.. I did it because I had half the parts already so I figure why not save some money and make it even stronger. well then of course I screwed up and did not measure twice I guess because the dang trac bar was short.. so last night I cut it in half and made it longer.. atleast this part I will never have to worry about breaking on me :)

showing cut in half and the sluig and spacer I made
img_5857.jpg

spacer welded to sleeve
img_5859.jpg

showing how overkill this is
img_5858.jpg

all done just need to paint and install
img_5860.jpg

I cut some holes for rear tail lights and also started on the fill neck for the fuel cell so we can fill it up from outside the jeep and not have to open the back every time

tail lights
img_5941.jpg

inside the tub hole for filler neck
img_5942.jpg

from outside
img_5943.jpg

img_5944.jpg

the last thing is I have been trying to decide on a rear fender.. just to help keep a little dirt out of the kids when they are riding in the back seats

so I held up the stock YJ fenders and I think I kind of like them.. what do you guys think?
I know lots have done TJ fenders or even tub fenders but I kind of like the idea of keeping the outside Yj..ish

flares on backwards to get an idea
img_5931.jpg

flares on correct
img_5937.jpg

img_5940.jpg

well got the filler tube in place.. the middle clamp is just to see if the crease will come out or not

img_5949.jpg

outside
img_5950.jpg

inside the fender well
img_5951.jpg

well I am happy to say I got in some shop time today..

I ordered some parts last week from Barnes4wd and I got them all smoothed and painted today.. so soon I will have rear bumper on and new rock sliders.. ( pics to come later )

I also bent up some tub and made my shock tower brace and got that in.. so once the rest of my PSC stuff shows up I will get that on ASAP and after that it is all down hill :)

img_6110.jpg

yes I will need to spin air intake over the engine..
img_6111.jpg

Just wanted to send a big thank you to Randal, Doug, Craig And John for the help today

We got rock rails on, rear bumper on, Transfer case shifter mount made. Shock tower support tabs made and tacked on. New power steering pump installed. Reservoir pump bracket made and reservoir mounted. All hydro lines made and on except the line to cooler And brace that goes from shock tower to tower cut and painted ready to go on.
Next is to finish the Welding and paint everything fill fluids the. Start making driveshafts.
Making progress

new pump
img_6126.jpg

orbital
img_6127.jpg

Reservoir
img_6128.jpg

orbital mount ( ned to fix brake lines)
img_6129.jpg

rock rail
img_6131.jpg

img_6133.jpg

rear bumper
img_6132.jpg

well I have been trying to get this done so I can make it to my clubs fall wheeling/camping trip which is in two weeks.

- I finally got all the correct bolts for control arms, shocks, etc and they are all in and tightened down.
- front fenders are back on
- tires are on with all lugs nuts finally
- installed air cleaner
- got my rear drive shaft back ( I learned to make sure you measure twice.. I told the driver shaft place exactly 1 inch to long.. so I had to cut it up and shorten it.. I bet it is not balanced anymore )
- added rear frame brace for limit strap ( rear has way to much droop for the shaft )
- welded in exhaust cat, which will be enough for this trip

and I am happy to say I moved the jeep 3 feet forward and backwards and then I learned my brakes SUCK.. so I am gonna replace the master with dodge 1 tom to see if that helps

img_6210.jpg

img_6211.jpg

img_6212.jpg

img_6216.jpg

Well been busy trying to get this damn thing done

ordered a two piece bearing kit from wide open and make the first driveshaft, not the prettiest but it is straight and works great

took and old shaft I had and cut it down. I also sent the yoke to east coast gear supply and they machined it down to fit inside a 2" tube.. fit perfect
img_6233.jpg

img_6234.jpg

here is shaft all welded up
img_6235.jpg

had to press out bearing so I could weld the bracket on and then press it all back together.
img_6236.jpg

here is shaft installed
img_6238.jpg

img_6239.jpg

after that I installed the moto bilt skid plate so it is ready to rock
img_6241.jpg

img_6242.jpg

img_6244.jpg

well good news is I found the issue.. it was the rear passenger caliper.. the calipers came with the rear axle and what I found was the previous owner drilled and tapped the bleeder screw.. so i am pretty sure it was not holding pressure.

replaced caliper and we now have brakes..

so great day when you finally get to drive it around the block
img_6248.jpg

img_6249.jpg

and when the shop is finally empty even better
img_6250.jpg

Well now I waiting on some parts for this weekends first trail ride.. so I figured why not wire up some stuff.. so I started wiring up the ARB compressor and also the 50" light bar I had.

here is light bar mounted
img_6257.jpg

and what a pissser.. it has some lights that dont work :(
img_6260.jpg

img_6261.jpg

well good news is I started jeep to get full 12 volt power and all the lights work now.. thanks to Dan @motobilt for the heads up

trying to get a few last minute things done before this weekend..

I took an old rusty CJ tailgate, cut the rust off the bottom and welded up a new bottom and back bracing and put it on YJ tonight.. I am happy with it
and yes it opens and has a cable to keep it flat when open to make lunch sandwiches for the kids]

img_6269.jpg

img_6270.jpg

img_6271.jpg

WOW what a weekend..

Thanks MotoBilt for a great 4 link kit

Took the kids and the jeep out to out clubs fall bash and had a blast..

The jeep did great with only issue the rear air shocks settled a little but nothing some nitrogen could not fix when we got back to camp.

here is the jeep at camp
img_6276.jpg

img_6277.jpg

img_6278.jpg

here is our camp
img_6280.jpg

I joined the "easy" group because I had the kids and did not want to push it to hard on the first trail ride. but I could have done the hard as it walked everything i tried with no issues..

My son enjoying the ride ( he kept saying this is AWESOME )
img_6282.jpg

stopped for lunch
img_6303.jpg

when we got back to camp we had some field games and I got a pic testing the flex on the rti ramp.. I ran out of rear shock or it could have kept going..so hopefully I will get some good pics of it really rock crawling on next trip out with just the guys

10041415561.jpg

even won one of the field games with the jeep :)
img_6311.jpg

well nothing to huge going on but I did take the jeep out for a ride this weekend and I could not go over 35mph without the jeep wanting to go all over the road :(

so got it home and found out my toe in was all messed up.. here is how I fixed it by myself. attach a piece of wood to outside of each tire and that worked.

img_6368.jpg

img_6369.jpg

then I started to work on my ARB switch mounts.. the one thing I have learned from others is when wheeling if you can see the switches you forget if they are on or off.. so I sat in my drivers seat and looked around for the best location that I could reach when strapped in with my harness and here is what I came up with..

img_6364.jpg

img_6370.jpg

img_6372.jpg

happy to say we took the jeep out again this past weekend and it worked great.. climbed with no issues and road great on the trails.. I did fry the E2000 Fuel pump but once replaced it was back to driving fine again

buddy took a video ( not sure why he did slow mo) but hey atleast it proves it was on the trails :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XERAMflRuSo

well took the jeep out and was part of the local Christmas parade here in Raleigh.. did a little tire stacking and had some fun.. the kids loved it..

the downfall was my arb compressor shorted a wire and i started to have smoke coming out of the dash :( so now I need to rewire the entire compressor ( that stinks )

raleighxmas.jpg

raleighxmas2.jpg

still have a list of stuff to do to get it where I really want it to be and if all goes well over this winter I can get all those things done before spring..

storage, fuel tank filler tube redone, fuel cell cover, some wiring, new windshield, and maybe even paint it..

Latest posts