• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"Take 92" - YJ Link kit from Motobilt with Nines

BRUISER

Well to start this is my first build thread on here ( was suggested by others). I have posted this on other forums so It will go quick as I copy and post info here..for you guys to check out

This build took me 10 months to finish for reference..

So here is the Story..

After I wrecked my XJ racing it I decided I wanted an open top Jeep that my family of 4 could ride in and we could all enjoy it but then I also could go out with the guys on some hard trails and be able to keep up.

So After selling a bunch of parts I found a nice YJ

It is a 92 YJ with a XJ 4.0 and TJ NV3550.
My Plan is to rip out the dana 30 and 8.8 and replace them with 9's add a dana 300 and 4 link with sway a way air shocks.

pics of Jeep as I got it

dsc_0605.jpg

dsc_0620.jpg

dsc_0629.jpg

One of the coolest things with this build is my son (Corbin) has really started to get involved with me in the garage which is just cool as it gets

dirtycorbin.jpg

Then I spent some time building a rear bumper, modifying a tire carrier, adding a winch, a battery box and the last thinking I need to do is mess with the axle disconnect tomorrow night..

as I needed to use the Jeep for the rest of the year till winter before I planned to rip out the axles

img_3095.jpg

img_3097.jpg

img_3098.jpg

img_3100.jpg

Well winter is here so it is time to rip out the axles and start on the new build

And so it begins.....

pulled out the rear 9" to start tearing it apart. Next is to build the nodular 9" center section and then clean up the axle( wire brush time)

img_4316.jpg

img_4317.jpg

All axles are out and it is now time to cut off all old brackets and clean the frame to get read for my 4 link kit.. ( it sweet, just wait till you see it )

img_4643.jpg

img_4642.jpg

was a little cold in shop tonight

img_4645.jpg

cut off all but one leaf hanger, and a few other things that need to go

img_4646.jpg

img_4647.jpg

and a few items that are going bye bye

img_4651.jpg

well few more hours in the garage cutting stuff off and taking stuff off.

got all leaf mounts completely off and frame smoothed, exhaust cut and removed, factory skid removed, np231 removed..if i get lucky I will get a few more hrs tomorrow to try to get fuel tank down and a few others things I need to cut off.

img_4657.jpg

Well got the fuel tank and skid plate out, and rear bumper and tire carrier off. then started working on dana 300 to get it ready to go in jeep.

img_4677.jpg

img_4679.jpg

Well parts have started arriving :)

Just got my MotoBilt 4 link kit, fuel cell, light bar brackets, and other small odds and ends.

motobilt.jpg

BAM 4 link kit is in.

I do need to weld it all the way in but it is tacked and all lined up ready to make some links..

looking from the rear
img_4787.jpg

img_4788.jpg

img_4789.jpg

looking from the front.. I am going with a dana 300 passenger drop front axle and looks like plenty of driveshaft room
img_4790.jpg

img_4791.jpg

Also took of rear tailgate and few small things in the way for crusher corners and clamped them up to see what I need to cut and then set rear axle in place with rig at full bump

img_4792.jpg

img_4793.jpg

then I placed my 14" Sway a Way air shock in at full compression to see if it cleans and I think I will be good.
img_4795.jpg

img_4797.jpg

had a few minutes in garage today..

Rear quarters are cut and Genright Aluminum corners are on.
Rear axle is centered and now just need to assemble rear axle and start making rear links.

img_4800.jpg

img_4801.jpg

img_4803.jpg

img_4804.jpg

img_4805.jpg

Welded in some weld washer so I would have the correct size hole for my johnny joints that I am running

then I used a buddies 40" tire to see if I want to go that big and I am pretty sure I will stick with 37's

img_4806.jpg

img_4807.jpg

img_4810.jpg

img_4812.jpg

img_4813.jpg

went and got some threaded rod to make my dana 300 cable shifter mount.. that is done

img_4847.jpg

then I cleaned up front axle with wire wheel ( i hate those things) but it got most of the rust off so I can start building front axle

img_4849.jpg

and I have all the parts except inner axle seals which should be here first of next week then it is time to build the axle and put it in place.

worst part is waiting for parts to show up.. but if all goes well a bunch should be here next week then I can work every night on it to make some real progress

img_4850.jpg

had a few more hours in the garage today. I got the entire 4 link kit welded up (had to stop twice due to welder needing to cool down)

img_4854.jpg

and then I wire wheeled the 300 and put one coat of paint on it
img_4853.jpg

well I just keep trying to get an hr or so in each night.. lots more to do

I made new transmission mount tonight and put another coat of paint on 300 and primed all bare metal on 4 link kit.

img_4861.jpg

mounts
img_4859.jpg

img_4860.jpg

and then cross brace.. used 1.5" .120 DOM with bushings on each end
img_4858.jpg

well spent a little time in garage and cleaned up front frame and took off all old steering then John and I mounted the 300

img_4863.jpg

Well after having an issue with splines on front axle see this: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1643074-35-spline-issue-need-some-help.html

I finally got it all together and put axle in temp location trying to find placement and wheel base

I bought Seal it seals from speeday and got them in, I added rtv to be safe
img_4971.jpg

I also ordered some 37 Maxxis and 1 came in so I mounted it with my inner locks , the others are on back order
img_4959.jpg

Here is jeep at full bump with 14" belly clearance testing out location of front axle
img_4973.jpg

img_4974.jpg

and from the front
img_4975.jpg

Latest posts