• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tattoos and employment

The Luke

Who here has visible tattoos? Has it effected your working career? Who won't hire someone because of said tattoos?
I'm about to get mine done on my forearm and I know my current boss doesn't care. But just curious if this is still an issue these days or if that is a thing of the past.

I have a sleeve. And it has never effected me, job wise. With that being said, I spent 11 years building natural gas pipelines, then a year for BNSF railroad. For the past two and a half years, I have been a mechanic for Nucor Steel. So not really, prestige, upclass jobs. I know some jobs are a lot more picky, if you are dealing with people more.

I read a lot or maybe too much into things...

Traditional / didn't spend a mortgage inking up yourself tattoo's, I don't see the issue.

These modern day neck / full leg / weird looking hand / face lookin' like a graffiti'd up desk in detention class motherfuckers go be a thug on someone else's dime. You HAD money at one time to get all that stupid ****, go find that same money elsewhere.

However, if you're a chick with a tramp stamp or a garter belt tattoo....might make be hired straight on as a partner with stock options. :)

I hire folks with visible tattoos for white collar office jobs/management positions. Knowing when to cover up for meetings has been the only conversation I've had to have with my folks. I think the only tattoos that would cause some concern are face/neck tattoos since they can't be covered for meetings.

I work in the executive office for a major healthcare company and a number of staff that work with the execs all the time have visible tattoos. No one seems to give a damn if you show up on time and do your job. Only the crustiest of the crustiest old school managers seems to give a damn.

This guy is CEO material
8b53421c32942a2b4786933e295bafa3.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I have one full sleeve and the other arm is close and with younger customers they don't seem to care it's the older ones that seem to have an issue with it. When I worked construction it wasn't an issue but now that I'm management and more on the service end of things, I do low voltage integration so I'm in fancy buildings and schools, I see people looking at me different. The piercings probably don't help much but I've taken all of them out except the gauges in my ears. The branch manager at our Nashville office has sleeves and his hands an fingers tattooed and he has told me he feels like he has to prove himself a bit more with customers than if he didn't. All that being said I feel like neck tattoos are don't hire mes. I can wear a long sleeve shirt and you see nothing but I ain't wearing a turtle neck. Face tattoos are even worse. We hire some low income folks at our restaurant and some have had neck tattoos but if you have ones on the face we probably won't be calling you in for an interview.

One of the sharpest people I have ever worked with at our IT company had full tribal ink from 3" above his wrist to just below his neck. During work hours he looked like a nerdy IT guy with a white collared shirt on. Outside of work he would wear short sleeve shirts and you could see his sleeves. He said keep it hidden when it needs to be hidden and dont worry about it any other time. I think it is more acceptable now than in the past but one has to use common sense.

I am going to get one on my inner bicep. I was going to do forearm, but I don't want to have to worry about covering it up.

I've never had an issue. You've seen mine. i want my hands/sleeves done so bad, i'm just poor and have otehr things to pay for first. That said i am getting one next month and i can't wait.

I'm a journeyman lineman and have been for 15 years...I personally don't care if a person has tattoos or not...Just as long as they work hard...I've not heard any complaints from customers being afraid of a guy just for tattoos...Guess most people don't care what we look like as.long as we get there power back on

The only time any of the guys I've worked with that had lots of tattoos had any issue is doing on-site work in Mexico.
From what I understand, most of the plants down there have very strict "No Display" policies for tattoos. Of course it is for the plant workers mostly, but the management enforces it on outside contractors too.
Our electrician had to wear long sleeves, gloves, and a fully buttoned up popped collar for a week down there in a 95 degree plant because of his ink.

Re: Re: Tattoos and employment

TBItoy said:
The only time any of the guys I've worked with that had lots of tattoos had any issue is doing on-site work in Mexico.
From what I understand, most of the plants down there have very strict "No Display" policies for tattoos. Of course it is for the plant workers mostly, but the management enforces it on outside contractors too.
Our electrician had to wear long sleeves, gloves, and a fully buttoned up popped collar for a week down there in a 95 degree plant because of his ink.
So why wasn't he shouting racial profiling, unequal justice and rioting?

Oh...wait....he's probably just logical and a contributing member of society.

Re: Re: Tattoos and employment

tonybolton said:
So why wasn't he shouting racial profiling, unequal justice and rioting?

Oh...wait....he's probably just logical and a contributing member of society.

In Mexico they have (more) real problems, no time for all that :****:

And "down there" ink=gang

I've never noticed decorative tats on "normal" folks in central Mexico.

I work for a Sheriffs Office as a K9 handler / SWAT Operator. We have a tattoo policy that basically states any tattoos have to be in good taste and have to be covered while in uniform. Face and neck tattoos are not permitted and it falls upon the command staff to determine if a tattoo is in good taste or not. For a while, we turned down many former military guys who were definitely suited for the job but the forearm Tattoos / sleeves took them out of the running. We have relaxed the standards but honestly it's pretty f'ing stupid to make guys and gals wear longsleeve shirts in the Florida heat just because they have tattoos ::)

rugger99 said:
I work for a Sheriffs Office as a K9 handler / SWAT Operator. We have a tattoo policy that basically states any tattoos have to be in good taste and have to be covered while in uniform. Face and neck tattoos are not permitted and it falls upon the command staff to determine if a tattoo is in good taste or not. For a while, we turned down many former military guys who were definitely suited for the job but the forearm Tattoos / sleeves took them out of the running. We have relaxed the standards but honestly it's pretty f'ing stupid to make guys and gals wear longsleeve shirts in the Florida heat just because they have tattoos ::)

Our policy at the fire department is pretty much the same. Most of our department staff is tattooed in some fashion ...I have a half sleeve and some others. As long as its not offensive and above the neck line I dont care what the guys/girls get.

rugger99 said:

Same for the sheriff's office I worked for. As a registered nurse the rule is no visible tattoos.. Most nurses cover theirs with a long sleeve under shirt worn under their scrubs or they cover them with a wrap or bandage.

Great thread, I work for chemical company in sales.
Lots of chemist and lab folks have them, funny, first meetings have them covered then when customer knows them the shirt sleeves shorten.