• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

tbi coil question

no excuses

88 4.3v6 w/tbi, on the coil there are two plug inns, one set goes to the dizzy and I think that the other would be for the tach and a hot wire ???? I have the ones hooked up to the dizzy but have lost (I think)the other wire set, I will have to gon a hunt for it or get them from a JY. If I am right then the wire to go to the tach will be what color (green)????

thanks fro any help, stan..

ok I found one at a JY and it has a red wire and a white wire. The white wire was not hooked up and the red wire would be power? the white whire would be for the tach out???

I've just installed a aftermarket tach and was wondering about this as well. I've got the OEM factory manual but since I'm not an expert with electrical diagrams, I gave up on trying to use the book to figure out what wire will give me the tach signal. With reference to the original question, I've got an '89 3.4v6 TBI. The two wires I'm looking at are actually pink and white. For some reason the white one has been cut but the pink one is still hooked up. I guess from the responses, I'll connect to the white wire

the white wire I'm referring to runs into a connector that is shared with the pink wire. These wires seem to be about 14 or 16 ga. This connector is plugged into the coil. There's another connector right next to it with two smaller wires that go to the distributor.

I'm assuming that I'd want to use the wire that is currently cut and sharing the harness with the pink wire that is going somewhere other than the distributor?

the white wire I'm referring to runs into a connector that is shared with the pink wire. These wires seem to be about 14 or 16 ga. This connector is plugged into the coil. There's another connector right next to it with two smaller wires that go to the distributor.

I'm assuming that I'd want to use the wire that is currently cut and sharing the harness with the pink wire that is going somewhere other than the distributor?

Not the white wire (short harness) that goes from the module to the coil--but the thick guage white wire...

yeah, there's a harness with 2 small wires and a harness with two thicker wires (pink and white). From your input, I'll use this thicker white wire

Thank you Mike

Yes the white is the neg side of the coil.
Actually either one is connected the same but it only makes sense to connect the tach to the open wire not connected to the ignition module.

The large pink is 12V switched from the key and the small pink is 12V to the ign module.
Again..both the same, they are the +pos side of the coil windings.