• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tg U-Bolt flip kit/ doesn't' fit well.

grant1

I bought a TG U-Bolt flip kit for my 4 runner. The rear U-bolts it came with are 4 3/8 wide on the stock bolts are 3 5/8. There is good size gap between my housing and the new bolts. The front driver side bolts don't completely touch the housing on the bottom. Not real happy with the kit.Anybody having trouble with stuff moving around?

I had a similar issue with one of my homemade u-bolts. I just check them every few months, and they've never been so lose as to be a problem. On the drivers side front was the worst. I made my own, and the bolts are pretty thick, so I was having trouble getting the squareish shape of the Toy front. I ended up splitting a peice of pipe so that there was contact on the bottom of the u-bolt.:redneck:

Dont worry about it grant just check them after your first couple runs, i had them on my old yota, didnt fit well but work great, if want cleaner look x2 on the marlin one's they fit alot better! :awesomework:

Yeh, any time you do a flip on the front, the kits I've seen (Marlin and TG anyway...) come with round ubolts...on a pre 84 housing, rounds would be fine up front on the driver's side,79-85 housings they should be squared ubolts on the inside ubolt (pass side), and round on the outer (man even I'm having a hard time understanding myself!!!:redneck:)-(driver's side on 84-85 seem ok either way)...they seem to make better contact on the bottom of the housing...There's a company in Everson that custom-bends ubolts while you wait===> Swift Enterprises... Reasonable prices, and good service. They also do custom springs/rearching/etc....

I here the ones that Chop Shop makes fit better...:awesomework:

And local too.:cool:

Also stronger. The TG ones are so soft if you put the impact on a loose one and it rattles around in the plate it will flatten out the threads and booger the nut on for good if you dont see it.:booo:

Surprising that TG sells the kit this way... I've seen Toy rear housings cracked beyond repair in the U-bolt area from this exact problem... I think it's important to have as much of the clamping force distributed "around" the tube as possible, rather than just in a small section at the bottom (like would happen with u-bolts that are too wide).

I wouldn't run it that way, but I'm kind of anal like that. Take some measurements and have some custom u-bolts made to the right size, or call Trail Gear and bitch and make them send you the right ones.

Surprising that TG sells the kit this way... I've seen Toy rear housings cracked beyond repair in the U-bolt area from this exact problem... I think it's important to have as much of the clamping force distributed "around" the tube as possible, rather than just in a small section at the bottom (like would happen with u-bolts that are too wide).

I wouldn't run it that way, but I'm kind of anal like that. Take some measurements and have some custom u-bolts made to the right size, or call Trail Gear and bitch and make them send you the right ones.

:awesomework:

The Trail Gear ones are junk. I made my own top plates out of 1/2" thick cold rolled and got 9/16" u-bolts that fit the housing at Right Way spring in Tacoma.

The kit I got was TG bolts with Warrior plates. The plates are 1/2" thick but the TG bolts just dont fit. I'm taking back the bolts and having Right Way make all new ones. Thanks for all the input.:awesomework:

The kit I got was TG bolts with Warrior plates. The plates are 1/2" thick but the TG bolts just dont fit. I'm taking back the bolts and having Right Way make all new ones. Thanks for all the input.:awesomework:

u robbed my u bolt pile fuwker ! did u get any of them to work? In yakijaw know talk at ya when I get home .

THE RIGHT WAY THE ONLY WAY

I just had some custom 9/16" dia. ubolts made for a Toyota today at Rightway Spring, cost about $40 and came with nice hardware too. :awesomework: