• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Th400 vs. TH700r4???

yep, mine has it, it holds back just as good as a manual... in fact on sandy hills, the ground will be moving faster than the wheels sometimes:awesomework:

Hold on there, weasel. You do have to apply your brakes more than a comparible manual, I think. But I DO think that it holds extremely well for an auto. As a somewhat anti-auto guy, I am very impressed with how you can crawl.:cheer:

Hold on there, weasel. You do have to apply your brakes more than a comparible manual, I think. But I DO think that it holds extremely well for an auto. As a somewhat anti-auto guy, I am very impressed with how you can crawl.:cheer:

true, i have to press the brakes, but that is because of improper gearing (at the time) and now i have to press on the breaks because stuff is now finally starting to slip a bit more than it used to along with it running semi-dry the one day:mad:

Having had a T-18, 700R4 and a 545RE I've got to admit that they all have advantages. I've had TH350 and 400's in cars but not off road rigs. My only objection to the TH 400 is lack of an overdrive. You can get a better first gear for it so the 3.06 700 doesn't have much of an advantage over it. One big advantage of the TH 350 or 400 is the ability to keep them cool. 700's are much more fussy about trans temps and tend to heat up if not built right and used with the proper coolers.
If you're a trailer queen it's not much of a big deal unless you are geared really low in the t-case and need the OD sometimes in 4wd low range. I love to drive my rigs on the street and use them as a convertible when the weather's nice. OD in this case is almost required unless you never see the freeway or enjoy 3500 RPM at 60 mph.
Compression braking is worse with the auto's as well as the tendency to push through the brakes sometimes. I've got great brakes and need them because on some reeeealy steep downhills (think Rimrock or dropping off a ledge while rock crawling) I'll go to neutral. In 4 years with autos I've never really regretted not going to a manual.

I have a sm465 right known and it is wore out and spitting 2nd a lot.
I do like I can use 1st on almost any hill without need for the brakes. I do not like running out of gear in first on hill climbs, and needing to shift into 2nd loosing a lot of power and momentum. I like the idea of an auto if you need a little more gear just pop it into 2nd or if you are getting light in the ass going down hill just goose it a little. I do not need the over drive on my jeep it is a trailer queen

Latest posts