• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Th400 vs. TH700r4???

Metalbender

-=WTF=-
Any opinions on witch tranny is better pros and cons, I will be putting it behind a sb Chevy 383 stroker 375-425 ponies? I know the TH700 has a 3.0 low and the TH400 has a 2.48 first. Cost, strength?

My winter project

I have never even considered this a comparison...... 400. The only benefit is overdrive, sound's like you'll have the power to make up for first gear difference.

I went with a th400 because you can build it up for cheap and it has a 32 spline output. I also got a "k" case.

400 for strength, street perfomance will suffer without the OD but if you trailer most of the time then you won't miss it.

The 700 lo first gear is nice but creates a gap between 1st and 2nd.

There is no comparison...

Attachments

• switchwire.jpg
    switchwire.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 119
Well survey says, TH400 what is a good donor rig to get a th400 out of??

Got a donor 2wd :redneck: But you gotta buy the whole truck,lol

Yes you can build a 700r4 to handle alot but--its going to cost ALOT and only worth it if you are wanting the overdrive. otherwise a th400 can be built cheap and handle ALOT of torture,,

Got a donor 2wd :redneck: But you gotta buy the whole truck,lol

Yes you can build a 700r4 to handle alot but--its going to cost ALOT and only worth it if you are wanting the overdrive. otherwise a th400 can be built cheap and handle ALOT of torture,,

Yeah:rolleyes: , 700r4 output's are just huge, I think my thumb is bigger.

I must defend the 700r4 because i have had one for quite some time in my truck and love it, and if you know the right people you can have one built fairly nicely.... super strong shift kit, rebuild, 4wd tailshaft conversion for $400:awesomework: my source will never be revealed though:fawkdancesmiley:

Houdini of the 700r4, can you put off throttle breaking on a 700r4 like a th400?? i Called TCI today they have a kit or part that lets the th400 give you a breaking feature when you get off the throttle so it does not run away going down hill......

Houdini of the 700r4, can you put off throttle breaking on a 700r4 like a th400?? i Called TCI today they have a kit or part that lets the th400 give you a breaking feature when you get off the throttle so it does not run away going down hill......

yep, mine has it, it holds back just as good as a manual... in fact on sandy hills, the ground will be moving faster than the wheels sometimes:awesomework: