• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The bad karma buggy

Re: Mash yer motor - Csc fab buggy

redneckengineered said:
CSC has acknowledged the shitty work. Why has no one addressed the fact that he has offered on an open forum to fix all the things that are ****ed up with Jonathan's buggy if Jonathan pays the final tab? For all the bitching I've seen about how ****ed up his buggy is, this seems like a good deal to me.

After seeing the work he has done on Jons buggy, I wouldn't let him fix my bicycle. Also, he has already fixed a majority of the issues.

I think everybody also keeps missing that Jonathan told him if his bill gets to $11,000, STOP WORKING. (I think that's the correct number). That didn't happen. And it was still junked together.

rednecklights said:
If you bought a pizza and it was delivered with a nice steamy turd on top would you really want the pizza place to send you another one ?

- Piper

It's obvious CSC is capable of good work. I can only take the man at his word when he says some hack employee ****ed it up and he has remedied the problem. Was it CSCs fault for letting it out of his shop? Absolutely. I would think though with all the eyes on this thread now CSC would fix it legit. Just my .02, I don't have a dog in the fight and don't give a **** either way. I said earlier both parties should just walk away and forget this cluster **** even happened because there's enough dumbassery to go around.

rednecklights said:
52462068abe62b74a2b085f313192174.jpg

So , who approached who ?

2012 eh ? You sure you didn't come mash yer motor racing and try to get them to race one of your buggies ?

- Piper

Oops.

Re: Mash yer motor - csc fab bouncer

scrambled said:
I'd imagine it feels pretty damn good to get this **** of yer chest. The fact that you kept it private for so long shows that you are stand up dude. The builder sending a private message to the dude running this place that shows me that he's going to bed tonight with this **** on his mind.

This has been kept private for a long time. When I say private I mean out of the public's eye. But is well known amongst friends.

muddinmetal said:
The quality of work performed should not change based on price!!! EVER! A quality wood worker can put the same sheen on a 2x4 that he can a piece of mahogany imported from Honduras & honestly I would expect him to want to because he takes pride in his work... A mechanic can still properly tighten a bolt whether he is making $35 a hour or doing a job for a 6 pack, can he not? If you found one of the best welders in the world to weld some pipe for you & he agree to do a job for you for a price & then you saw his welds & they were piss poor & dangerous, how would you feel is he said, "well, you didn't pay me enough to do good work!" You'd flip the hell out!!!!

This "you got what you paid for" stuff is BS.. You get what quality of work the man you are paying is willing to give you... In this case, CSC was obviously content with letting sub par work leave the shop, case closed....

I don't really have a dog in this fight; and I'm not trying to start anything...but I think this is missing the point.

You said a "quality wood worker"... well that quality wood worker costs more money than a "backyard wood worker"

May not be the case in this situation...but peoples skill levels are different. You want the best built buggy in the game, one that works perfectly when you put it on the trailer? Break out your check book and be ready to pay top dollar for it.

QUALITY COSTS MONEY. One guy's definition of quality, is TOTALLY different than the next guy's. Shop A isnt always capable of producing the same quality as Shop B. That is why Shop A is cheaper.... you want to save a buck, and risk something not being perfect? Shop A is your huckleberry. But don't expect them to bend over backwards and offer the best buggy in the business...they sometimes just can't do that. Should they do their absolute best and try to make sure the customer is happy? Absolutely...but guess what....sometimes they just can't do that.

CSC does good work - they have put out some good buggies. I don't think he purposely ****ed up your buggy...there were issues, yes. Some of them were the builders fault, some of them were OPs fault.

My worthless opinion on this whole thing is that both parties are in the wrong here. It's a shitty situation no doubt. I think both parties need to cut their losses and move on. This isn't going anywhere...he has offered to fix it; customer doesn't want to. Not much else can happen there.

Everyone keeps saying cut your losses and move on. I think that was the intent of the OP but he keeps receiving a bill for work he doesn't feel was complete. It seems like the actual story of the money side will never be told. In every argument, there is always two sides to the story and then the truth somewhere in the middle.

why in hell would anyone with any common sense pay more money so they could take their rig back to the same guy who ****ed it up to begin with and get him to fix stuff thats already been fixed?

CSC was pretty foolish not to just agree to drop the bill and let this die out of the public, because after reading all this **** i wouldn't pay or trust them to even fab up a damned grabhandle.

So congrats are in order, because of your greed you have joined the HL hall of shame......747, DynamiteDesign, BigDodge, RobbyBobby, CSC

matth_85 said:
Everyone keeps saying cut your losses and move on. I think that was the intent of the OP but he keeps receiving a bill for work he doesn't feel was complete.

This!

I've known about this for a long time as well, and no way in hell I could have kept quiet about it this long.

That whole low cost for low shelf work **** should not apply here. He wasn't paying for a finished out, polished up blingy, completed $100k show bouncer, it was just more less a solid roller build. Less hours than what is required for someone to build a completed shiny show bouncer, so those comparisons are invalid, then Jon was gonna finish up the rest of the **** himself.

Folks think because he was trying to save money that it's his fault for being a "cheap ass" "get what you pay for" ....**** that. If all was discussed up front like "you complete x, y, and z, and I'll come pick it up, pay you, and finish it myself." It seems pretty clear to me that what was discussed, was not followed appropriately and overcharged for.

Off topic remarks about chassis not involved have been removed. That was just bashing and will not be allowed.

Admin.

Ya'll have to bare with me a bit...I've been up since 1:30 yesterday afternoon and worked 12hrs last night. This never would have been seen on a public forum had it not happened to someone else. Actually, I thought a lot of Labronn right up to the end of our deal. After we first met, we always talked for a while when we ran into each other out riding. I even made a trip down there one day to visit his shop and discuss a separate build. I assumed we were friends. This isn't a bashing or bitch fest. This is someone who's been in Jon's shoes. I feel mine relates to Jon's because there were missteps in both. Jon isn't just making stuff up. This post is meant to show that this isn't the first time it's happened.

With a similar experience, (poor craftsmanship, being told things that never happen, dodging fault and budget issues) I have no doubt what Jon has said is true. His story is pretty much the same since we first spoke. I can certainly see Mr. Andrews being told something different than what actually happened. It happened to me also.

Well....I'll start by saying I have never met face to face with Jon or Alisha Andrews. We have had many conversations on the phone and through text though. They contacted me after their experience with CSC Fab/Labronn to ask about mine. Since our stories seemed similar, a mutual friend put them in contact with me.

I too paid a bunch of money and didn't get the quality you'd expect from a professional shop. To be exact: $19,940.11
$11,000 labor
$2,000 in powder coat
The rest in parts I assume....He had some new software that he would inventory my parts in, figure out what I needed, and list those as well. After that, we would make a contract. I still haven't seen a parts list or contract. Matter of fact, I never had access to this online software until I got my bill on Sept. 20 2013. I had a buggy in boxes basically...A truck bed full. In my mind we were friends and I was content to let him sort it out and see what we needed. Post it in his software, make a contract and get it finished.

Originally, our deal was $4-5,000 in labor to get it finished out. This estimate was made by him over the phone after reviewing a description and pictures. Standing on my trailer, looking it over, before we unloaded the first piece, he asked what I wanted to spend. I said I'd like to be in the $10,000 range. He never varied from his original quote, I thought we were good. With his labor estimate, what parts I thought I needed, I figured we'd hit closer to $13-14k all done...No problem. I wanted a nice shifter, added about 25' of tube, roof panels and switched to powder coat over paint. I nearly stroked when I saw $20k though. Little did I know what was coming after that...
After the initial shock, I was kinda getting ok with it because I had a really nice buggy I could be proud of. (I hadn't seen it yet, my text request for pictures was ignored...Just nothing.)

Well...We went to get it. Some of you have been there, some haven't . There's a huge amount of excitement when you and your wife are getting an awesome new buggy...So much so, you can't sleep the night before. We loaded up and make the 3-4 hour trip. Hop out of the truck and head in. It's at this point I know something is very wrong. My heart sank and my head dropped. I looked over at my wife and she's just shaking her head. We walk around it and she asks if I'm ok, "nope", she heads back to the truck.
So Labronn walks up and says what do you think? "Powder coat looks good." was all I could get out.
I point out a couple things, they're scrambling around trying to get me gone. I had just spent $20k and the engine didn't even have an air filter on it. His guy had to go get a part from the store to do it.
I drove around the lot and loaded it on the trailer. Labronn walked out when I was tightening the last strap to see if I needed help. (get his check)
Before I handed it to him I said this isn't $11,000 worth of labor. His reply: "oh yes it is and more I didn't charge you for." So...To me, that means we're done here. I left.

Over the next couple weeks I looked the buggy over, making a list of items that needed done, redone, etc.

This is the list of things that needed done, not completed as requested, billed and not done, or done incorrectly.

Remove engine for proper preparation and painting. (Installed dirty, half painted with incorrect paint, rusty pulleys)
Remove, box, and ship or deliver exhaust system to a coater for ceramic coating.
New hydraulic hose for steering. Current one is too short and is kinked in a bend.
Dismount tires, remove plastic bag from sealing surface, remount.
Remove rear steering ram to install a bolt left out of axle housing. (Causing a leak.)
Remove both front and rear ram ends to be powdercoated. (left rusted)
Remove skid plate to tighten bolts left loose. (Found hand tight bolts everywhere. Each bolt on the buggy will have to be checked/retightened.)
Counter sink bolts in skid plate to prevent damage. Use new, correct hardware during reinstall.
Remove axles from buggy for correct stripping and painting. Military paint was painted over, new paint is peeling off in several places already.
Several bolts are missing on the axle housings. These are causing leaks. Replace bolts. Refill with gear fluid.
Remove interior. Have correct coating applied. (requested bedliner on interior parts) Reinstall.
Replace missing hardware on shifter inside buggy. Missing nuts and keeper on shifter cable.
Remove all sheetmetal, have clearcoated as requested, reinstall with the correct stainless steel button head bolts. Repowder any damaged sheetmetal due to not clearcoating the first time.
Remove ALL zipties and replace with rubber coated clamps to prevent premature wear and failure.
Remove safety harness uppers and route them through the seats the proper way.
Remove gear shifter cable spacer, powdercoat, reinstall. (left bare metal, rusted.)
Remove "aluminum tape" from hoses. Install correct covers to protect hoses from heat, etc.
Replace link bolts (and others) with the correct length. Most are 1-2" too long.
Build and powdercoat new battery box. Current one has no protection on the back. Also, needs a padded hold down to prevent wear damage.
Drain and remove fuel tank for clearcoat.
Build winch mount and powdercoat for front axle. Install.
Add lights, wiring, and mounts. (without damaging powdercoat already on the buggy.)
Remove anti-rock, polish, reinstall.
Add vent filter to Atlas transfer case to prevent dirt and water from entering case.
Have machine shop make knobs for Atlas shifter handles.
Remove driveshafts, paint, reinstall. (front is missing grease cap, have one made.)
Add fire extinguishers. (Driver and passenger side.)
Powdercoat transmission cooler mount. (left raw metal)
Replace steam port hose from head to water pump. Use proper clamp. Leaking, and sucking air into cooling system. Causing overheating issues.
Powdercoat engine accessory mounts. (alternator and hydraulic steering mounts left bare steel)

Here's a couple pictures from when I got home:

Labronn did offer to fix "most' of it. I refused. Wife and I discussed it...We agreed that us nor the buggy had any business back at his shop. I knew there would be a charge for something...even a hose clamp. I had given all the money to him I cared to. Plus I was told that there was stuff I didn't get charged for already when I left the first time...Didn't need another surprise.

So...Yes I know exactly where the Andrews are coming from.

Some have pointed out "You get what you pay for" Yes, you do...At what dollar amount should you expect quality? I'm almost certain I spent more than the Andrews...Does that list or those pictures reflect a quality product? Maybe I'm wrong here...Did I set my expectations too high for the dollar amount I spent? Did I let myself down? I don't think so...I've been wrong before though.

Some of you say I'd do this or that. Trust me...You don't know till you're in the situation. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

JohnG...I hope you don't think this is "bashing". I certainly didn't mean for it to come off that way...I've been up a while though.

Labronn....This is prolly gonna make you mad. I hate that. I hate I lost you as a friend. (though I suspect the feeling wasn't mutual none of the time though.) I don't want anything from you, not even an apology. You're the shop owner and I'm not really anybody...But...I'd suggest a little better quality control. If you truly didn't know about their chassis being that bad, there's a problem. No matter who's at fault, it rests on you. We've all seen what can come out of your shop. In my opinion, you fumbled these two.

Ok I am gonna barrow my wife's phone so I can post a few pics. I will say I left out the part of mine and labronn "friendship" but labronn brought it up. He acted like we were best friends. Called me all the time, found us at rides, and even would go out to eat with us. I really hated losing that but I guess mixing friends and buisness is bad after all. I left the stickers on my buggy as long as I could hoping I was in the wrong. I have heard take it back and let him fox it but the only major thing I have left is the seat slider.
4fc054af6f95a1760fae2b60063dbe9d.jpg

This seat bolt not lining up will be fixed when I install new seat slider
e0d4b4fe490a8a93c394c019661463ed.jpg

Here is the Atlas shifter that is hitting because I installed it improperly that will be fixed at time of seat slider
6535508e3caba4ead855c739ac33ba87.jpg

There are sheet metal screws ran into my radiator that I guess I will a dress when or if they vibrate enough to cause it to leak
3ea1df3ccd69d7aaba63a8b64ad87b49.jpg

I asked for a safe and right buggy that I could drive back to the trailer with no axle under it if needed.
If I break a coilovers my upper link WILL destroy my radiator. My radiator is bolted to my fuel cell. Someone please put me out if I am not racing and this becomes an issue. I wanted 9k worth of RIGHT fabrication. I know how to do it I just don't have time. I should have Ben working on it today for the race next weekend but my little girl I haven't Seen in a week wanted to play ball. I really hate this happened and it went this direction but I have avoided it at all costs. Like Draco stated I am just trying to justify why I don't think paying the remaining balance or taking it back would be the best thing in my intrest. I really just want to move on at this point and say this was a learning experience for both parties.

To all of you who said "you get what you pay for"
How much does one have to pay?
So now that some have called Jonathan cheap and wanting something for nothing. It would appear that paying top dollar doesn't get it done either.
And to those who said "just take it back to him he has offered to fix it".
Would you really take it back to him? If you would speak up.
BUT I GUESS THERE WILL STILL BE THOSE WHO SAY THESE TWO GUYS ARE JUST COMPLAINING AND AND WANTING SOMETHING FOR NOTHING....
I have a feeling there are more that just these guys as well

I can see why they don't want to let him "fix" it. I'd be the same way. You did it wrong why would I have faith in your "fix" job is the feeling I'd be having. I wonder how many other CSC customer were not truly happy with their bill/buggy that won't see this to post up or too scared to provide more facts to help this jury of peers decide who is telling facts or fiction.
Far as get what u paid for it's been said already but the quality should not reflect the price bc as a business it makes it look like u put out backyard fab'd rigs if the quality is bc of what u pay. I know you don't always have deep pocket builds and you may have to do small jobs but like said the quality should still be there at any price agreed on PERIOD.

no way in hell I'd pay for anything over agreed amount or a verbal cutoff point. Looks like this is just a cut your losses case to me but I don't make up the full jury so my votes in.

Both walk away and call it even.

AdamF said:
I think this pic was to show the rusty clevis, but what about that cooked link tab? Is it the angle of the picture making it look off?

First i saw the crooked link tab.(possible camera angle)
Second i seen a zip tie.
Third I seen the rusty clevis.

its a 3 for 1 pic

The whole you get what you pay for deal, should all shops have 2 rates? Pay X rate if you want really good work and pay Y rate if you want half ass work. How about a shop charges a rate that they feel is on par for their service. If a customer only has 10,000 to put towards the job and the shop feels it can't do the job for that price, it shouldn't take the job.