• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The ball is rolling on the new job offer!

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
Well, some of you might remember me mentioning in the "what do you do for work" thread on here, that I have been offered a job by my current prosthetic care provider, Fourroux Prosthetics in Huntsville, AL. I've been talking with them about this opportunity ever since they first mentioned it to me about 8 months ago, usually only discussing it little by little at my check-up appointments since they stay very busy and I live an hour away. They haven't elaborated in fine detail yet as to what they would be willing to pay me, all I know is that they know my annual wages and are aware of all my current benefits with Siemens Energy, and simply stated "that doesn't scare us a bit". So I'm assuming I have nothing to worry about in that area, but I can't be entirely certain until an ultimatum has been decided. They also mentioned helping with my school, which Siemens currently pays for my books/tuition, so that's another perk that should rollover. I was off work all of last week and had scheduled a day (last Wednesday) to go work a day in the office with Fourroux and get more of a behind the scenes look at all of the operations start to finish with the clinicians. When I arrived, I met with a guy named Kim, whom was the initial person to mention the job to me. Kim is also kin to Daniel on here (Onetoncrawler). Anyways, Kim has been an above-knee amputee for over 35 years, and has been with Fourroux for on the upside of 12-13 years, if I'm not mistaken. One of our discussions involved Kim stating this is pretty much how he came to work at Fourroux, by the owner Keith approaching him with basically the same deal they have approached me with…he said that was the best decision he's ever made in his life and he had been at his previous job for 20 years or something. Kim asked me this past Wednesday if I would be available to take off work from my current job any time soon to go with him on some of his business marketing travels and get a better look at what he does for the company. So, best I can gather, marketing is their focus of interest for me, maybe to even take his spot one day when he retires, who knows.

Pretty much, I'm opening this up for discussion, advice, opinions, etc, because it's a big deal to me and it's a little sketchy considering a new job atmosphere after only being 26 years old and having been at my current job for almost 8 years now. I have seniority, matched 401k contributions, good insurance, paid tuition/books, 15 minute drive to work, security, but sometimes I really get aggravated with my job, moreso the people in it. It's not out of the ordinary for me to have to stay on people's butts that make a lot more money than I do, to do their job correctly, so that I'm able to do mine correctly. Really gets old, but that's what happens in manufacturing plants. Overall, they at Fourroux know that I'm not in any hurry to drop my job, just as they aren't really in need of a new employee, as much as they are looking at me as a long term asset. So it's fortunate for both parties involved that neither of us are rushed and can take time to weigh out everything and make the right choice.

Some of the positives of the transition to Fourroux that really appeal to me: Seems in my mind there will be more room for advancement/involvement long term, Actually being able to come in every day and loving my job (hopefully), The overall rewarding feeling of helping others through a low point in their life, working in a professional atmosphere with people who get the job done, and of course hopes of higher pay.

The only downside that I can think of is the hour's drive compared to my current 15 minute drive, extra fuel costs and wear and tear on my vehicle(s). But I've already settle on and accepted the extra driving. I don't think it will be too bad after I get used to it. And there may be some sort of job perk where I get compensated for fuel costs somehow, that hasn't been discussed yet. Kim also lives about an hour away as does 2 or 3 more that work there and they drive it every day no problem. My big thing is not moving from where I'm at.

Everything about this so far sounds awesome to me. I'm just really hesitant to settle on really big changes like this, I've learned wise decisions are usually greatly contemplated on first, so any and all possible aspects are considered and accepted. So please, feel free to share any input with this. I have talked to several people about this and the majority say go for it, I just want the opinions from an adverse group of people and some of you are really good at assessing situations with an open mind. My dad, for one, has probably the farthest thing from an open mind. His words were similar to this " I think you're messing up" and "that just sounds stupid" lol.

Here's a link to their website, and the staff's credentials. Keith Watson, is a VERY smart man and actually done the most in fitting me for my new leg last year. It's cool to see him as an owner, also in the office getting his hands dirty. Kim is mentioned directly below Keith.
http://www.fourrouxprosthetics.com/about-us/meet-our-staff.html

Re: Re: Re: The ball is rolling on the new job offer!

ibrokeit said:
I may have missed it but what will you be doing there?

Last couple sentences of first paragraph lol. I know it was a long winded post, my mind has just been going a million mph thinking about this, especially since last week.

Sent from my not-so-dumb phone...

just my opinion , but from experience , an hour drive sucks compared to a 15 min drive , may not seem like a big deal now but once the "new" wears off the job i guarantee it will be a big deal. unless the pay is substantially better i would politely decline. good luck in your decision !

The overall rewarding feeling of helping others through a low point in their life,

I know this is near and dear to your heart, If you never take big risk you never get big rewards!!!

Macman said:
The overall rewarding feeling of helping others through a low point in their life,

I know this is near and dear to your heart, If you never take big risk you never get big rewards!!!

That's what I'm trying to tell myself. I remember in that job thread where several people mentioned the best career move they ever made was traveling outside their comfort zone, and that saying has stuck with me ever since.

the grass aint always greener on the other side. if you got issues at one job chances are another job will have its own issues just diff. people. The 1hr drive will suck but if the pay is more and covers the cost of gas/wear and tear and then some it might be worthwhile. tuff call, best of luck what ever you choose

If you are going to do a career change do it while you are young, don't wait until you are old like some of us, I made my final career change at 25, best damn career decision I ever made. We have folks here that aint happy but they have 20 plus years in and they are wearing what we call the "golden handcuffs" to much seniority, vacation and pay to make the move now, and they are un-happy with their job. Go with your gut Josh.

Joc said:
the grass aint always greener on the other side. if you got issues at one job chances are another job will have its own issues just diff. people. The 1hr drive will suck but if the pay is more and covers the cost of gas/wear and tear and then some it might be worthwhile. tuff call, best of luck what ever you choose

Def a tuff call, it would probably be a lot easier of a call to make if they were to go ahead and lay everything out on the table for me. But they are leaving a lot of gray area and questions to be asked. Mainly I think they are doing that to see if I'm truly interested in the job and not just tired of mine and ready for something else. Of every single person I've talked to that works there, they all love their job. Or at least say they do. It's like a big family there, everyone hangs out with and helps each other outside of work. It's been plainly visible that the atmosphere at Fourroux is very family like. I've spent a lot of time over there on the patient side of things, and things seemed the same from the behind the scenes side that I saw last week.

When we all left there Wednesday, several of us went over to one guy's house, shot fireworks and played beer pong all night long lol. I like people who get the job done but still likes to have fun like that. That whole day was an awesome experience.

Re: Re: The ball is rolling on the new job offer!

And might I add one huge important perk that I forgot. Going to fawkin dayshift...I've been working for 11 years of my life and of those 11 years, I've prolly only spent about 6 months total on dayshift. Prolly will be stuck on 2nd for a good while longer at my current job. Need a lot of old fawkers here to make like JohnG and retire. molaugh

If I were u I'd ask all the questions that u need to know. Maybe they want you to make the first move. Ask what their intentions are and then get to pay and benefits. Understand that if the company grows the family atmosphere might change drastically. My wife and I have been driving for the same company for 10 years and when we started it was a family atmosphere but they have gotten bigger and that has changed. We still like working here so not a big deal for us however might b for u. Good luck and I agree with Mark go with ur gut and change while ur young if u are going to change. The older u get the harder it will b for u to make a change.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The ball is rolling on the new job offer!

trucker said:
If I were u I'd ask all the questions that u need to know. Maybe they want you to make the first move. Ask what their intentions are and then get to pay and benefits. Understand that if the company grows the family atmosphere might change drastically. My wife and I have been driving for the same company for 10 years and when we started it was a family atmosphere but they have gotten bigger and that has changed. We still like working here so not a big deal for us however might b for u. Good luck and I agree with Mark go with ur gut and change while ur young if u are going to change. The older u get the harder it will b for u to make a change.

They are definitely growing, they just opened up their 2nd location in Memphis, TN. I've made it clear to them that I want to stay centralized at the Huntsville "headquarters" if you will. I believe the company has a bright future ahead and I'm obviously a lifelong prosthetic care customer unless my leg grows back lol so maybe I'll get some prosthetic product hookups. My current insurance only covers 80% of prosthetic care now with a $2500 out of pocket max on co-insurance. So free leg stuff, may be a very valuable perk also. When they made my new leg (only part of it) salvage the most expensive stuff off the original one I got, my portion owed was still $1350. So the **** gets expensive.

Get the new job offer in writing so you can evaluate. Or at a minimum, have a meeting where you take a lot of notes, then email a "What I understand is" letter and get a written response that way. Know what the offer is and know what they expect from you in return. There should be no grey area. If you get ****ed on the hire, it will never get better.

As to retirement, after the rain last week, Florida is nice!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk with my left thumb.

JohnG said:
Get the new job offer in writing so you can evaluate. Or at a minimum, have a meeting where you take a lot of notes, then email a "What I understand is" letter and get a written response that way. Know what the offer is and know what they expect from you in return. There should be no grey area. If you get ****ed on the hire, it will never get better.

That's the exact sort of advice I'm fishing for, thank you. Definitely will take that measure to ensure there's no room to flip the script on me.

And don't get any sand in your vagina down there! ;D

JohnG said:

JohnG speaks the truth!!! I was going to mention the In Writing part as well cause I am just leaving a job in which the boss (long time family friend of 30+ years) has backed out on every verbal agreement we had originally set in place. I had a verbal contract with him since he was dads fraternity brother but he royally screwed me over about multiple facets of the monetary aspect of the job, so a mans word, ain't a mans word.

Working days would be a benefit, but would you have to work weekends? Typical 40 hour work week or more hours? Have to consider the drive time as more hours too, per se. How much travel time and how much over night travel? Would they let ya rock your custom prosthetic at the office? Would they allow post-whoring while,on the clock?

I'd recommend making a morning trip there sometime just to see what the drive is like. I drive 40 minutes one way into the city and generally don't mind it because of dodging wild animals, bicyclists, "being a nosey neighbor" by seeing what's going on everywhere, and watching the houses being built. Some nights I hate being 40 minutes from home, but necessary evil.

ridered3 said:
JohnG speaks the truth!!! I was going to mention the In Writing part as well cause I am just leaving a job in which the boss (long time family friend of 30+ years) has backed out on every verbal agreement we had originally set in place. I had a verbal contract with him since he was dads fraternity brother but he royally screwed me over about multiple facets of the monetary aspect of the job, so a mans word, ain't a mans word.

Working days would be a benefit, but would you have to work weekends? Typical 40 hour work week or more hours? Have to consider the drive time as more hours too, per se. How much travel time and how much over night travel? Would they let ya rock your custom prosthetic at the office? Would they allow post-whoring while,on the clock?

I'd recommend making a morning trip there sometime just to see what the drive is like. I drive 40 minutes one way into the city and generally don't mind it because of dodging wild animals, bicyclists, "being a nosey neighbor" by seeing what's going on everywhere, and watching the houses being built. Some nights I hate being 40 minutes from home, but necessary evil.

Best I can tell it's a solid 9-5 job, mon-fri, and will prolly involve some traveling at times, but not all the time. Still not certain about that. When I went over there last wednesday, it was like a mock work day, so I made the drive and worked a full day. Wasn't bad at all. I got there early (8:30am) before about 75% of the staff was there. We ended up locking the doors and leaving at 5:30pm. I'm sure it will be focusing alot on outreach, so I'm figuring that will involve traveling around, speaking with doctors/patients, trying to spread the word that Fourroux is the place to go for artificial limbs. That's another thing, I know first hand how great the people are there and just how skilled they are at what they do, bc I left my original prosthetic care facility and switched to Fourroux. So it's pretty awesome if I'm out there trying to build business and am actually able stand behind my words, instead of just doing it because it's my job.

Where I live, it's really not out of the ordinary for ppl to drive an hour, either to Huntsville, Chattanooga, or even Gadsden, for work.

I travel with my job and an hour commute is certainly the norm. It's something you get used to pretty quickly with satellite radio to keep the mind occupied.
My dad told me that every man gets one major career 'break' in life and it's up to that man to take the risk. I left the comfort and security of working in manufacturing, where I'd been on night shift for the majority of 15 years, to go on the road building pipelines. Best decision I ever made.
Don't let a longer commute or seniority where you work now determine your future outcome. My father gave 25 years of his life to a corporation but when **** hit the fan they rolled on him and forced him into early retirement and a major cut in pension.
Do what's best for you. Your services are for sale and they go to the highest bidder.

it sounds like this job is something you have a lot of personal interest and passion for, not many people can say that about what they do....go for it (if it's legit) your a youngster and you only live once :dblthumb:

Yea what John,Yankster and Neal said JD :dblthumb: ,,,and I can,t believe the folks fussin bout "1 hour drive to work" ...HAH,,,my old drive was average hour and half and sometimes longer goin into Atl :gtfo:

my commute is now only 30 mins but I did not leave the old job cause of the commute :spin:

oh,,, and it might sound bad but that field in wich you wish to step has the advantage of job security ,,,you know of the 'medical' type

That's what's up. Good to hear others whom have been in a similar situation and it worked out for the better. Was talking to Mo a little about it yesterday and it helps a lot hearing of other's success stories like that. Got my fingers crossed that the fine details work out like I have pictured.

And yes Neal, the way I've described to others is: All my life, I've never been able to put my finger on "what I wanted to do when I grow up" but since this opportunity has came along, it has taken my interest more than anything career-wise has to date.