• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

the best safety glasses ever?

binderbound

I'm looking for the bomb of safety glasses.I'm sick of these cheap ass,foggy,ugly,pieces you buy at the safety supply store.

I bought the most expensive pair I could and was very disapointed at their fit and performance.

Any suggestions?

I have tried numerous kinds in the shop, the goggle style were good for protection, but fogged up way too easy, standard eye protection left some protection to be desired.

For the last 18 months we have been using "Body Glove" brand eye protection (get them at Praxaire) in clear and tinted versions.
They are inexpensive, and have proven themselves strong and protective, I have had them fend off a pissed off angle grinder coming at my face, with minor scratching, the darker tinted ones work good for plasma cutting as well.

I use almost nothing but Smith & Wesson's....and really like them....the yellow's are my favorite....

but.....I use these ones because all my friends in 'the trades' all seem to use the S&W's.....so, thats what I get..

Berne said:
I use almost nothing but Smith & Wesson's....and really like them....the yellow's are my favorite....

but.....I use these ones because all my friends in 'the trades' all seem to use the S&W's.....so, thats what I get..

I 'borrowed' a few pairs from work and they are S&W rebadges I think. they look identical. I like them OK but after a week or so they seem to loose their anti fogging qualitys. For some reason I sweat like a hog on easter when I fab, and I really need to see.

Guess I'll do some googleing

There is a really good thread on pirate, I think Mark Harris posted it (welndmn) but I'm too cheap to buy my red star so I can't search for it so maybe someone else can. I have been seriously thinking about the same thing, but I want some comfortable enough for night time MTB rides..

starlights are my overall favorite. Use for construction nearly three years now. only 3 dollars and fit good. Work n more has all the flavors, usually need to ask for the mirrored ones though.

What, no one uses 5.00 sunglasses from the mini-mart down the street? :redneck:

I'm with crash and Crusty on this one, I prefer the full face shield... too many close calls with the stupid grinder. Obviously it's not going to be bulletproof, but I think it will do a better job protecting me than a pair of glasses in the event something does happen (like a grinder disc coming apart at high rpm... scary when you're just wearing glasses).

Plus, the shields are the only thing I can wear that don't fog up on me on the hot/humid summer days.

NotMatt said:
What, no one uses 5.00 sunglasses from the mini-mart down the street? :redneck:

I'm with crash and Crusty on this one, I prefer the full face shield... too many close calls with the stupid grinder. Obviously it's not going to be bulletproof, but I think it will do a better job protecting me than a pair of glasses in the event something does happen (like a grinder disc coming apart at high rpm... scary when you're just wearing glasses).

Plus, the shields are the only thing I can wear that don't fog up on me on the hot/humid summer days.

What shield do you like the best?

I have a pair of Viper's that I really like, but they are getting scratched up and the rubber nose piece fell off. I can't seem to find them anywhere. I have about 10 pair of other brands, but I don't like the way they fit. I also need to buy an new shield for my full face mask.

Technically isn't the rule face shield AND glasses?

I have to wear a face shield at the day job and I can't stand it.they are less than durable.its hard to work in tight spaces with the face shield too.sparks make their way around the shield easier IMO.

I'm looking for something I can put on as soon an I set foot in the shop and not take off until I leave.I almost took a stray wire to the eye Monday.I'm not talking about grinding only,I'm talking good enough to wear like regular glasses.

Thanks.

if fogging is ith problem might try those anti fog wipes for the inside of your car windows. dish soap residue works for a day or so if you polish the smudges out.

Bob

I found these bad boys.
safetyglassesusa_1894_56015708

Little spendy at $110 but possibly worth it.

I never was a believer in the whole' brand name sunglasses' thing. Who would spend $200 for a pair of glasses that are gonna get ruined in 2 months any way? My girlfriend bought me a pair of Oakley 'twentys' about 5 years ago. they have been the best sun glasses I have ever owned, period. Lense durability, ZERO fogging(even during strenious activities), stays attached to my face. If the safety glasses are as good as the sunglasses, i'm sold.

Last edited:
I have always bought quality sunglasses. I wear them all the time due to light sensitivity. And Oakley's are my lens of choice. But I don't think I'd shell out the cash for their safety glasses. I'm too hard on them.

War-Jeeper said:
What shield do you like the best?

I don't know what the brand is on the one I have, I bought it a while ago at the local welding/safety supply place though. I'll have to look next time I use it.