• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Dirt Squirrel v. 2.0 -- Even Dirtier

The Goatbuilt steering column I have on my rig is pretty sweet. It even tilts! I got my orbital mounted on the firewall as well.

https://goatbuilt.com/shop/ibex/ibex-steering-column-kit/

rovmike35 said:
The Goatbuilt steering column I have on my rig is pretty sweet. It even tilts! I got my orbital mounted on the firewall as well.

https://goatbuilt.com/shop/ibex/ibex-steering-column-kit/

That's definitely a nice unit mike. I think I'm going to use the factory column modified to have the orbital on the outside of the firewall. I'll mod the factory steering wheel for a quick release.

After another month of working on glorious Ghana, i made it back home last week. Spent some time over the long weekend and finished the removable belly tubes and painted everything.

Resealed my adapter to my atlas and changed out the filter in the 4l60e while i had it drained. Tonight ill put that back in the chassis and start to reseal the rear on the lq4 while i have it on the table. Plan is to replace the rear main seal and the rear cover gasket. (it leaked from somewhere on the rear of the block and annoyed the **** out of me). Ill install the LS1 f-body pan and baffling then hopefully get it in tonight as well.

Installed the engine/trans/atlas over the last couple of evenings. It was nice that everything went in exactly as it came out. No mods were needed to any of the mounts which is usually a problem i have with things. :D

Engine is fully dressed.

Front axle is now on the table for final weld out and a rebuild.

Put in some more work this weekend. Doesnt look like much, but it was a lot.

1. Tore down the old axle for its parts.
2. Fully welded out the front axle.
3. Tried to install the gears in the new housing using the same bearings and shims. Well i couldnt get that lucky, so I took it to a local mechanic and wheeler to have him setup the gears correctly. I dont have a press yet so doing diff work would have been challenging.
4. Installed the Improved Racing baffling in the f-body oil pan and installed on engine.
5. Welded out my driveshafts and painted them. Ill get them installed today.
6. Welded out the rear end and boxed in the bump pads. Painted it as well.
7. painted all 8 links
8. installed the rear end and squared it up.

Pics.
New baffle. Hope it keeps the oil pressure in check.

Rear end installed.

Dat ass tho

I hope to get the front end back later this week then i can get it painted and rebuilt with new kingpins/seals/etc. Should be a complete roller by the end of the week.

What thickness of sheetmetal is everyone using for floorboards in their buggies? Firewalls? Using standard sheet metal so i can weld it up. I was thinking 14ga for everything. Too much? Not enough?Im dreading this part of the build.

Thanks Matt. Yeah definitely using steel for all the parts i have to weld. If i can find some aluminum, i will use that for the bolt on stuff. Kind of a mix and match.

My floors are 1/8" aluminum

All other panels like dash, console etc are .080" aluminum

Then skins are the standard I think
.040"

Did some more work this weekend. Fully welded and rebuilt the front axle with new seals and a new RuffStuff diff cover.

All painted up

And installed.

And we have a roller again.

Did some prep work to the cab and got the inside painted black. Outside will be similar to my last build. Blue with a black top. On a side note, I need to buy stock in the adhesive Toyota used as it took a cup brush on an angle grinder to remove it.

Next up drivers door bar, then i can get the cab on and start the floor panels and interior.

Got a little work done yesterday evening. Stickered up the roof. Also added the drivers door bar so i can get the cab back on tonight. Welded up the exhaust pieces and got them wrapped in exhaust wrap. Not sure if im going to leave the wrap on or just get some VHT paint and paint it.

Some pics.

Looking great man. Super progress

Is it just me or do we all stand and stare at our projects thinking about 4 things at one time?

My wife comes out and catches me staring all the time. Asks what the heck I'm doing. Coincidence I think

Re: Re: The Dirt Squirrel v. 2.0 -- Even Dirtier

LightBnDr said:
Looking great man. Super progress

Is it just me or do we all stand and stare at our projects thinking about 4 things at one time?

My wife comes out and catches me staring all the time. Asks what the heck I'm doing. Coincidence I think
More hours doing this than actual work...unfortunately.

Matt