• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Dirt Squirrel v. 2.0 -- Even Dirtier

the_white_shadow said:
I made my own mount to hang the transmission. I flipped the trans to Atlas adapter from AA over 180 and used the bolt holes. I also added some tabs to capture two of the studs on the atlas. I learned the hard way that the 6-bolt pattern on the atlas is not symmetrical when flipped 180. I had to drill out a couple of the holes in the adapter to get them to line up with the studs on the atlas.

The jims garage buggies use a similar mount but don't flip the adapter. I'm not sure if its something he sells separately or something he just uses on his builds.

Yea i talked to Advanced Adapters about this last week and they doubled checked for me to make sure that the adapter could / could n't be flipped upside down and i was told by them that it could not because it is not symmetrical.....how do you fee about drilling it out? Did you have any issues to speak of? I looks like some of these companies making adapters would get on board and make one that could be used upside down.

I only had to drill out 2 of the holes to get the adapter to fit. The studs were close just had to open them up some. There wasnt any plan in the atlas/adapter once i clamped them down. Im running a TMR mount for the rear of my atlas as well so i hope things stay nice and tight. I will check them after the first couple trips to see if they loosen up.

Well, finally got my aluminum in and started to add some panels to the interior. I hate interior work. Going to work on the side pieces this afternoon. Its going to suck as i have to add a bend or two to enclose everything up.

Added the 4wd fenders and mocked up the front end again to see where everything was going to fit. Going to need a little trim here and there.

That looks freakin cool. A little tip on the aluminum, if you're cutting with a plasma take the film off first. That **** melts on and is pretty damn tough to take off.

Beerj said:
That looks freakin cool. A little tip on the aluminum, if you're cutting with a plasma take the film off first. That **** melts on and is pretty damn tough to take off.

Thanks for the tip. No plasma for me. Cutoff wheels only (Lame i know). This piece didnt have any film on it. Just a stamp from the manufacturer.

Drivers side and passengers side panel doghouse panels are in. A pic of the foot space with the brake pedal installed and the gas pedal sitting in place. Need to build a bracket to use the stock gas pedal. Shouldnt be too hard.

First attempt at the air intake tube. Dont think it will get enough fresh cool air here so i moved it out some.

Fuel cell is in and plumbed. Trans cooler is mounted and plumbed.

Walbro pump and vette regulator mounted & plumbed.

Dash pad is in. Steering wheel disconnect is welded in. Need to make an adapter to mount the stock wheel. Gauges are in and wired. Switch panel is in and wired to the main panel. Engine harness in connected. Need to make a couple new battery leads to power the battery disconnect then i should be able to fire it up. Hopefully this evening.

Ill then continue to wire all the accessories (E-fans, lights, etc) and clean up and loom the wires. Its getting closer.

Looking great! You get your computer in yet? If not, leave some good space. It's probably bigger than you remember. Lol

Re: Re: The Dirt Squirrel v. 2.0 -- Even Dirtier

the_white_shadow said:

And everyone thinks my footwell is tight, welcome to the roasted toes club...it's very elite...just you and i...

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

Beerj said:
Looking great! You get your computer in yet? If not, leave some good space. It's probably bigger than you remember. Lol

Computer will be going under the passenger seat. Plenty of room there.

Tried to start it tonight but the battery appateby didn't hold the charge I out in it from the night before. 11volts isn't going to start anything. Just sad clicks. Haha.
It's a 5 year old diehard platinum That has been shelved for two separate 1 year periods. I even jumped it and its still dead. Time for a new odyssey.

Re: Re: The Dirt Squirrel v. 2.0 -- Even Dirtier

mcutler said:
And everyone thinks my footwell is tight, welcome to the roasted toes club...it's very elite...just you and i...

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

Haha yep. I'm going to add some fat mat to the panels to hopefully keep the heat down. Exhaust is wrapped but it is what it is.

So last night was supposed to be a huge step forward. Made new battery cables. Added all the grounds to the engine/body/frame/etc. Topped off the trans with new fluid. Gave everything a once over. Hit the start button and click...click...click. I guess after 5 years the Diehard Platinum finally **** the bed. I charged it the previous day, but i guess with it sitting on the shelf almost a year (on two separate occasions), it had enough. Even hooked up jumper cables to it and it would turn over once or twice, then click.

Headed to 4WP during lunch to day to get an Odyssey AGM since it fits in the same Ruffstuff battery tray i welded to the chassis. There went $280.

The 3rd attempt to start it. Fail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DNmaLua160

the_white_shadow said:
So last night was supposed to be a huge step forward. Made new battery cables. Added all the grounds to the engine/body/frame/etc. Topped off the trans with new fluid. Gave everything a once over. Hit the start button and click...click...click. I guess after 5 years the Diehard Platinum finally **** the bed. I charged it the previous day, but i guess with it sitting on the shelf almost a year (on two separate occasions), it had enough. Even hooked up jumper cables to it and it would turn over once or twice, then click.

Headed to 4WP during lunch to day to get an Odyssey AGM since it fits in the same Ruffstuff battery tray i welded to the chassis. There went $280.

The 3rd attempt to start it. Fail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DNmaLua160

That sucks!

FWIW.....the Duracell AGM that Sam's sells for $129 is made by East/Penn. The same company that makes the Diehard AGM as well as the Odyssey. The Duracell is deep cycle stable like a Yellow Top or an Odyssey and the Odyssey battery box works with Duracell and Diehard AGM batteries.

I am really loving this build BTW. Keep the updates coming. :popcorn:

scooter60 said:
That sucks!

FWIW.....the Duracell AGM that Sam's sells for $129 is made by East/Penn. The same company that makes the Diehard AGM as well as the Odyssey. The Duracell is deep cycle stable like a Yellow Top or an Odyssey and the Odyssey battery box works with Duracell and Diehard AGM batteries.

I am really loving this build BTW. Keep the updates coming. :popcorn:

Im actually looking at that same battery now. Trying to find the dimensions to see if it will fit in the same battery box i have.

the_white_shadow said:
Im actually looking at that same battery now. Trying to find the dimensions to see if it will fit in the same battery box i have.

If you look on the Barnes4wd site, the box they offer for Odyssey Betteries they say fits a Diehard and I know the dimensions are the same between the Diehard and the Duracell. My research has found that they both fit nice and snug in the Barnes box. I know you can't depend on it but I would think both the Barnes and Ruffstuff boxes are the same dimensions if they fit the same battery.

scooter60 said:
If you look on the Barnes4wd site, the box they offer for Odyssey Betteries they say fits a Diehard and I know the dimensions are the same between the Diehard and the Duracell. My research has found that they both fit nice and snug in the Barnes box. I know you can't depend on it but I would think both the Barnes and Ruffstuff boxes are the same dimensions if they fit the same battery.

Im hoping so. I already welded the box to my chassis so id like to get a battery that already fits it. After some research it looks like the Duracell and Napa Legend AGM batteries are made by the same company (Deka/East Penn) and are made in the USA. They are a very similar size to the Odyssey that i hope it fits. I ordered the Napa since they are a local small business and have always done me right. It was a little more than the Duracell but after having to buy a Sams membership, it was pretty much a wash. Should have it this afternoon to see if it fits. Fangers crossed.

the_white_shadow said:
Im hoping so. I already welded the box to my chassis so id like to get a battery that already fits it. After some research it looks like the Duracell and Napa Legend AGM batteries are made by the same company (Deka/East Penn) and are made in the USA. They are a very similar size to the Odyssey that i hope it fits. I ordered the Napa since they are a local small business and have always done me right. It was a little more than the Duracell but after having to buy a Sams membership, it was pretty much a wash. Should have it this afternoon to see if it fits. Fangers crossed.
Keep me posted, I'll eventually need a battery.

Went with the napa legend agm. Truck fired right up. Starter still sounds funny. May need a new one.
https://youtu.be/SYdtBulQpoQ

Getting closer to driving this thing after the work completed this weekend:
1. Gas pedal mounted to the doghouse. Used the stock pedal and swing and made a bracket.

2. Brakes are mounted. Got lucky that the wilwood residual valves and the brake lines run nicely through the fittings on the orbital. Braided SS lines are ran to all 4 corners. Just need to bleed them.

3. Wiring is 98% complete. Need to wire in the brake/tail lights once i have them mounted. The wires are ran to the back. Once i get my new light bar i'll wire that in as well. Looking for a ~40" single row to mount under the top lip of the cab. Rock lights from All4Offroad are on their way. Fixed a bad injector plug that cleared the CEL. Now its running on all 8 again. I have a little bit of cleanup to do but its pretty much done.

4. I thinking about mounting a set of these all4offroad toyota branded rock lights on the front fenders. They are bright as ****. Ordered a set of 4 white ones to use on the underside.

5. Center console complete. Waiting on a RAM mount to come in to mount a table. Cup holders, USB power outlets, shifters are all in.

The to do list is getting shorter. Need to weld in mounts for the crotch belts, then i can get the seats and belts in. Once i bleed the brakes i can do a nut and bolt check and do a test drive. Then I can start on the finishing touches (bedsides, doors, paint, etc) Less than 3 weeks until its maiden voyage at the Jambo.