• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The does and donts in the trail systems

Brian H

Here is a thread for people to speak there mind about the damages in the trail systems and what might happen here in the near future.For others lets hear what your thoughts are on trail damage and the possiblity of trails being closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
bypasses... i think we should have SOME like in the naches and other areas on SOME trails for those that are new to the sport to enjoy the trails in the manner that they were supposed to be enjoyed, without destroying their rig in the process....:stirpot: btw, i feel (IF USED PROPERLY!) this would cut down on a LOT of trail damage and reduce the probabitlity of trails being closed. BUT it can only reduce trail damage if those who use the trail, from newbies to buggies.....(yes, you too destroy stuff:flipoff:, it's not just the stock rigs doing it, trust me i've seen it on more than enough occasions :flipoff:, but it's usually those that ruin it for everyone else anyways ) ...USE IT PROPERLY!

so there, that is part of my opinion, and it needs to be taken as just that. whether it be right or wrong that's how i feel. (mind you i'm probably leaving out important little details to my theory, because i can talk about it better than i can type, so please keep that in mind.

Thanks, your pal,

Boonie:kissmyass: :redneck:

If you see someone doing something stupid, ask them nicely to stop. If they don't stop, hit them in the head with a shovel and bury them in a hole dug with the same shovel.

OldGreen said:
If you see someone doing something stupid, ask them nicely to stop. If they don't stop, hit them in the head with a shovel and bury them in a hole dug with the same shovel.
Why not bury them in the holes they dug with their own tires? Dead bodies make great traction material... :DOH:

Im not sure this is the right thread/forum for this, but what effect will the new "Wild Sky" wilderness designation have on the Reiter area? What trails will be closed, if any? Will that stupid designation prevent Reiter from becoming an ORV park? Etc etc etc.

Tom

I agree with boonie, I think bypasses could cut down on trail damage but they can't be built everywhere so I think better signage and gatekeepers would help also. The problem with all of this stuff is getting the volunteers to go out and do it and getting the money for supplies.

Maybe we could get some flyers printed up to hand out to non participants during work parties/cleanups/funruns with some general rules and comments.

These trails are maintained by volunteer users like you. Without these volunteers these trails would not exist. Please follow some simple rules to help us all keep the trails open.

-Stay on the trail
-Don't use bypasses that are not signed legal
-Use tree saver straps when winching
-Pick up any garbage on the trail (including broken vehicle parts)
-Do not damage trees
-Avoid digging holes with your tires
-(whatever else needed inserted here)

Remember if you leave no mark that you have been on the trail then we will all have a trail that will last longer and help ensure a place to play

Brian H said:
Here is a thread for people to speak there mind about the damages in the trail systems and what might happen here in the near future.For others lets hear what your thoughts are on trail damage and the possiblity of trails being closed.

I'll Speak My mInd...
---------------------

Trail Systems need to be Re-Defined, Re-Thought out & Planned.
That clearly states who & what type of vehicle is ALLOWED on the Trail.
ATV's are a 4WD Trail Systems Enemy. they do more damage & cause more problems for the 4WD Trail upkeep than the actual 4WD's do.

Elbe - BusyWild - is a PRIME example of the damage caused by ATV's.

they do not follow the trail, they run in packs... (2 or more) average 5+
they continue to use any & every trail out there, bike, 4wd, horse, etc.
like Elbe, they can't or won't go thru the MUD *(Deep Mud) so they simply go around. 1 & then 2,3,4,5,6,7 etc...

I think EVERY Trail system needs enforcement & regulations & fines for those who get caught abusing the rules / requirements.

as for 4WD Trails, & the 4WD Rig's that use them, I think many will agree it's solely up to a Driver to Limit his/her abuse of the trail, regardless or tire size or horsepower. it still comes back down to driver. but we do need some sort of Trail Regulations on specific Rig's, & NOT recommendations either.

Actual - Rules & Requirements per Trail.

-----------------------------------

Then we could have a 4wd Only trail, Nothing else but a 4WD Rig. and make those trails based on Rig's... Not difficuties like the past. examples;

31inch & under tires allowed only or get caught & pay a FINE.
31inch upto 36inch -
36inch & up -

& get some sort of Standard throughout OUR Trail System. so we keep to it & follow it. make the trails clearly posted & rules for them to be followed. but at the very least, make the 4WD trails for JUST the 4WD Rig's. not bikes or atv's or horses / etc...

Last edited:
Boonie Buster said:
bypasses... i think we should have SOME like in the naches and other areas on SOME trails for those that are new to the sport to enjoy the trails in the manner that they were supposed to be enjoyed, without destroying their rig in the process....:stirpot: btw, i feel (IF USED PROPERLY!) this would cut down on a LOT of trail damage and reduce the probabitlity of trails being closed.

If people would just build the rig accordingly 1st, they wouldn't get into a trail & get stuck. they could winch thru at the very least. too many do not understand until they are deep into the trail & stuck. and don't want to get out to pull cable or have cable to pull. thats PART of over coming a obstacle. not going around it. *(unless there is a GO-AROUND) making new one's is wrong & shows that they shouldn't be out on THAT trail. find a alley.

We need to get trails & users INFORMED, in todays world... the state or us the users could take advantage of our tech, & post videos up of every trail system or have a site that is linked to every known Offroad site w/ INFO - pertaining to each & every trail we have thats legal to wheel.

rather than a suggestion or write up, show the actual trail & what is REQUIRED to start & finish it. meaning, your ass might have to get out and pull cable / etc!

Last edited:
ZukPirate said:
If people would just build the rig accordingly 1st, they wouldn't get into a trail & get stuck.

hERE is the #1 problem--the sport is growing so fast alot of poeple are not getting any education before they hit the trail for the VERY FIRST time.

I know some might hate me for this, but an ATV/ORV sticker that you purchase annually (like oregon has) would be something that I'd be willing to participate in.

Something OTHER than the "forest pass" that you use on Evans..

Have the funds collected go towards building and maintaining official 4wd parks. And like has been said before, specify which vehicles can use which trails.. have them plainly marked according to vehicle and difficulty ratings (Tillamook state forest)..

I know that means rangers or such patrolling and imposing fines, but then those fines could also make their way back to actually maintaining the trails/land.

Maybe i'm un-educated as to why this kind of system hasn't been thouroghly implimented here in WA state.. but I thought Oregon's idea was pretty good.

The forest pass idea is ok too.. it's just that it doesn't seem universally implimented across all ORV areas in WA state.

Well pokey has made alot of good points in the threads that have unnecessary pics of rig driving where they shouldnt be. If you do take a pic of something you know you shouldnt be doing do not post it on here or any other board.

I would have to agree with you JeepFreak but even with people having to buy forest passes to go run up at evans creek where is it that you have seen that money go towards. I mean the road heading up is in horibble shape and nothing has been done about it with the money that has been made from those passes people by each time or by yearly. And the 4wd world is growing very rapidly, you get alot of new people that havent ever wheeled before that go up and just think that if they can't make it give it hell till they do. In most cases that isn't what wheelin is all about, its not the safest way to do things and it is more destructive to our great trails in the NW here. Unless there are signs posted clearly at trails specifing what can make it through then this is going to keep happening and eventually it may end up ruining the whole 4wd scene.

BYPASSES SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED If you have to bypass obsticals then you should not be on that trail! Also for people that are saying the rigs that have large tires are the ones that are ruining the trails are way off its the little guys that have to spin the **** out of them to make past a point and then end up getting stuck or trying to take a bypass.

i think that people should not "bog" on trails and that trails are for more crawling type wheelin its not about speed so when someones bein a **** tell teach them to wheel dont spout off where they wont hear it

Brian H said:
Well pokey has made alot of good points in the threads that have unnecessary pics of rig driving where they shouldnt be. If you do take a pic of something you know you shouldnt be doing do not post it on here or any other board.

Agreed.

But it just seems like every single pic that gets posted these days has the dogs released on it without explanation... I just hate alienating people right off the bat without allowing them to learn why they're the target of controversy.

lilyota said:
BYPASSES SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED If you have to bypass obsticals then you should not be on that trail! Also for people that are saying the rigs that have large tires are the ones that are ruining the trails are way off its the little guys that have to spin the **** out of them to make past a point and then end up getting stuck or trying to take a bypass.

BULLshit!!!!! what you said about the little guys making the holes is totally wrong. if that's the case then how does a 30" tire make a 44" hole/rut??? especially in places a 30" tire couldn't even get to in the FIRST place:mad: those with lead feet create holes, those with no neck and a beer in their hand create holes, jackasses showing off create holes. i think you're generalizing this too much by saying that the "guys with the small tires" tear it up, sure they sometimes have to use more wheel spin, but so do guys with 35-7s and no lockers, no difference... not everyone with small tires is tearing up the land. I think when i say there needs to be a bypass on SOME stuff it gets taken out of context, and its hard to explain on the inerweb:redneck: . I'm not talking about Every trail and Every hard spot, i'm talking about like a 4' drop/climb that maybe not everyone wants to attempt, or a nasty sidehill or something. there aer major difference in trail systems between naches and reiter. and bypasses are not always the answer. i do feel that some trails need to not have any at all. these trails need to have the newbs kept off them. you don't see me taking my truck up BYS trying to make bypasses to make it easier so i can make it through, why because it's a tough trail. I'm not ready for it in the rig i have, so i STAY OFF THE TRAIL!:redneck: unfortunately some people think they need to go on a trail and then realize hey i can't do this, lets make a bypass so i can. as opposed to going on a trail is more suited for their rig, and maybe if there's a really hard spot, they go around, on a pre-approved bypass, on a trail that has been designated with a bypass or two to get the new driver some experience without having to do all the tough stuff on the first day...

i must add though that i do agree with the fact that if you have to take bypasses then you prolly shouldnt be on the trail, there are plenty other trails to be on. but i do feel that on some trails there should be so people can enjoy the veiw or sights and the end. i know, now i;m contradicting myself, oh well.

Last edited: