• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Gremlin - Toyota beater truggy build

Re: Re: Re: The Gremlin - Toyota beater truggy build

GatorsNum1 said:
I know a guy that sells hydro kits for 385$ for single ended ram

Sent from my Bologna Sammich

Ok? I know the same guy I bet...

I wouldn't exactly call it a kit either.

midnight_f150 said:
Looks like a super fun project/rig to beat on.
Thanks
Hopefully it'll be the best performing Toyota I've built. It was supposed to be a cheap quick sas so I'd have a rig to hold me over while I built up my "real"buggy... It pretty much spiraled completely out of control and ended up a full build :****:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Gremlin - Toyota beater truggy build

TBItoy said:
.. It pretty much spiraled completely out of control and ended up a full build :****:
don't they all?

Re: Re: The Gremlin - Toyota beater truggy build

Got a few more details taken care of.

Battery mounted, blue sea 500A switch for a junction block and main power kill

IMG_20130925_084233_077_zpsb576ab8b.jpg

IMG_20130925_084217_043_zps590a051e.jpg

Jeep cherokee tc pump mounted, don't know why no one ever uses the factory attached reservoir. Gotta get a pulley

IMG_20130925_084117_908_zpsea4d90cf.jpg

IMG_20130925_084150_343_zpsefeb8f60.jpg

Mounted the filler neck too
IMG_20130925_084244_116_zps3dcee86e.jpg

Re: Re: The Gremlin - Toyota beater truggy build

I always hated the stock reservoir. They leaked like crazy on my last two jeeps. I ended up finding a little bit fatter o ring at ace hardware. Seemed to hold up ok. Didn't leak when I sold it.

Great write up man! I kinda hated to see the old '84 beater get taken apart though. That truck was a true sleeper. :driving:

bluetoy said:
Great write up man! I kinda hated to see the old '84 beater get taken apart though. That truck was a true sleeper. :driving:

Thanks, it was fun to watch for sure, but hell to ride in! laughing1 It always showed out at Golden Mtn, walking up big rocks and stupid lines with 2 tires in the air.

I'm starting to think that the 39" Krawlers might not be a good idea on Toyota axles. Thinking about trading for 37s...

Since you've done SAS on so many IFS Toyota's over the years, while in the garage go ahead and cut me some links for the front of my 95 pickup while you are at it... :****:

Really like this buildup. Won't be the same not seeing this jump utility poles at the Wilson County fair though.

ridered3 said:
Since you've done SAS on so many IFS Toyota's over the years, while in the garage go ahead and cut me some links for the front of my 95 pickup while you are at it... :****:

Really like this buildup. Won't be the same not seeing this jump utility poles at the Wilson County fair though.

I can do it. The link setup on the ol 4runner was much easier than this one, and the axle wasn't moved as far forward. It still had a steering box and was a good DD.

I'd say the gremlin will still see some airtime, just not power pole crashing!

TBItoy said:
I'm starting to think that the 39" Krawlers might not be a good idea on Toyota axles. Thinking about trading for 37s...

Ain't nuttin wrong with 39's and yota axles! :flipoff1: my little ole rearend has held up surprisingly well, thus far.

Unless you plan on wheeling like Ricky Bobby molaugh

Prolly be worth doing the bigger bolt mod / adding dowels or whatever on the rear fj80 axle like Wizzo did (of course you know more about this **** than I do lol). But about everything I found fj80 related on the interwebz shearing studs off, was the rear axle. Wasn't much literature at all on the front knuckle studs like my recent situation.

TacomaJD said:
Ain't nuttin wrong with 39's and yota axles! :flipoff1: my little ole rearend has held up surprisingly well, thus far.

Unless you plan on wheeling like Ricky Bobby molaugh

Prolly be worth doing the bigger bolt mod / adding dowels or whatever on the rear fj80 axle like Wizzo did (of course you know more about this **** than I do lol). But about everything I found fj80 related on the interwebz shearing studs off, was the rear axle. Wasn't much literature at all on the front knuckle studs like my recent situation.

I traded the 39s for some 37 Treps. I'm gonna stick to the regular 8" for now so I can get to wheel some this year. There is a very good possibility that I'll be wheelin it somewhere the 12th of Oct (probably GMP or AOP).

I was going to build a "hybrid" rear axle with mini-truck shafts/housing ends and the LC 9.5" center section anyway, so no worry about bolts/studs etc. I'll still build the hybrid when I bust some ring gears.

When I saw your truck climbing that snowy shitty creekbed at Hale, and BJ and Mongo were stuck at the middle beating their rigs with their TSLs, I became a true believer in stickies.

I do drive like a 'tard though. Rev limiter clutch drops in 2nd-3rd gear were pretty normal in the ol Runner.

TBItoy said:
I traded the 39s for some 37 Treps. I'm gonna stick to the regular 8" for now so I can get to wheel some this year. There is a very good possibility that I'll be wheelin it somewhere the 12th of Oct (probably GMP or AOP).

I was going to build a "hybrid" rear axle with mini-truck shafts/housing ends and the LC 9.5" center section anyway, so no worry about bolts/studs etc. I'll still build the hybrid when I bust some ring gears.

When I saw your truck climbing that snowy shitty creekbed at Hale, and BJ and Mongo were stuck at the middle beating their rigs with their TSLs, I became a true believer in stickies.

I do drive like a 'tard though. Rev limiter clutch drops in 2nd-3rd gear were pretty normal in the ol Runner.

Man stickies are where it's at! I had to learn how to drive all over again going from the Taco with stock t case and TSL's to dual cases and stickies.

I've honestly been amazed that I haven't broken any axle parts yet. If I can't make it up something, I do clutch drops too....however, they are usally 2nd / 3rd and sometimes even 4th gear but in double low. Jamie said my rearend has one chromoly shaft and one stock shaft in it. Said he broke one chromoly shaft and replaced it with the stocker. If I ever expected anything to break it was hopping up the Ledge of Faith at Auburn 5 or 6 times in a row in 5th gear / double low. It would bounce and hop so hard and I kept it to the floor and it held up. Now that I have bragged on it enough, I will probably tear it all to hell next weekend. :****:

But with the stickies, you seriously won't have to clutch drop near as much to get up stuff. Only reason I had to clutch drop at Morris Mtn last weekend was my front tires were over the front of a huge rock and they were only on dirt, no rock for grip. So I had to bump it pretty hard to get over it.

Get that sumbitch together, hollar at me and we'll do some wheeling! :drinkers: