• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Gremlin - Toyota beater truggy build

Re: Re: Re: The Gremlin - Toyota beater truggy build

TBItoy said:
I can do it. The link setup on the ol 4runner was much easier than this one, and the axle wasn't moved as far forward. It still had a steering box and was a good DD.

I'd say the gremlin will still see some airtime, just not power pole crashing!

Good deal. May him ya up on doing the SAS on mine in a few months if I decide to keep it.

We've been beating the **** out of bug-e j's old buggy with some 39 stickies for the last 3 years. Haven't had a wimper out of the Toyota axles yet. I've been amazed at how well they've held up. I contemplated dropping to 37's originally, haven't regretted it once.

Settled on a wheel/tire combo, 37 Treps and TG Creeper Locks, also mostly finished up the front tube work, got to add a tube for the fairlead and finish weld some places

Got the TG pulley on the Jeep pump and started working on hydro lines

Thought I'd get some more done this weekend, but had to rebuild the brakes/bearings on both sides of the rear of my Tacoma...

BUT, I got a new job so I won't be on the road all week, LOTS more shop time in my future, and I'll actually be able to enjoy my weekends again.

Neal3000 said:
your pulling out of Lubrication Engineering?

Yeah I've been sliding by as a southern region lubrication engineer for JAX for 3.5 years now, time to try my hand at something else

TBItoy said:
Yeah I've been sliding by as a southern region lubrication engineer for JAX for 3.5 years now, time to try my hand at something else

Selling weiner on the sidewalk at night outside of gay bars? :flipoff1:

Ok well since I've been able to be home pretty much every night for a couple weeks, I have the gremlin going.

Got it sitting on its own weight, I think the regulator gauge might be messed up on my N2, because it took 450 PSI at full extension to get 5" of ride height... :dunno:

Anyway, I decided to not link the rear end right away. I'm tired of working on it and ready to do some riding.

I need to put a U-bolt flip on the rear, and pull the add-a-leaf to get the back end down where it needs to be.

Re:

I'd say gauge is a little off, 450 sounds like crazy psi for such a light rig lol

Looks good though, you gonna have it ready by RBD?

Re:

TacomaJD said:
I'd say gauge is a little off, 450 sounds like crazy psi for such a light rig lol

Looks good though, you gonna have it ready by RBD?

yeah, not that the actual pressure number matters much, but I'll probably get another gauge to stick on it and see.

I'm planning to do a shake down this weekend at Golden Mtn, got to add some lights and such, but yeah, I'll have it at RBD

Rokcrler said:
Rig looks tits!

Thanks, I'll put that axle housing to use eventually.

Here's a few more pics and different things I finished up or am working on,

crossmember/skid plate frame- 1.5"x 3/16" square tube, getting "skinned" in with 1/4" and 3/16" for a belly pan. When I link it I'll add a pan to tie it to the link crossmember too.
and sch40 pipe cv driveshaft. rear matches

winch, fairlead, overflow (pop riveted a hose clamp to the core support)

hydro lines, added a carb return spring to keep the curl in them when the suspension compresses to keep them from getting up in the fan and crank pulleys

8 ball and silver glitter Peterbuilt shift knobs. pimpin aint easy molaugh

Mongo44 said:
No cooler mount :gay:
That's what the passenger side "seat" is for. Plenty of room for a cooler and lighter than a passenger :****:

Rokcrler said:
That's what the passenger side "seat" is for. Plenty of room for a cooler and lighter than a passenger :****:

it probably means that my bucket is the official beer wagon... :drinkers: