• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"The mistress"

rockmike

Been a long time coming,I finally got back on my samurai buggy project.I spent all day out in the shop finallizing my transmission to t-case adapter.So I can work on getting the the motor/trans/t-case mounted in the frame.

The specs:

Samurai body tub(to be pinned in the front and dove tailed in the back)

Samurai frame(reinforced)

2.3l pinto motor

bronco2 transmission(cause it was the shortest I could find and has 3.95:1 first gear)

samurai t-case with 6.5:1 gears/twin stick.

toy axles

scout steering box

swayaway air shocks

38" swampers

4-link front& back (with some help from you folks)

105"wheelbase

Now on to the start:

The trans was married to t-case in the bronco 2.So I have to build a back plate with bearings and seals,so I can use my devorsed zuke caes.First of all I had to build a doohicky to hold my adapter piece on the rotory table.
t-casebucket185.jpg

It fits like this
t-casebucket190.jpg

The first piece of the adapter looks like this,this piece bolts to the trans and holds 1 bearing and 1 seal.
t-casebucket187.jpg

Here is the other side machine index into it to,so the second piece is pecisely located on it.
t-casebucket186.jpg

This is the second adapter piece,it holds 1 bearing and 2 seals(i dont want any leaks)
t-casebucket188.jpg

The adapter will bolt to this.
t-casebucket192.jpg

Center drilled and ready for the through holes.
t-casebucket195.jpg

Clamped down and ready for the transfer punch.
t-casebucket196.jpg

Thansfered/drilled and tapped.
t-casebucket198.jpg

This is the stub shaft I built out of a drivshaft yoke for a Ranger pu with auto trans.It had the right spline for my trans.Juist get to weld the 2 together.
t-casebucket197.jpg

Now I just got to get my 3/8 allen head bolts so I know what size to counter bore piece and how deep.Then I have the adapter all built.

Hope you enjoy the pics,**** was a ton of work.Im not a machinist just tired of waiting on and bothering my machinist friend with all my off the wall you cant buy this **** wants.LOL. So i bought a used lathe and new mill and some othere stuff.And dove in head first hehe.Im so stoked that all this **** actually fit together ,didnt scrap a piece.

More pics and progress to come.

This sounds like quite the project:awesomework: , and you get to buy cool tools to do it!!!!:redneck: Pics of the rig???

Great looking work, but why are you going through all the trouble? With your wheelbase, you should be able to fit the 2.3, 2wd TK4 (3.96:1 1st), and sami case with about a 36" rear driveline.

OR, leave the BW case on the trans, and double case it, and you'd still have plenty of driveshaft, AND 200+ final crawl.

:corn:

Great looking work, but why are you going through all the trouble? With your wheelbase, you should be able to fit the 2.3, 2wd TK4 (3.96:1 1st), and sami case with about a 36" rear driveline. :corn:

True,cause this motor and trans was setup in the other rig,with only a 89" wheelbase.It kept my rear driveline barley long enough with the compound angle of toy rearend(center diff) and the zuke case(passenger offset).I crashed the rig bad and needed to rebuild it and want a buggy type rig now.The other adapter i made before was pretty cagin and leaked alot.So its what I already have,so ill use it.Its a great tranny close ratio gears and heavy duty.This trans was not offered in a 4cylinder application,I built a custom bell housing to adapt it to the 2.3l.

Excellant question,thanks.

This sounds like quite the project:awesomework: , and you get to buy cool tools to do it!!!!:redneck: Pics of the rig???

Thanks man,it really is a dream come true for me, ive wanted to get some machines like this for years.I finally can afford to do so.The black rig in the pic is the rig I wrecked that im rebuilding into the buggy thing.
postingpictures015.jpg

another.
2006BigZukonRock2.jpg

This trans was not offered in a 4cylinder application,I built a custom bell housing to adapt it to the 2.3l.

That would have to be a FM145 or 146, which would make your first gear 3.76:1. The TKs were the only trans with 3.96:1. And if you want bulletproof (or as close as you can get), get a m50D.

So you got anything done to the 2.3?

That would have to be a FM145 or 146, which would make your first gear 3.76:1. The TKs were the only trans with 3.96:1. And if you want bulletproof (or as close as you can get), get a m50D.

So you got anything done to the 2.3?

Honestly Fordzuki im not sure what trans it is,im really not much of a ford guy.I just looked through the wrecking lards looking for the shortest possible trans.This one seemed to be it.It came out of a 84 bronco 2 with v-6.It looks just like a t-5 to me.When I put it in 1st gear and turn the input shaft and count rotations,it comes out to just a sqeak under 4 rotations.So I guessed it at 3.95:1.

Ill shoot a pic of it tonight and post it up,so you can get a better look at it.Sounds like you know your ferd trannys better than I.

The 2.3l is a lil hopped up.I bored it .080 over cause the block was pretty bad.Its all I had,and was planning on runnin pane any way so I told the machine shop just clean her up,and well try it.Had them deck the block so all pistons come up perfectly.

I used a 2.0l head with the lil ports in an attempt to just make alot of bottom end power.Its got a h.p. cam in it,with an adjustable pulley to dial in my power band.Mustang headder.Home made impco propane system.s.s. valves.Head is shaved .045 strait and .045 at an angle (gives it rediculous trottle responce).Maths out 13.1 compression.

I have a ranger roller head,I just havnt desided if I want to go through it try it in this new rig,well see later.

The flywheel is a turbo 2.3l mustang (excepts the larger clutch that this bronco 2 trans has) so Im able to use a stock application bronco 2 clutch/throw out and pilot bearing.The clutch is a dual friction Center Force.

This trans had a hydraulic clutch,I rigged it up with a cable.That way I can just pack an extra cable and have that part of the rig covered for trail repare.

Sounds like you got a nasty little motor there. :cool:

The trans should be an FM trans, I don't think they ever put a mazda trans in a B2. If it is a Mitsubishi trans (the FMs), it should have a pan on the bottom. These are an alright trans, just make sure your trans mount is good, or you'll tear up the input shaft and bearing.

I'd like to see how you rigged up the clutch, sounds pretty interesting.

Youll have to waite on the clutch setup,the rig that it was all set up on is gone.Ill get that pic of the trans soon.Ive got a few other project going on along with this one.

Im heading up wheelin oct 18-19 to rimrock.So I figured id better get some p/s on my othere zuke.So I did this last night.
t-casebucket200.jpg

The sj only has 1 v-pulley for the crank.My p/s pump has a serp so I needed to add a serp pulley to the stock v pulley.This is how I did it.
First machined out the center on the serp pulley.Then I turned a flat spot on the stock pulley then I indexed the stock pulley so the serp can locate and run true.

Heres the v pulley indexed.
t-casebucket204.jpg

They fit perfectly.
t-casebucket205.jpg

A bit of mig welding and ive got a combination v/serp crank pulley.
t-casebucket206.jpg

Last edited:
Life happened,and I havent been able to get anything done on my zuke.Today I finally got caught up on stuff and had time to work on it.

First order of bussinessmis to get the motor mounted in the frame.I dropped the motor down 4" and moved it back 4" in this rig compared to the other rig this motor was mounted in.
t-casebucket283.jpg

My front axle will be so far in front of the motor I dont have clearance issues on this rig so I stuffed her in there nice and low and as far back as it will go.
t-casebucket284.jpg

Just had to do some minor firewall/doghouse work to make room for it.Ill weld in some stuff to fill the holes later.
t-casebucket286.jpg

Couldnt finish the motor mounts cause I ran out of wire for the mig :mad:
t-casebucket287.jpg

So I went to the mill to start makeing my tranny mount.
t-casebucket280.jpg

Lil zuke and soon to be BIG zuke hehe.
t-casebucket285.jpg

Last edited:
I finally found my pics of the old rig that I wrecked,I thought you all might enjoy the carnage.And give ya an idea of what I had and what happened and why I want a new zoook.Enjoy,yes it ****ed me up pretty good but im all healed up now.
SAMURAI005.jpg
not so bad eh?
SAMURAI004.jpg
getting worse.
SAMURAI003.jpg

SAMURAI002.jpg

The rig was trying to save itself from the upside down grill. :flipoff:

Hurry up and get it finished... I have never wheeled with you and we need to fix that. :D

The rig was trying to save itself from the upside down grill. :flipoff:

Hurry up and get it finished... I have never wheeled with you and we need to fix that. :D

Just shoot me a pm when you want to go wheel.Ive got my 84 sj410 Im wheelin till get this rig done.It will be a long waite for this rig to hit the trails.

The problem with this build will be the fact that i work 70 hours a week every week.It tuff to get out in the shop,im usually pretty tired when I get home,long ass days.:eeek:

progress

I cut down the motor mount bushings,I can always build some saddles/spacers to raise it up some later if need be.
t-casebucket291.jpg

Net I fabbed up some of the parts to make the transmission mount.For the tabs I had a set of old spring shackles just laying around.Seemed like the easiest way to go about it so I hacked them up and cleaned all the paint and stuff off them.
t-casebucket292.jpg

Yanked the body tub offf the frame now that i know I have clearance where i need it.One HotRod pinto motor,shes a mess I will be cleaning it all up as soon as im done with mockup,I was just to antsy to get started on this so I left it dirty for now.
t-casebucket293.jpg

t-casebucket294.jpg

tranny mount is done

This is what I came up with.Im going to have to use a 2-piece front driveline.So I left some clearance to bring a driveline through pretty straite.

I dont have a tubing bender in the shop yet so I had to hack a bend off the old cage and use it.Im likein it, so time to move on!!

t-casebucket303.jpg

t-casebucket305.jpg

t-casebucket302.jpg

One more t-case mount to build,design and build pillow block mount for the front shaft.:awesomework: