• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The rebuild of a rebuild

On a not so joyfull note, it looks like this motor is garbage. It has a little baby knock in it. Sounds like a rocker is hitting the valve cover, but that's not the case as I just had the covers off to adjust the valves yesterday and all looked good.

Put the stethoscope on it, you can hear the noise pretty good from the passenger side valve cover, sounds like it's originating from the front of the crank, but not from the crank itself (put the scope on the crank, and the noise wasn't anymore audible). Time to start tearing **** apart :booo::booo::booo:

On a not so joyfull note, it looks like this motor is garbage. It has a little baby knock in it. Sounds like a rocker is hitting the valve cover, but that's not the case as I just had the covers off to adjust the valves yesterday and all looked good.

Put the stethoscope on it, you can hear the noise pretty good from the passenger side valve cover, sounds like it's originating from the front of the crank, but not from the crank itself (put the scope on the crank, and the noise wasn't anymore audible). Time to start tearing **** apart :booo::booo::booo:

are ya gonna rebuild it?

It's toast. Pulled the bearings off the number two rod and it's all ready chewing itself up. This is a motor that I rebuilt a while back, but never put of lot of use into it. My old man went through it, honed the cylinders, polished the crank, and put new bearings in it to help me out while I had cancer. Some fawking help huh:rolleyes:. Now I have an expensive boat anchor that needs a new crank and bearings :rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::looser:

Looks like my web wheeling days are going to be significantly extended

are ya gonna rebuild it?

Eventually

Pulled the engine out today and tore it down. Doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to salvage the crank. Not sure what the dealio is but this thing just ATE some of the bearings. Front main on the crank is the worse, rear main being second worse. 7 and 8 rod bearings are the worse of the rod bearings. All the wrist pins, cam bearings, and cylinder walls look perfect, but the lower end just destroyed itself :eeek:

Anyone got a sbc bottom end kicking around for CHEAP? Something I can bolt my heads and acc. on and go

Pics of the damage. :eeek::eeek:

These two are of the front main

yeah021-1.jpg

yeah019.jpg

Rear main

yeah020.jpg

yeah023-1.jpg

7/8 rod bearings

yeah022-1.jpg

Seems to be a lower end oiling issue? Top end of the motor looks perfect, the bottom, not so much. Time for a deeper pan I think. Any other ideas? Maybe a windage tray/crank scraper? Maybe a stock motor

Nice dude!!! It feels good to be behind the wheel again huh? :awesomework:

Yes it does. Now you just need to quit snatchin up the good deals on 60's and winches and leave some for the slow guys :fawkdancesmiley:

Kickass man. I was gettiong sad going thru post's from october.

Well you can sleep better knowing it's back together :haha:

good to see it is back together. looks fun. where do u go play? we should go some time. let me know if your interested.

I'm gonna try and hit up Evans in the next couple weekends, maybe Elbe pretty soon :awesomework:

Have to ask: Is the oil filter orange? :mad:

Pics of the damage. :eeek::eeek:

These two are of the front main

yeah021-1.jpg

yeah019.jpg

Rear main

yeah020.jpg

yeah023-1.jpg

7/8 rod bearings

yeah022-1.jpg

Seems to be a lower end oiling issue? Top end of the motor looks perfect, the bottom, not so much. Time for a deeper pan I think. Any other ideas? Maybe a windage tray/crank scraper? Maybe a stock motor

The truck looks really good! :awesomework:

Thanks old man :awesomework:

Been pickin away at small stuff. Been workin on a rear bumper, made a spare tire mount, mounted the hi-lift and a couple small tool boxes. Should be picking up a winch on friday. Not really happy with the front springs, so I'll probably be throwing in some chevy springs I have laying around up front.

yeah036.jpg

yeah039.jpg

yeah042.jpg

Updates

New front spring hanger, new winch, new bumper, new front springs, new shackles mounts, blah blah. Still have a hoop, lights, and d-rings to add to the bumper.
yeah045.jpg

yeah051.jpg

yeah052-1.jpg

Rerouted the vent line and added a ball valve incase fuel starts spilling out while upside down
yeah049.jpg

yeah050.jpg

Some grooving to the tires to get them to dig
yeah047.jpg