• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Tow Rig

DavidsCJ7

Friday I was on my way home from work and the transmission broke in my new truck. This was a particularly bad time for it to happen because I was scheduled to leave today (Sunday) for Texas. The plan was to drive to Texas today. Work at my Houston office Monday and Tuesday, Then leave for Oklahoma to do a little wheelin.

Here is where things get a little interesting. Well, I often refer to my little, weekend run around, truck as "The Tow Rig". I may soon regret it but I refuse to borrow vehicles. I got the wild idea that just maybe my small truck could handle the load. I ran down to the parts store and bought a brake control box and a light plug. I got every thing hooked up, second guessing myself the whole time. Here is my thought process. My buggy is very light and I centered the load over the axles so the truck will only have to pull the rolling force of the load and not the weight. My camper also takes a little tongue weight off of the truck.

I got every thing hooked up and loaded and decided to take it out for a test run. First gear is a little tall in the truck so getting the train rolling is the first obstacle. After that, it pulled it fine. When I say fine I mean it took about 5 miles to get to 55 mph. The next scare was going to be stopping but that was not as big of an issue as I thought.

It wont be a quick trip and I will probably have an uneasy feeling the entire time but this was my only option if I wanted to go wheelin next weekend. I am loaded up and will be taking off in a couple of hours. Here is a pic of what the train looks like hooked to "The Tow Rig".

TowRig002.jpg

Thats funny. Your gonna be THAT GUY!! I think the buggy would do better pulling the truck on the trailer.

Man, I am speechless. You know you could come over and get mine on the way out of town. thumb.gif

I appreciate the offers but I would rather cancel the trip than borrow someone's truck. Thats just something I won't do.

Lou, something let loose in the transmission and they couldn't even look at it until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Have you ever been harrassed for pulling doubles like that? What states have you pulled that combo thru?

Whats it like pulling 2 trailers like that. I have a hard enough time with one let alone 2. Does the rear trailer not sway?

Cole said:
Whats it like pulling 2 trailers like that. I have a hard enough time with one let alone 2. Does the rear trailer not sway?

All I can think is you better not have to ever back up!! ;D

I have pulled it in AL, MS, AR, LA and have never been questioned about it.

Cole, Most of the time I don't even know it is back there. If I get on a real rough road it bounces around some.

Speeding said:
All I can think is you better not have to ever back up!! ;D

yeah, reverse is not your friend. If I need to backup I just unhook the camper and push it out of the way (its real light).

DavidsCJ7 said:
yeah, reverse is not your friend. If I need to backup I just unhook the camper and push it out of the way (its real light).
So I guess your brother in law either did not get the trailer or he brought it back.

Got a text message from David that said "This was not a good idea" laughing1

Talked to him and he said he was averaging about 40mph. Said when he would get on a hill it would drop down to about 20-25mph. He said the trailer was pretty much pushing him where it wanted too.

Latest posts