• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Walker valley zoo!

Binder

I went to Walker valley yesterday to do a little test driving- putting around.....That place is a zoo with people these days. We all knew this would probably happen with Reiter closed and we were right..If you don't get there very early in the morning good luck parking a tow rig, and forget about parking in the main parking lot.:rolleyes:
DNR had two work parties going to maintain a couple of trails which are deteriorating from over use and this point is being pushed by Bill Lighter (sp).
I have my doubts that Walker valley will last long enough to see Reiter open again legal or not.:booo:

Come in from the lake cavanaugh side and park. You can head out from there on the logging roads to the real wheelin.

It would help if people camping in the main lot didn't take up m ultiple spots to camp.....Doesn't matter for the trail use though.

I went to Walker valley yesterday to do a little test driving- putting around.....That place is a zoo with people these days. We all knew this would probably happen with Reiter closed and we were right..If you don't get there very early in the morning good luck parking a tow rig, and forget about parking in the main parking lot.:rolleyes:
DNR had two work parties going to maintain a couple of trails which are deteriorating from over use and this point is being pushed by Bill Lighter (sp).
I have my doubts that Walker valley will last long enough to see Reiter open again legal or not.:booo:

I was just down that way past Walker on highway 9, right at the little store by the lake (the lake south of Big Lake) in the twisty-turny section of highway (neat little community/area btw), and I saw no less than 12 rigs going by on trailers between 9 and 11 when i left....yeah, it has gotten way outta control, and wouldn't surprise me in the least as well...:booo:
did you get a chance to talk with Elyse?

I fail to see how use is bad? Overuse just shows 1 thing -- we need more trail mileage, and even Reiter won't solve that issue when it's opened. Our sport is growing, and growing fast...

I fail to see how use is bad? Overuse just shows 1 thing -- we need more trail mileage, and even Reiter won't solve that issue when it's opened. Our sport is growing, and growing fast...

Exactly.... so when everything else grows/frequented more then stuff progressively gets bigger in someway shape or form. Whether it be roads or highways to shopping centers and malls, everything gets affected and somehow is changed for more traveled parts. Why can't this be the same for orv areas? Is it because somehow "they" don't make a profit out of it or what? Im sure if it had something to do with them making some cash out of it then they would be on board but since its not they don't really care..... Can somebody that knows more about this ring in and tell me a little more. Are my thoughts even on the same level of what is going on?

It'll stop growing when everything gets closed

Exactly.... so when everything else grows/frequented more then stuff progressively gets bigger in someway shape or form. Whether it be roads or highways to shopping centers and malls, everything gets affected and somehow is changed for more traveled parts. Why can't this be the same for orv areas? Is it because somehow "they" don't make a profit out of it or what? Im sure if it had something to do with them making some cash out of it then they would be on board but since its not they don't really care..... Can somebody that knows more about this ring in and tell me a little more. Are my thoughts even on the same level of what is going on?

Pretty much, the just of it is, no funding. Now if this Recreation Pass thingy passes through, there will be a lot more funding flowing in the Recreation side of DNR.

Ok, yeah, i agree with this...
Pretty close, only the state doesn't profit from building/expanding roads... I'm sure DNR would love to turn a pfrofit from recreation. IF DNR recreation were a 'for profit' venture, there'd have been something like the pass a LONG time ago IMHO...

Pretty much, the just of it is, no funding. Now if this Recreation Pass thingy passes through, there will be a lot more funding flowing in the Recreation side of DNR.
Would hopefully help out for sure...

did you get a chance to talk with Elyse?

Yes briefely...She said we'll continue work on the Rons run project probably the last week of May or first week of June. She also said the Whidbey island crew wants to donate a excavator for the project.:011:

Pretty close, only the state doesn't profit from building/expanding roads... I'm sure DNR would love to turn a pfrofit from recreation. IF DNR recreation were a 'for profit' venture, there'd have been something like the pass a LONG time ago IMHO

I realize they don't profit from building the roads but I was trying to say they spend the money on the roads and what not for something that isn't theirs (stores/businesses) but do end up making money in the end from stores by permits, taxes, and whatever else.
So they spend some money but end up making more from it...... So they don't want to put money or effort into something they can't get a kick back on.

i see all the rigs heading that way..pretty much have to drive right in front of me to get there...
and yes we can notice the increased traffic,in all forms of orv users...just wish i had more projects done so my yota was back together...i personaly havent been to walker in a year... and am worried by the time im ready the only trails will be in my backyard....

Now if this Recreation Pass thingy passes through, there will be a lot more funding flowing in the Recreation side of DNR.

And not a penny of it specifically allocated to facilitate motorized recreation.

The Senate Ways and Means Committee is likely to act on PSSB5622 later this week.

Good seeing you up there Rick... where we parked no one else was there so that was nice. Lower Walker was a traffic jam but it gave us some time to eat lunch after seeing no one all day in upper Walker.

Yes briefely...She said we'll continue work on the Rons run project probably the last week of May or first week of June. She also said the Whidbey island crew wants to donate a excavator for the project.:011:

I'll be talking to Elyse tomorrow at the meeting....I heard the same thing about WIOR, only maybe 2 machines.... Also talked to Ron himself yesterday---he's in for running a machine!:awesomework:

I'll be talking to Elyse tomorrow at the meeting....I heard the same thing about WIOR, only maybe 2 machines.... Also talked to Ron himself yesterday---he's in for running a machine!:awesomework:

I'm in as long as it doesn't happen the weekend of June 11th. I'll be in Bend OR that weekend.