• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Thick or regular cut gears

shotmobile

Is there any draw backs or benifits to have a regular or thick cut gears? The only difference is that the thick cut is the base of gear is taller so it can fit the lower carrier. Is this correct?

shotmobile said:
Is there any draw backs or benifits to have a regular or thick cut gears? The only difference is that the thick cut is the base of gear is taller so it can fit the lower carrier. Is this correct?

correct :D

As it looks right now both the 14 bolt and the front HP 60 will have thick cut gears. Does using thick cut have any strength issues? Better or worse?

As best as I can tell from having both styles side by side the tooth depth is the same so the gear thickness is just taking up the difference that the different ratio carrier would give. Personally I prefer a thin cut gear---shorter bolts and you have to look at the fact that the tooth is father from the carrier(thick gear) which could give you more of a chance of any gear deflection.

Strength difference is negligible, even with the slightly increased stress on the ring gear bolts of a thick gear. It's still way less than using a spacer, because the carrier is a minor interference fit to help take stress off the bolts.

Or so I've heard from a gear guy.

I would avoid thicks for three reasons:

1) Less choice of ratios.
2) Harder to sell used gears if/when you change gears for whatever reason.
3) Even harder to sell a small ratio locker used.

CrustyJeep said:
I would avoid thicks for three reasons:

1) Less choice of ratios.
2) Harder to sell used gears if/when you change gears for whatever reason.
3) Even harder to sell a small ratio locker used.

You have D44 on the mind.

D60-reverse, 95% of the gears are thick cut, as are most 14-bolt FF 4.56 and up, and some D44 (Rubicon, and JK) 4.10 gears are all factory thick.

For a lot of people who bought their Detroit/ARB/Eaton for small ratio, thick is a good way to go without buying another locker.

Little Red Zuk said:
D60-reverse, 95% of the gears are thick cut, as are most 14-bolt FF 4.56 and up, and some D44 (Rubicon, and JK) 4.10 gears are all factory thick.

You are correct. Finding any ratio above 4.56 in a thin gear is much more difficult if not impossible. I've found several places that offered them, but they had none in stock and wern't exspecting any, any time soon. So I ended up going with the RD36 and a thick, reverse cut 5.38 gear for the front 60. I was just currious about any of the difference between the two.