• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Thicker Toyota Head Gasket

Co-Man-Che

I recently took a 22re to my local machine shop to get it fully machined before I rebuilt it. When I picked up the motor, the machinist said that he "highly recommends" buying a head gasket that was extra thick to compensate for the head and deck being milled. He said it would help with cam timing. I thought it wouldn't matter that much (I mean we're talking a couple hundredths of an inch). I would like to hear some other opinions, maybe from someone who has had their deck and head milled then used a stock head gasket? Did you have any problems?

Yes they make HGs that are thicker just for milled heads. I've used them with no issues but I couldn't tell you what would happen if you didn't.
Maybe trainwreck will chime in and tell you what he thinks. He the toyota engine man.

If you don't use one, cam to crank timing becomes an issue (as mentioned before), plus you get Increased compression/combustion temps equating to increased potential for detonation (pinging)=premature engine failure; use a thicker head gasket. You'll be much happier in the end...

Thanks for the responses guys, sounds like the concensus is that the thicker gasket is a good idea, so that's what I'll do. Are the torque specs any different than using a stock gasket?

Torque it per the manual....the added thickness is in the steel material of the gasket, not the fiberous material...:awesomework:

Also, do some searchin, because they do offer shims for the 22R/RE if you want to use the stock gasket instead of possibly waiting for the special gasket should something happen.

its like building s new engine and putting the old worn out timing chain on it.

The crank and cam centerline are now closer and it will make more slack in the chain making a new chain sloppy and let the cam timing be retarded.

If you have ever had an old 22re and put a new chain on it and said, "wow what a difference" then thats the amount of performance you will lose when its the other way around.

Latest posts