• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

This bender that bender?

RioYJ

i wanna go fast!
Ok fellas need some wisdom. I am in the market for an affordable manual tube bender ive looked at all of the jds and pro tools but all the reading in the world doesnt add up to first hand experience. which bender in everyones opninion "based on the ones ya own or have used" offers the best bang for the bucks? it will get used a good bit so ease of operation and quality is a factor. and also want the ability to add air over hydrolic later down the road, ive found around 6 diff benders that fit my description but want this thing for the long haul so whatcha got?

think i should take out a mortgage on this unit
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ot0Cxmk2aa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That Nissin is freakin insane!!!!

We've got a JD2 Model 4 bender with electric hydraulic and love it... I've used model 3 manual and also some pump-type conduit benders before. Couldnt be happier with the setup I've got with the Model 4.. I know that wasn't the info you asked for but that's the only one I've used enough to give first-hand feedback on :dblthumb:

I have a jd2 model 3 that I added electric over hydro too with a surplus center ram.. I like it and its greats for the guy workin in his garage and very user friendly... I had to the opportunity to bend some tube on a model 4 for a while and really liked it too... The 4 is more accurate and repeats itself better from what I could tell... It's a much sturdier bender... But again my model 3 gets the job done... One thing I noticed with my model 3 is it's hard to keep multiple bend hoops all in the same plane but once u learn the bender u can make up for it... Just my .02 hope it helps :dunno:

you can make a good bender for pretty cheap, I love my bender it cost me 500 bucks to build including the air/hydro ram, my first one only cost me 300 to make and was a vert bender, it worked really good also but i defiantly like my current setup.

Humpy said:
One thing I noticed with my model 3 is it's hard to keep multiple bend hoops all in the same plane but once u learn the bender u can make up for it... Just my .02 hope it helps :dunno:

This might help ya out... To keep multiple bends in the same plane I use this bracket:
http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_49&products_id=739&zenid=39e86ab25299ea536f96b24ded3d004e

and this digital angle finder:
http://www.vansantent.com/angle_finders_levels/Wixey_Digital_Angle_Gauge.htm

I've been using my JD2 model 3 for 3-4 years. I have no complaints. It's a pretty plain jane manual bender, but it gets the job done.

I have a JD2 model 32 with the hydro kit. I would recommend going with the model 32, since if you bend much tube you will want to go full hydro and bend some thick stuff sooner or later. Everything is much more beef on the 32, from the bender to the dies. Got my accessories from Trick Tools and the bender and dies direct from JD2 since the shipping was cheaper. 2C
Barton

Thanks for the. wise words guys I've looked at the pro tools and the jd and I'm torn and yes I do plan on bending some .25 wallfor a couple future projects but I'm going to keep reading up before I make a decision

RioYJ said:
think i should take out a mortgage on this unit
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ot0Cxmk2aa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just came on my self a little bit.

MUCHADO said:

I have a very similar setup just a home brew version (I own a machine shop I'm cheap and make a lot of stuff I should prob buy lol) my prob I get it exactly on the mark with pob and angle finder and once it's bent it's a couple degrees out of plane... Almost like my bender is rotating the tube as it bends it :****: ... I have tried a **** load of diff things to try and figure out why and all I can come up with is I think my bender/stand is not stout enough to work on a 14' long piece that I'm puttin 10-15 bends in to follow the lines of a cab on an Exo... Maybe someone else would have some
ideas?

Humpy said:
I have a very similar setup just a home brew version (I own a machine shop I'm cheap and make a lot of stuff I should prob buy lol) my prob I get it exactly on the mark with pob and angle finder and once it's bent it's a couple degrees out of plane... Almost like my bender is rotating the tube as it bends it :****: ... I have tried a **** load of diff things to try and figure out why and all I can come up with is I think my bender/stand is not stout enough to work on a 14' long piece that I'm puttin 10-15 bends in to follow the lines of a cab on an Exo... Maybe someone else would have some
ideas?

Max I’ve done is 6 bends in 1 plane, prefer 4 on a B pillar hoop… So you gotta figure if you’re within .2 degrees on each bend and you do 15 bends in 1 planeâ€"you could be as much as 3 degrees off throughout the span of your tubing… that’s if you’re only off by .2 of 1 degree…. To me .2 is pretty damn good. Bender may play a factor but every next bend you do even if it’s only .1 or .2 degrees off that high # of bends is multiplies how “off” you are… at least that’s my thinking.

I went to a vertical bender to cure this, also go to sears and get a digital angle finder, zero it out on the die then put a little pressure on the tubing and move it around to square it to the die. After I get it started bending I set the angle finder back on the unbent tubing and rezero it. Then just put it back on the bent section and bend it on up. You will have to figure out your overbend for what your material is tho. Standard angle finders and levels just aren't close enough to get any real repeatability.

RobbyBobby said:
Trees, the best bygawd bender is a good strong oak tree. it's cheap and theres a neverfawkinendin variedy of radiuses out there :dblthumb:

What no flag or telephone poles for tight bends? :flipoff1:

Probender for an inexpensive vertical hydraulic bender. I have the ProBender Pro4 LE with air over hydralic. They use ProTools dies or JD2 depending on the model.

http://www.probender.com/

How about a torch and a wheelbarrow rim!? The protools is awfuly inviting but it seems the jd2 model 3 seems to be the hot ticket.