• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Timing and TDC

mudhoney

OK i screwed up. While replacing the timing chain i did not mark distributor and slightly turned the cam sprocket. I did some home work but nothing seems to be in plain english. How should the cam sprocket and crank sprocket line up in reference to the distributor on a 22re i do understand TDC.:mad:

Last edited:
Bright links on the chain line up with the dots on the sprockets. Get the motor to the firing stroke and stab the dist in so that it ends up around cylinder 1 on the cap. Trial and error from there, even if it won't start cranking it while watching with a timing light will tell you which way it needs to go. There's no need to mark anything on disassembly, the timing won't be in exactly the same position anyways with the new chain.

The new chain should have been marked very clearly by silver links. The old one would be hard to tell, oil cooks onto it and makes it hard to find the bright links.

laymans' terms or aftermarket chain set:
when the crank pulley is on TDC #1 cylinder, the cam gear mark shold be just to the left of the mark on the rocker shaft, when looking at the enigne front of the truck.

Old school way: #4 intake and exhaust valves 1/2 way through their overlap (rotate either way and one or the other opens/closes) with #1 (and #4) piston at TDC, rotor facing #1 cyl and it'll fire up!

Latest posts