• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tin Top Buggy

Rjhoward32006 said:
I highly encourage that move, I absolutely love my a340 and chain drive case. I thought they would break easily and I have purposely tried to break them. So far they have survived a good 40-50 5k neutral bombs. Bad thing is that you can't get lower t-case gearing in the chain drive

Good to know. I'm still using the D300, not sure if I'm going to put the 4:1 gears in it.

I bought a rad designs winters shifter with the shift control built in. Anyone have an idea of what stall # I should get my converter in, or if I should worry about a converter lock up switch? First time for a buggy with an auto so I don't know what to expect.

Where you getting a converter? IMO, ~2500K real world stall would be about perfect. My OEM converter stalls out at ~15-1600, it's definitely too low.

Don't worry about the lockup. Unless you end up on the highway for long periods, you'll never need or want it.

jethrobodean said:
Where you getting a converter? IMO, ~2500K real world stall would be about perfect. My OEM converter stalls out at ~15-1600, it's definitely too low.

Don't worry about the lockup. Unless you end up on the highway for long periods, you'll never need or want it.

Don't know yet, I haven't looked into them since I didn't know what stall to get. Thanks for the advice though, I can't wait to try this thing out.

Let me know what you find. I couldn't find a good source for a non-OEM converter that wasn't close to $1K for the AW4. It is honestly about the only complaint I've got in my setup these days, other than I'm just tired of looking at it. laughing1

I've been trying like hell to find a way to get my overdrive/ lockup to work. I can run (guestimate) 45 in low range and want a little more. stock lockup works perfect for me.

Rjhoward32006 said:
I've been trying like hell to find a way to get my overdrive/ lockup to work. I can run (guestimate) 45 in low range and want a little more. stock lockup works perfect for me.

Can you just wire up a lockup switch ?

I had the 700r4 lockup wired through the clutch pedal switch on my old truggy

Awake, & came across ur build thread. U've gotta Awesome build, w/that Tin-Top Sami! Alotta envy here!
I've bn on a "parts-gatherin" binge on a Tin-Top Tracker, over the last few yrs. I've got the "Big-Ticket" items bought & collecting surface rust.
I've got a good Buddy, w/the experience, the expertise, & the motivational skills to match! It always seems 2b a "time vs $" thing, on my end? But, cn ur build, is addin some more motivation my direction, w/the true vision of what these rigs really could be.
Thx! & I'll try & keep an on-goin eye on ur build! Good Luck w/the rest of it, & Anxious to c the outcome of it!

TBItoy said:
Can you just wire up a lockup switch ?

I had the 700r4 lockup wired through the clutch pedal switch on my old truggy

I probably could if I can figure out which wires to use. I tried unplugging the 4wd sensor and that didn't work. must be through the speed sensor. tried unplugging the tcu and it will still shift manually but the converter stays locked up all the time, tried a couple other individual plugs going to the trans with no prevail. I just need to find a wiring diagram for the trans

You talking an AW4/A340? TC lockup should be in same plug as the shift solenoids.

Colors look something like this (IIRC, mine was wht/blk instead of blk/wht, so might be some slight variations):

2117d1237514829t-transmission-aw4-switch-box.jpg

Yes a340f wire colors are different and there are so many variations in them over the years that its hard to pin down exactly which one it has. I found a wiring diagram similar to yours that should have the correct colors that I am going to try. thanks for the help

Thinking of starting over in the chassis. Not happy with how it's turning out using the stock frame. The Bent Fab grunt mini chassis is looking pretty appealing at this point.

smbroady82 said:
I always loved the Bent Fab chassis

that rzr killer they did was awesome

Ya that buggy was sweet! Shoulda built my own frame from scratch to start with. Live and learn I quess.