• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tin Top Buggy

Mooretoyx4

Figured I'd post this over here as well. I'll need all the advice I can get once I start the links.

Here is the start of my tin top buggy. Progress will be a bit slow since I'm trying to take my time and do things right. This will be my first linked rig and I can't wait to try it out.

Specs:

3rz
W56
Toy/dana300
Custom fj60 front
Fj80 FF rear
14" ORI's
39.5 iroks

On my way home with the tub

Jethrobodean built the fron 63" wms-wms housing for me.

Cutting the brackets off the rear.

Assembling the cases

Got everything mated and test fit in the cab. Need to do a little trimming to the floor.

Here is an idea of the overall look.

Got a set of the new Front range off-road keyed high steer arms. These things are so beefy! Such an obviously great idea.

Corbeau seats.

Spent a couple days getting the shop all cleaned up so I'm not searching for tools more than working....then I proceeded to make it a huge mess within a few hours.

Made a flatbelly/crossmember from a sheet of 3/8" plate.

Got the tunnel all hacked up.

Started some tube work up front. I was going to make an all tube chassis but I decided if I was going to do that I would have just built a tube buggy. This stuff is pretty hard by yourself.

Getting a little more done. Made up some motor mounts, and got the engine mounted. Next is the skid plate and starting on the rear.

Cool! I'm in the process of building one also!
fef35ef68b321f63dbe0314691b108a3.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Stuntman Autoworks said:
Deffinately going to watch this, but speaking from experience sell the IROKS and get a set of stickies.

Believe it or not iroks do better than stickies around here.

Keep the IROKs! I loved my 39.5's but finally gave into my curiosity for the BFG red labels. I have to say they're worth it, but on a rig like yours and mine the IROK's work like a champ. Super soft (flexible) but tough sidewalls, tread cleans easily, and they're lightweight all adds up to a great setup. Seems like they get a bad rap from people trying to make them work on heavier rigs.

Thanks for starting a build thread...I'll be keeping up with it!

awesome can't wait for the updates. I wouls suggest that auto laying in the floor rather than the w56. I have always been a 5 spd fan, hell I drive one every day in Atlanta traffic 67 miles one way. Finally went to a Toyota auto and its amazing

Trust me I've thought about it a lot. But I'd have to get everything to mate it to the 3rz and an adapter for the d300 or I'd do it.

Rjhoward32006 said:
awesome can't wait for the updates. I wouls suggest that auto laying in the floor rather than the w56. I have always been a 5 spd fan, hell I drive one every day in Atlanta traffic 67 miles one way. Finally went to a Toyota auto and its amazing

Not to derail, but which auto did you go with RJ? I've been pushing easley to swap his but he can't make up his mind on which motor to settle with.

Some more done today.

I now think it would have been easier to build a tube chassis and a removable cab...