• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tire Balancing Question

jakes89f150

Well i got the tires for my truck 33x13.5x15 LTB's.
I got quotes from all the tire places in town. Discount being BY FAR the cheapest at $86 for dismount, mount, and balance.
or
$36 for dismount and mount. So the question is do the tires have to be balanced. Im going to be running some highway tires for the most part, but the LTBs are going to see the pavement, to and from trails and stuff. So the truck is going to see 60+mph on the highway.

So what are your guys opinions, Do i pay the extra $50 and have them balanced or go without...?

get 4 x 2000 count bottles of air soft pellets and dump 1 into each wheel / tire before seating the bead... balance done.

i've done this, and have told many friends to do this (with beadlocks) and the results are impressive!

thats a weird way to do it :corn: :beer:

I did the plastic BB's at fred meyers, bought (4) 5000 count at $7.99. And it did enough for a set of 36 Iroks and 39.5 Iroks. I can run the 36's at 70-80mph no shimmy's no shakes...:awesomework:

There is a chart that I'm sure if you search on here you'll find it, or it will pop up on here.

Is it weird now?:haha:

With LTB's you need some sort of balancing.... Those are the softest, most out of round things ever...

I did the plastic BB's at fred meyers, bought (4) 5000 count at $7.99. And it did enough for a set of 36 Iroks and 39.5 Iroks. I can run the 36's at 70-80mph no shimmy's no shakes...:awesomework:

There is a chart that I'm sure if you search on here you'll find it, or it will pop up on here.

Is it weird now?:haha:

2000= 9.4oz

It appears the site isn't working at the moment.
www.innovativebalancing.com.

I know that my 36 x 12.5 x 15 SS used 8-10 oz..

get 4 x 2000 count bottles of air soft pellets and dump 1 into each wheel / tire before seating the bead... balance done.

i've done this, and have told many friends to do this (with beadlocks) and the results are impressive!

I did this with my 36" Iroks with beadlocks and it works great

I had less then nice results with 31's but everything I have read says they work well for bigger tires, dont know why.

You should have them balanced if you can. A small wobble can get really annoying on the highway. It will take the fun out of your trip.

That said, I have never balanced my 35" MTR's on aluminum trailreadys and drive them often on I-5 and Hyw 2. Suprisingly, they run smooth as silk: weird. Don't expect this though.

Aluminum wheels will run truer (straighter) than steel, factor that in your decision too.

I suspect rim weights will last about 30 seconds off road 'til they touch the first rock or log.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

I'd go with beads (whether you use the real ceramic Dynabeads or the plastic pellets) since LTBs aren't known for their even wear patterns and you're likely to end up with some chunking off road anyway. With wheel weights, the tire is only actually balanced until you start driving on it. The beads continuously balance.

Plastic pellets are cheaper, but considerably lighter. You can buy the ceramic ones for about the same price you would have been paying the shop to balance with weights.

hmm....cus this same thing works for motorcycle tires...as in street bike tires....:eeek:

I know what you mean but the results that I had where less then desired, and I started with the recomended amount, when that didnt work I added more in about 500 bb increments, I was up to like 5000 pellets before I gave up and I was using the .2 gram airsoft bbs.

thats wierd,
i did 2000 in each of my bent up slick nick DIY beadlocks and it rides good at 55 (exept for that wheel hop, but thats a suspension problem)

When I had my LTB's on my Sami (you saw them Jake), I didn't have any shake/shimmy @ 55 mph, and they were not balanced--just thrown on some 15x8 steelies and run!!! Might be a weight thing (truck vs Sami)...try the bb thing...if it doesn't work, then go and pay to balance 'em...
Or, give me a call, and we'll set some time up to mount them here (have tire changer), maybe even try and bubble balance 'em....

I wouldn't bother. Had the same tires on my jeep and drove on the road just fine.:awesomework:

i have 34x10.5 ltb and don'y waste money on balacing them at a tire store. go with the bb. i have 9 onces of air soft bbs and they are doing better than when they where balanced.

i also have steel rims and believe atleast one of them might be bent. need to and more bb's.

and not mater what you do they will be rought intill the flat spots work them self out each morning when you leave first thing.

ltb are not that highway friendly.