• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

tire bead breaker

You can find an old Coates machine that is air powered and a lot easier to work with for around $300-500 bucks. There were a couple in the Misc for sale thread. Manual bead breakers are a PITA. Easier than not having one but still a pain.

an old neighbor of mine had a home brew set-up on a pole or post. square tube vertical to ground with bottom plate with holes drilled and a pin for adjustable height. then a round tube horizontal that pivoted on pole. sleeved with a tube and a vertical tube with plate. adjust it to bead set screw in top and a slip on breaker bar. pull it down real hard and it did the trick many times growing up. would be easy to build for cheap. let me see if I can find a similar pic online to describe

similar to bottom pic just made onto a pole in basement or shop
http://ikkatu.mainhp.net/homemade-tire-bead-breaker/

If I just have 1 or 2 tires to break off the bead I usually just set a 5-6ft long piece of 4"x4" wood post right by the bead and drive my truck up the post until the bead breaks. If I have a full set to break down I'll run by work, hop on the bobcat, throw the forks on and push all 4 tires off the beads in 30 seconds. :smoke:

That manual breaker looks easy enough to use thought. Also looks like it would be easy to make...

I bought one of those for $20 at a 4x4 shop. Said he hasn't used it in 2 years cause ha had a real tire machine.
I haven't tried to break any super swamped beads, however I've swapped out at least 8 15inch trailer tires with no problem. I bottle of windex and two cheap tire spoons from harbor freight.
I did one on my enclosed in about 10 mins. Blown tire off new tire on same rim. I am no tire guy.
Bead breaker is awesome on those tires. I'm anxious to try it on a big tire. It now permanently lives in my pickup.

redneckengineered said:
I change enough tires in the shop to make me think something like this might be worth the $200 if it actually worked. Does anyone here have experience with it?

https://timmcamis.com/shop/tire-bead-breaker.html
Or you could buys this one for 35$ , modify it to work on 17 inch rims, like I DID, and call it good.
Yes it works great for the last 15 years.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wide-Foot-Bead-Breaker,6977.html?sku=91082003&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=COL_qK3Uv9ECFQwyaQode84IIQ

When I had a bobcat I used that it was super easy. But now I use a high lift or porta power.. I have done from atv to 43 sxs I can't imagine an easier way other than a real tire machine plus you don't have to lift them and the wheels don't get messed up.

I use a cherry picker with the legs over the tire. Works like a champ.
Altho the jack on the harbor freight cherry picker wasn't strong enough.

X2 on the cherry picker.
Also curios about the bead breaker tool though. Seems lighter and more portable if it works worth a ****.

Eddyj said:
What are shrek tits?
molaugh molaugh molaugh Ebay gave me that name. When I was registering it asked me a few questions like what I like and stuff and came up with that name. I thought it was funny so I ran with it.