• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tire pressure and tread wear???

:haha: those are cool tools, but starting costs appear to be 2 tires' worth, and go waaay up from there... I will save myself the dough, and use the kids sidewalk chaulk for free! :redneck:

^x2

What this wheeler was saying is that the decreased heat from running higher pressures related to less tread wear even in the middle of the tread.

^x2

What this wheeler was saying is that the decreased heat from running higher pressures related to less tread wear even in the middle of the tread.

I think the takeaway here is that there's probably a sweet spot for heat and wear and 35lbs may be it for his set up but its not a universal across the board setting.

Street driven tires should have a specific PSI in them depending on the rating of the tire and the weight of the vehicle. Too much air means you will wear more in the center than the shoulders. Too little air means you will wear more on the shoulders than the center. Ultimately you can you what ever you want but your tires will wear unevenly.

A lot of people think you have to run a tire at max tire pressure for the tire to wear correctly. I want to slap these people... Repetitively.

I full agree with the last sentence.:awesomework: I run 35 x 12.50 15 on 8's @ 28 psi all year on the road,( 5th year on Mt's) treds at 12thrty sec at the wear bar on all 4. ( CHEERS) :beer:

after some testing I found that the max load at XXX psi generally gives the best tire life, simply because the tire is not heating up from flexing. generally, 35-45psi. I did not notice very significant extra wear in the middle (a hair more worn after 10k miles at 45psi) but I did notice the slower wear in general on the tire. heat is what kills tires. just ask Ford :)

after some testing I found that the max load at XXX psi generally gives the best tire life, simply because the tire is not heating up from flexing. generally, 35-45psi. I did not notice very significant extra wear in the middle (a hair more worn after 10k miles at 45psi) but I did notice the slower wear in general on the tire. heat is what kills tires. just ask Ford :)

That's exactly what I was getting at, tread wear is more reliant upon heat then actual contact. If the temperature of the tire is managed better by keeping the air pressure higher then there is less wear. Even if only a portion of the tire is in contact with the road the tire will show less wear over the same period then if the contact patch was evenly distributed across the tread.

Thanks for your input n16ht5.

Welp, I will disagree as to the wear being negligible in the center of an over-inflated tire for a given load/vehicle/use...If the contact patch is decreased, the now narrower contact patch will have increased contact pressure, causing the increased wear in the center of the tread. A tire does not have to get hot to wear, the heat kills the base structure of the tire, not the tread persay...
I have replaced COUNTLESS tires before their time on vehicles due to over/under inflation, some with as much as 7/32 on the outer edges of the tread while the center 2" section is literally bald...tires with a max rating of 80 psi, while on a rig that the pressures were set at 65---
BUT to each their own...

Welp, I will disagree as to the wear being negligible in the center of an over-inflated tire for a given load/vehicle/use...If the contact patch is decreased, the now narrower contact patch will have increased contact pressure, causing the increased wear in the center of the tread. A tire does not have to get hot to wear, the heat kills the base structure of the tire, not the tread persay...
I have replaced COUNTLESS tires before their time on vehicles due to over/under inflation, some with as much as 7/32 on the outer edges of the tread while the center 2" section is literally bald...tires with a max rating of 80 psi, while on a rig that the pressures were set at 65---
BUT to each their own...
Very well said Kev, completely agree with what you have mentioned.

I hear you guys and would agree it's only that I was told from an experienced wheeler that he was able to get quite remarkable tread life from running his bias Swampers at over inflated pressures most of the time when on the street. Now I can't say for sure if he was always running on the center of the tread as he stated that he adjusted the pressures accordingly often.

As for heat not effecting tread life, I think that is incorrect as the heat most definitely has a direct effect to tread wear along with wear and the break down of the tire carcass. Saying that it is IMO a combination of heat in the tread area along with the wear from encountering the many imperfections in the road that wears out our tires.

Thanks for all the input everybody...

BUT to each their own...
Agree with this.

I think that it is like most other things in that it is a trade off where you have to find the right balance.