• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tire pressure

JThompson

So, this last weekend, I knew I wanted a casual day out wheeling at Reiter with my girl and daughter. I also knew I would want a decent ride going home. I usually air down to around 6-8psi in the front, and 4-6 in the rear. I think I got used to this from the snow, and just continued on the trails/rocks.

I have a '91 Toyota 4x4 single cab, SAS, about 6" lift, some armor (about 3800 lbs total?) and my tires are 35x12.5x15 MTR's with about 30% tread.

Anyway, I aired down to around 15 in the front, and 12 in the rear. I was afraid of too much bounce and not enough grip, but was suprised. I had hardly any issues with traction, and did Sac-up fairly quick and easy. There was snow on the trail, especially up top. I also noticed I missed a lot of rocks/roots that I usually clip with my diffs. I know all of this is elementary, but I am just suprised that I liked this air pressure that day.

What do you all run? Different pressures for different situations?

Ive found when the ground has a foot or more on it that I can surpass guys on 35s and 37s with my 33s at 4psi in front and 2 in the rear because it just grips so well I have actually filled up my engine bay with snow because I was going through 5 feet of snow not over it like most guys on 40s usually for light snow and tipical wheeling I run 10 front and 8 rear

On the buggy:
39x13.50x17 BFG Krawlers - 9psi w/BL

39.5x13.50x17 Iroks - 6psi w/BL

On the CJ-5:
33x12.50x15 TSL - 10-12psi w/o BL

Wow money that's a Sweet Buggy in your avatar!!! Oh ya ...I run 5psi almost all the time...snow / rocks trails.....:awesomework: I have trail ready beadlocks...:awesomework:

every place may differ...rocks snow mud sand hard pan soft etc.. so i would wright down tire pressure that you like best for each area you go so you already know before you get there but keep in mind tire tread is a little less each time you go,,,i didnt get to be state champ for nothing,,,,,,thanks

What tire gauge do you guys use to get a good reading under about 10 psi? Most gauges don't go that low and the one I had apparently does not work.

I use the Napa Red Pencil gauge. Works from 0 to 20 psi. Don't try to use it on anything over 20psi or you will ruin the gauge.

Anywho, I run my 35 Creepy's on DIY locks at 5 for trail use. 0 to 1 psi for the snow. And 12 to 15 on the street.

What tire gauge do you guys use to get a good reading under about 10 psi? Most gauges don't go that low and the one I had apparently does not work.

cheap low pressure pencil guage, best thing out there. Can't break it by bouncing around in the truck like a dial guage and it won't lose calibration so easily either. For really low pressure get an ATV one, they read up to 7-8lbs in 1/4lb increments.

Thanks for your input so far guys and gals. I am getting the usual responses, as far as I can tell.

I do have to say, that so far, I am suprised I have not lost a bead yet... Knock on wood!!!! :redneck:
I have ran with anywhere between 4-10 lbs for a couple years now with my MTR's, including a couple times when my valve core wasn't working well, and at the end of my day (Sac-up, Isabelle, with sidehilling, etc..) I had no measureable pressure in one of my front tires... Oh, and I run 15x8 black steelies. I love skinny wheels! :cheer:

Latest posts