• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Title woes

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
So, I have heard of guys buying rigs just for the title and using that title for registration...Like on buggies for example, Is that all there is to it? :eeek: I am a little skeptical, I know there is a thread around here or the other forum... that has this info. I don't want to be doing anything illegal, but I have heard of guys doing this before and having no problems, so what is the secret? Do you still have to take it in for inspection and whatnot...? I have a lost title claim for the cab of my truck and I still have yet to get a title for the frame, suburban frame, I was thinking If i could get the title for the frame that would be enough and the truck would be registered, but I am gathering that it's not that simple...:booo:

Is this so you can get a lisence plate?

correct. And insurance and drive it...

EDIT: I am just trying to avoid having to go and get it inspected... not that i have a problem with that, I just don't want to hassle with it...

Last edited:
The type of vehicle which gets returned when the police call it in should look some what like what the officer thinks it should look like... Jeeps are easy as a willy's CJ yj all look like the same shape but if it looks like a little pickup but is reported as a Chevy suburban... well that doesn't look so good...

The type of vehicle which gets returned when the police call it in should look some what like what the officer thinks it should look like... Jeeps are easy as a willy's CJ yj all look like the same shape but if it looks like a little pickup but is reported as a Chevy suburban... well that doesn't look so good...

True, That's kinda what i figured... So what about Getting a title for a LUV then? If they look at it and see the VINs on the body and the title don't match up i'm in big doo-doo also... SO how do guys with buggies get away with it? do they take the vin from the vehicle they got the title from and place it on the dash or something?

See i have the lost title info for the LUV body I have now, but my next step apparently is having it inspected and since i don't have a title for the frame, won't they say that is a no-no too, or do i have to go through the same lost title bull-crap with that.

Do you have a receipt for the frame? Something from a junk yard or was it a private party? The junk yard should have listed the burb as a junker so a receipt from a yard at the time of inspection would work fine but if you don't want to have the inspection done well go find a $100 luv get it licensed and plated then relocate the info you need.

The title needs to match the vin on the frame and/or body. If you are building one rig from several then you need to go get it inspected and they will either issue a new vin or choose one of the existing ones to use. The inspection is not a big deal, you just need to have reciepts for all the parts you used.

The title needs to match the vin on the frame and/or body. If you are building one rig from several then you need to go get it inspected and they will either issue a new vin or choose one of the existing ones to use. The inspection is not a big deal, you just need to have reciepts for all the parts you used.

it is easy but it will need to be legal to operate on the street from signals seat belt's down to parking brake

it is easy but it will need to be legal to operate on the street from signals seat belt's down to parking brake

Ya, I know that, I have done the stuff needed for the lost title on the LUV body, short of getting a title, I was told my next step was to take it in and have it inspected... But i am also now hearing I only need to do that if I plan on selling it soon after...:eeek: :corn:

I don't know about in WA, but in Oregon you can get a salvage title. And most of the time, I've only seen them check the door and dash vin, and never a frame vin.

I don't know about in WA, but in Oregon you can get a salvage title. And most of the time, I've only seen them check the door and dash vin, and never a frame vin.

A salvage title is the result of declaring the vehicle a total loss. Not something you "want".

If the luv simply had a lost title, and you've got a "affidavit in lieu of title", it's as good as a title basically. Take it down to the licensing office and they'll transfer it. The affidavit in lieu of title is a form the PO would have gotten and filled out and signed when they sold it to you... it basically says they lost the title, but here's a notarized piece of paper saying it belongs to them and they have the right to sell it. They DOL will issue you a new title, but I believe it's pending any other claims to the vehicle (not sure?). No vehicle inspection required on this. This is how I bought my '90 F-350, and I now have a normal title with my name on it.

Did it previously have a salvage title? If it's just a lost title I don't believe you have to have it inspected.

It does not have a salvaged title.

NotMatt:

I have a bill of sale, but not from the person that was on the title... I have sent the TRUE P.O. A Letter requesting a title (affidavit in lieu of title), but it was sent back (his p.o. box was closed), I know I have waited the 1-3 months you are supposed to wait after getting a "no reply" returned letter. So what do I do now?:eeek: I still have the letter unopened and a copy of what I sent him for my own records. I was told by DOL to take the letter with me to an inspection place... but if I can bypass that it would be nice.

*looking over paperwork...*

Ok, so reading more... i have this piece of paper from the DOL saying:

This is apparently for 3 year registration...

1. Send the original affidavit and letter of explanation to the last known registered owner, certified mail, with a return reciept.

2. Wait for either the letter or the signed return reciept to be sent back to you. If the signed return reciept is sent back, wait 15 more days after acknowledged reciept. If your unopened envelope is sent back, do not open.

3. Bring the unopened letter or return reciept and the vehicle to W.S.P. to have the vehicle inspected.

4. (emission mumbo jumbo)

5. Bring the unopened letter and WSP inspection forms back to the licensing agency.