• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TJ Hiems

Jaydog

I am upgrading my Hiems to QA1's, my uppers were shot and I have problems shearing bolts because the long arm kits are a bolt in, and the stock bolts are tiny, so I am upgrading to a 5/8 bolt, anyhow if you have an off the shelf long arm that is a direct bolt in, I would suggest going with 5/8 inserts.

Here is the comparison between the stock and 5/8 bolt

heims002.jpg

heims001.jpg

I am having some trouble drilling the upper link mounts because there is only about 3" of clearance between the mount and the engine, anyone have any idea's, I'm thinking maybe a 90 degree drill? :eeek:

I could blow them off and build new ones since they are stock and a weak point, but any input would be great. :awesomework:

heims005.jpg

Last edited:
not sure I understand.

Stock UCA link mount issues with a Long arm. What long arm? Thought most did not use the stock UCA location.

Why not just 9/16 for the uppers.

Any way, I have had good luck with a uni bit for the outer hole, then a normal bit for the inner hole. 90 degree drill also helps. Be careful not to over drill with the UNI bit.

not sure I understand.

Stock UCA link mount issues with a Long arm. What long arm? Thought most did not use the stock UCA location.

Why not just 9/16 for the uppers.

Any way, I have had good luck with a uni bit for the outer hole, then a normal bit for the inner hole. 90 degree drill also helps. Be careful not to over drill with the UNI bit.

It's a Skyjacker, IIRC RE uses the stock UCA brackets in the front as well, I figured that if I was going to go bigger then I may as well do it right, 9/16 isn't big enough IMO. The difficulty I was having was not being able to drill them due to the clearance. :redneck:

Jason, I have a couple of close quarters drills (90s) you can borrow. You might be able to get the outer one with a uni-bit and then the inner one with a regular bit.

Jason, I have a couple of close quarters drills (90s) you can borrow. You might be able to get the outer one with a uni-bit and then the inner one with a regular bit.

Sweet, I will take you up on that, I got all of them done but the front uppers. I have some running around to do tomorrow, I'll give you a call then. Thanks :D